We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Bike Lights

1 2 >
jimwoo25 02 Sep 01:18  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi guys,

New member and first time poster!

With the winter months set to creep in soon and my work being kind to us and changing shifts, i now cycle in at around 5:00am some mornings.

I have been looking for some bike lights, nothing too fancy, but something that is durable, preferably LEDs, will make me seen easily and easy to attach/remove from my handle bars quickly.

Can anyone reccomend any good lights? I know it probably seems like a daft question due to the number of different lights you can get but i have purchased three sets in the last two weeks. Two of them have broken and the other set is not easy to take the top off to replace the batteries as they are very small and seem liable to breakage.

If anyone has any reccomendations, it will be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of any good cycle routes in the west midlands, that would be great.

Thanks guys
Jim

STID 02 Sep 03:10  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Jim, I am using a 5 LED Cateye with 4 settings. Been using it for a while now, and am very pleased with it. Lights are very bright and the access is via a sliding door on the rear. Takes 2 AAA and they last ages. I use a rear light all year round, even in the summer and during the day, and it still works perfectly.

Front light is a Canyon with 4 very bright white LED's which takes 2 AA's.
It has 3 settings and access is underneath via a phillips screw.

Do an internet seach, some sites now have a customer review section on a page which can help a lot.

Good hunting

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

epa611 07 Sep 03:18  

Bike:

My Profile
Get a hub dynamo built into your front wheel (either SON or Shimano) then get a decent front dynamo light such as Schmidt Edeluxe or a B&M Cyo. Looks expensive at first, but never need to worry about batteries running out or leaving home and forgetting your lights. Fit and forget ;-)

dudley 07 Sep 08:40  

Bike:

My Profile
rear lights - get TWO sets

have one set permanently on, and the other on flashing

front - depends if you need them to see where you going as well as to be seen.

If it is just to be seen (built up area - streetlights etc) then no need to spend a fortune. Heaps of options on the market.

However, if you need it to light your way (country lanes - no streetlights) you choices are more limited, and the price goes up!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

mattk 07 Sep 10:12  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Jim,

I used to use an older version of the Cateye EL135 (which was much heavier and took 4x AA batteries - I found this a pretty good light given the price range, but I was only letting others know I was there... and as Dudley mentioned if you need a light that paves your way in the dark (unlit paths) then you will need to pay more - maybe look at something like the Cateye EL600 which is still great value but quite a bit brighter

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN

forlinianslip 08 Sep 04:31  

Bike:

My Profile
Bike lighting is a significant problem.

I just can't come to spend £25 for a headlight. Yet, I can't stand the cheap ones which have all kinds of problems.

I have resorted to buying the somewhat cheaper ones in bulk from ebay. I get five headlamps and five taillights at a time. When one breaks, I salvage usable parts.

I buy cheap batteries. I keep spare batteries and spare lights with my bike kit (with pump and spare tube and basic tools).

I also have strapped a headlamp to my helmet. I also managed to find a red light which permanently affixes to the back of my helmet. Thus, I have lights with me wherever I go, so long as I'm wearing a helmet.

jimwoo25 14 Sep 16:46  

Bike:

My Profile

Thanks for the response.

I have recently purchased a pair of LED lights from a local cycling shop and they are brilliant. Velcro straps are great cause you can take them off easily and they fit round any size handle bars/saddle posts.

Only £15, best accesory i have purchased so far! If i remeber to, i will post the info up.

Cheers again
Jim

STID 15 Sep 03:27  

Bike:

My Profile
Jim, interested to know the lights you bought. I am looking to add extra lights to my helmet for the winter, and what you have might fill that criteria. The velcro fitting makes them more versatile, and quicker to fix and remove.

jimwoo25 15 Sep 05:26  

Bike:

My Profile

Hi STID,

The lights i got are called Glo and Ember by Trek. I suppose it is personal preference, but i really reccomend them.

