We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

whats the best snacks to take on rides

1 2 >
gipa 23 Feb 13:35  

Bike:

My Profile
when i go out i seem to always end up taking a couple of mars bars ,

rustyspoke 24 Feb 12:46  

Bike:

My Profile
It depends on what you like and you can spend a small fortune on the energy bars and stuff or you can make up your own ride food
I make up my own stuff ,
Nuts Rasins,fruit yes chocolate sometimes rice pudding sachets
It really is just a matter of what you like and cost.
You needs to do a bit of web reaserch because whats suits one may not suit you.

gipa 25 Feb 03:56  

Bike:

My Profile
thinking of trying new stuff out ..... and get the energy pumping lol

BusterG 27 Feb 08:23  

Bike:

My Profile
I too stick to chocolate or mini malt loaves and have done my own raison and nut mixes. Gels and some energy drinks make me ill so I tend to avoid them. I havent worked out what about them disagree with me so I just avoid them.
Good luck.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

Captain13 27 Feb 13:23  

Bike:

My Profile
i usually do 42 - 52 miles in 4 hours to 4 hours 20, i usually take out a tupperware box of pasta and vegetables.... great energy food and along with a small chocolate bar for if i get the slight lack of energy shakes.

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 North Cheshire Loop

BusterG 27 Feb 14:52  

Bike:

My Profile
oooh , too hardcore for me. i bet you dont even cook any of it
captain.

skiad1 27 Feb 15:57  

Bike:

My Profile
oat cereal bar in pocket, mandatory lunch stop(cheap sarnie from supermarket or roll/cake/cuppa from cafe), high5 4:1 in the bottle. If it's a long day out & need a boost for home(I'm really lucky to have about 8 weeks(july & august) to do nothing but ride, and noone to tell me not to.....anymore.....and so that's what I do :)) I'll prob grab a couple of choc bars, refill bottle with some drink or other(powerade/lucozade type) and neck a redbull, during a shop stop. Whilst touring last summer, this late day 'top-up' became a daily ritual(I was covering anything from about 70-140mls a day, loaded) and worked wonders for the last 2-3hrs of that day. I tried one of those gels once or twice(free with bike bits order) and it was like rocket fuel.....until the rocket fuel ran out......big highs=big lows. Dunno what kinda riding I'd use them for and, though I'm not into racing, I couldn't help but think that short/high intensity rides would be best served by these. Either that or use loads to keep the rocket fuel topped up on big day rides.....I'm getting too old now to experiment with rocket fuel :)

skiad1 27 Feb 16:00  

Bike:

My Profile
Oh,and when I was 20 & doing a charity ride from perth-inverness-perth I consumed 13 mars bars(not all at the same time). They were the energy gels back then!

gipa 27 Feb 17:24  

Bike:

My Profile
ive got plenty to take in here lol but i do love the odd mars bar

Pesmo 28 Feb 14:45  

Bike:

My Profile
I always take a banana that I eat about 40% of the way through my ride, some slightly sweetened tea and a choc bar that I will eat if I find that I am flagging just before the end of the ride.

gauravolacabs 29 Feb 06:52  

Bike:

I always like to bring sandwich and bread butter

sdwalker 29 Feb 10:06  

Bike:

My Profile
I think general nutrition wise carbs 1-2 hours before you ride like pasta, oats, bread, and rice are good as they take a long time to break down and turn into energy so you dont want them sitting in your stomach while your churning your legs and the way round I will have bottle of water/ sqaush and then either lucozade or powerade iso which has the rehydrating salts to get the wet stuff in your body quiker their are some other powders you can get too and mix in to water but I dont like them that much. High sugar foods for quick snacks as an energy boost, like mars or snickers (the caramel is just sugar) or a Banna.

happy trails

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

gipa 29 Feb 12:55  

Bike:

My Profile
great replies im loving it keep them coming .i will be trying all out .

Pesmo 03 Mar 18:00  

Bike:

My Profile
I forgot to add that well before I go out I do usually have a bowl of Porridge to fuel up. I find it works well.

gipa 04 Mar 08:21  

Bike:

My Profile
hate porridge lol

jonsea 04 Mar 12:26  

Bike:

My Profile
When i go on long cycle or walking trips ( not very often) i take porridge oats in a small plastic container, mix some with cold water and a sugar cube and enjoy.

My Latest Route: Apr 2012 lowestoft normanston park

BusterG 05 Mar 05:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Urgh! JonesA, no! I can do hot porrige but not cold and watery! maybe bang it into a bar and let it harden.

jonsea 05 Mar 06:24  

Bike:

My Profile
Yea , i know it sounds a bit yuk yuk , but it is well worth trying, and it tastes much better than it should .

In my youth i used to do some potholing and this was the ideal thing to take for an energy boost ( before the advent of all these energy type bars ) when we could not easily find or afford Kendal Mint Cake , so maybe i am just addicted !!!!!

jonsea 05 Mar 06:24  

Bike:

My Profile
Yea , i know it sounds a bit yuk yuk , but it is well worth trying, and it tastes much better than it should .

In my youth i used to do some potholing and this was the ideal thing to take for an energy boost ( before the advent of all these energy type bars ) when we could not easily find or afford Kendal Mint Cake , so maybe i am just addicted !!!!!

jonsheehy 06 Mar 16:16  

Bike:

Id like to buy the smallest and easiest snacks to keep me going that wont slow me down, some of these snacks cost a small fortune though

proghome 07 Mar 04:54  

Bike:

Nutrigrain bars or Aldi equivalent, and tescos fig rolls (best fig rolls imo) all easy to eat whilst riding

gipa 07 Mar 12:42  

Bike:

My Profile
fig rolls i love prog ,but how many would i take out on a 3 hour ride say

sdwalker 07 Mar 12:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Caramel rocky's are my choice biscuit caramel and chocolate in a bite size mouth full id take 3-5 ish

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

gipa 07 Mar 13:09  

Bike:

My Profile
will check both this weekend ,getting hungry lol

proghome 07 Mar 13:44  

Bike:

Hi,my fav' biscuit I was pleased to find they were so good for you, a pack contains ten, so 3 to 5 on the 1st and 2nd hour dependant on difficulty level, plus your 5ooml iso drink. Each fig roll contains 13grms carbs, drink aprox 33. Make sure you buy tescos, higher carbs per biscuit plus half the price, last look 39p. All the best.

gipa 07 Mar 13:50  

Bike:

My Profile
tescos is just down the road and the fig rolls will be my main .cant wait prog .

RobertDenison 16 Apr 16:19  

Bike:

When it comes to snacks for rides, convenience and tastiness are key! Snack Monkey LLC has you covered with perfect options. Snack Monkey LLC are portable, delicious, and will keep you fueled up for your ride!

RobertDenison 16 Apr 16:19  

Bike:

When it comes to snacks for rides, convenience and tastiness are key! Snack Monkey LLC has you covered with perfect options. Snack Monkey LLC are portable, delicious, and will keep you fueled up for your ride!

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.