We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

HELP struggle road tyre puncture

annieslandmissile 04 May 19:17  

Bike:

My Profile
Usually i am ok at taking off the tyre and fixing a puncture and have easily done so on my MTB but on my Road bike it is proving very hard to get the tyre back on the wheel. The new inner tube has some extra slack which I think means its not the right size of inner tube and is too big.

I have been using 700x23 C size original but am now using Continental Race 28, 700x18/25 . 27x3/4. Am I using the right inner tube size? Are most inner tubes for road bikes pretty much all the same?

It was just that when i was putting the tyre back in place on the wheel I could not get the last little bit on it was just too tight too pull up on to the wheel.

Any advise, help much appreciated?

Might have to go down to local bike shop.

JCV 15 May 15:41  

Bike:

Hi.
I had the same problem a few times and the only remady I'm affraid is to use good quality metal tyre levers, but be careful you don't damage the rim s. It seems that the different tyre and rim combinations can cause this problem.

BusterG 16 May 09:49  

Bike:

My Profile
someone posted on this forum a very good video that helped my with my brandspanking new marathon plus tyres.
No levers just zipties.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

BusterG 16 May 09:50  

Bike:

My Profile
this one.

http://www.cycle-route.com/forum/Bike-Shed-Putting-new-tyres-on-there-must-be-an-easy-way-Thread-3720.html

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

leelee 16 May 17:04  

Bike:

My Profile
700x20c may pop in a 28c tyre a 700xsay a 3.2 off a hiybred is too much rubber
for a 20c will go on but harder

pyromanic 20 May 04:37  

Bike:

the slack your getting with the inner tube is because a 27x3/4 is longer thand a 700x to solve it on a mountaian bike you just fold it opposite to the valve and no worries about flat spots have never tried it on a road bike tho

Pesmo 24 May 03:53  

Bike:

My Profile
I hope I am not telling you how to suck eggs, but you are putting a few puffs of air into the tube before attempting to reseat the tyre aren't you ? Doing this takes away some slack as it pushes the tube out of the bottom of the rim trough and into the outer circumference of the tyre. Additionally makes it less likely that you will nip the tube and puncture it.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.