The only slight problem i had was getting the top off the lights to take the battery cover off, but i had a faulty set. They are actually more robust than i had originally given credit for. The batteries last for around 45 hours each, i think maybe more in 'static' mode as apposed to flashing. They are great for being seen as apposed to lighting your way if thats what you need them for. I use them for drivers to spot me on the busy roads i cycle to work.

Below is a link for them on the internet. I got mine from a local bike shop for urgency for £15 but i think they are cheaper on the net if you shop around. The attached link have them for £13.20! If you buy them from a store, get the sales assistant to demonstrate getting to the batteries to change them as they have small lift up slots on the sides for ease of use.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/111711.html

Happy shopping!
Jim

STID 16 Sep 02:58  

Bike:

My Profile
Jim, great find, and I believe you cannot have enough lights when riding in the dark. I am lit up like a Christmas tree while winter cycling, I never want to hear, "I never saw him" if I ever have an encounter with a car.

The fact that they velcro, are cheap and so bright is a great attraction, I will be getting a set soon.

Another set of lights I would recommend are a 4 red LED arm band which I got from Tesco last year. Incredible cheap, they fit around the ankle or arm, use a watch type battery and have a flashing and static mode. They might have been on a promotion, but check out your local store to see if they do them again this year.

They are most effective when worn on the ankle, and your foot moves up and down. The drivers eyes are drawn to the almost strobe effect given off, and makes you stand out.

Thanks again for the link.

jimwoo25 19 Sep 16:42  

Bike:

My Profile

Just to let you know if you are interested that if you have any Home Bargain stores near you, they are selling individual flashing/static lights for helmets for 99p each.

Thought it might be a good bargain!

Ta
Jim

STID 20 Sep 13:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for the heads up Jim. I am off to the US next week and intend to visit some cycle shops along the way. Looking at clothing, lights and a 2 lt hydration camel pack. I expect to pay in $'s what I would pay in £'s over here. The exchange rate is $1.57 to the £ at the moment, so a bargain is to be had somewhere along the way.

Also going to check out the price of inner tubes, tyres, locks, reflective strips and anything else that might catch my eye.

I am all dollared up and it is burning a hole in my pocket already.

jimwoo25 20 Sep 16:06  

Bike:

My Profile
sounds like you are all geared up for some bargain hunting! Are you taking your bike over for a cycling tour as well?

I went to my local cycle shop today and really wanted to buy a new bike for around 400 pounds. Not really sure what to get though, road bike, hybrid or new hardtail.

Seen as though you seem to be good at bargain hunting, got any tips? What sort of riding do you get up to?thinking of branching out into downhill soon!

Cheers and have a good break!
Jim

STID 20 Sep 16:46  

Bike:

My Profile
Jim, I am more than ready to do some bargain hunting. In the past I got a 2lt hydration camel pack for £10.

My advice on buying a bike is do so just before they bring out a new range. They want to get rid of the end of range stuff to make way for the new stock. Reductions and discount are available at this time.

Last August, I bought an end of range Giant road bike SCR1 for £850. I asked and got £85 to spend in store, got spare tyres, locks and bits. Always worth asking because they can only say YES or NO.

All my riding is done on my Giant and road work. On my own at my own pace, I like to do 60 miles + per weekend day. I like to point the bike and go. Discover villages and roads I would not normally drive down. You see so much you would normally miss when you speed by in a car.

Nothing nicer on a summer day ( when we get one ), going on a journey when you have no idea were you will come out or what you might see.

I want to cycle to Mapledurham near Reading soon, check out the water mill where Black Sabbath's debut album cover was shot.

Jim, What sort of bike do you have your eye on ? Let me know what you decide when you have decided.

Thank you very much. I am flying to Boston then over the course of 10 days, I am going from Connecticut to Nashville. Staying with a friend in Nashville then home. No cycling this time but in Nov I am back, but this time Detroit/Cleveland. I am in contact with a cycle club in Cleveland and hope to join them for a site seeing tour on the Sat.

Good hunting with your quest for a new bike. Hope you get a bargain and a great bike.

MICKTHELOON 01 Oct 15:08  

Bike:

With the mention of velcro lights Tesco are doing red ones for 99p at the moment.The front ones are still around £3 though

bikebag 13 Oct 13:39  

Bike:

I am an experienced Audax rider and have done many through the night time rides. I have spent a lot of money on lights in the past.

The best in my opinion is a Fenix LD20 at about £46 but if you want a real bargain go to Tescos and buy their 3watt LED the one with the Cree led. It is not electronically controlled like the Fenix but at about £8 it is absolutely brilliant. It takes 2 AA batteries. They also do a 2 C type battery LED light at about £12 and with one of each on your handle bars you would see brilliantly and would definitely be seen.

Fenix have there own website where you can buy velro type adaptors that suit both the Fenix and the Tesco ones.

If I did a 400k Audax now I would use either two Fenix or one Fenix and a Tesco or a big and a small Tesco led. Either set up will put £200 lights to shame.

bikebag 13 Oct 13:40  

Bike:

Forgot to say Tesco do not list then as bike lights but as torches. In fact Fenix are really torches too but because of the demand they now offer the handle bar attachment.

mattk 15 Oct 10:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Just came across these Bell lights at Asda: http://direct.asda.com/Light-Night-Trail/000953438,default,pd.html?cm_sp=sports-_-department-banner-_-toprated_2

Front light has a Xenon and 2 LEDs, Rear light has 5 LEDs. For £10 they seem pretty good value!

keep_fit 20 Oct 22:55  

Bike:

My Profile
think I'll check that one at my local store
as I maybe looking 2 upgrade mine - dont think they're bright enough for early morning rides

DaveMc 23 Oct 18:13  

Bike:

Hey Jim,

If you are looking for lights that are easy to fit and remove try these...

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/p_details.aspx?id=4727

Micro flexilite, £9.99. elasticated straps, simply strap onto your bars or seatpost,
fit right in your pocket too! You can get them from Hobson cycles, Litherland.

STID 23 Oct 19:00  

Bike:

My Profile
DaveMc, thanks for the link. I went in looking for more details and found it was absolute rubbish. One ariel shot, no profile or front view picture.

I then clicked on the spec and below is what they have to say about it. No info on how many lights it has, number of modes and the batteries it uses. Nowadays anybody can have a site, not everybody has a well designed, informative and well thought out one.
----------------------------------------------------------

RSP Mico front flexilite
Co-moulded flexible front micro light

Material: N/A
Colour: White
Weight: N/A

jimwoo25 23 Oct 20:21  

Bike:

My Profile
cheers for the post dave,

Now the winter nights are drawing in, im looking to glow like a christmas tree so the more the better!

Thanks again
Jim

globalfish 27 Nov 20:20  

Bike:

My Profile
Try the LED torches on Deal Extreme's website - about $40 and as almost as bright as my £300 Hope HID.

Full listings on this thread on the OTTmountainbike website

http://ottmountainbike.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=pictures&thread=53

good in the woods for 20mph+

You'll have cars give way to you too - I always love it when they do that :-)

mattk 02 Dec 12:07  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi GlobalFish,

They look pretty good for that sort of money. OK you may have to do a little DIY to get them to fit to handlebars/helmet, but they're way cheaper than Hope HID's.

krazykayaker 02 Dec 16:07  

Bike:

My Profile
My P7 Torch from deal extreme is on its way!!

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Corley Circular via Fillongley and Ash Green

AlexUK 17 May 18:21  

Bike:

Just a quick thank you to the guy who mentioned the fenix bike mounts, as I already have an ld20 this will save me a lot of money and get me a good winter proof light!

z1ppy 20 Oct 16:23  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi jim
i have just bought the fibre flare from wiggle , what a great rear light it is , go have a look on utube at them
cheers steve

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Trowbridge to Westbury and Bratton Circuit

sean8997 20 Oct 16:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Jim,

Did I hear you say you cycle into work at 0500 in the morning?

I didnt know such a time exists, I'm well and trully shocked!!!!!!

My Latest Route: Nov 2011 Bala Lake Vernwy Loop

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.