We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Putting new tyres on, there must be an easy way

BusterG 07 Mar 05:18  

Bike:

My Profile
I struggled to put new puncture resistant tyres on last night. they carry a lot more rubber than my old tyres.
I punctured an inner tube in the process of putting ther first omne on so had to take it off once i got it on. The second keeps unhooking on the other side of the tyes just as it looks like it is all comming together.

I hooked they tyre on - OK
Inserted the inner tube slightly inflated - OK
With the wheel on the floor I started with tyres levers (clockwise) slipping the tyres in - OK
as i got more than a quarter of the way around i realised I was 3 hands short as I couldnt hold 2 levers and insert the 3rd effectively (without ripping the inner tube as it turns out)
When it looked like I was winning the tyre was popping out on the reverse side of the wheel leaving me to do it all again.

At least i got 1 tyre on and facing the correct direction for rotation. I could hear the other tyre laughing at me as I went to bed last night - defeated for now.

Any handy tool tips?

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss
guitarpete247 07 Mar 11:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Buster, I hope you've got your 2nd tyre on by now.;) Here's a good video from a guy at Spa Cycles that shows you how to put on Marathon Plus' (they have a real reputation of being a pig to put on) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4 . He does it without levers they way I've always done it.
I only use levers to get tyres off but apparently pushing the tyre into the well of the rim works just as well for removal.
I put some Marathon's on last November but gave myself a ganglion on the inside of my wrist forcing the last bit in. Just swapped them fort Conti Ultra Sports and no ganglion.

My Latest Route: Apr 2011 Newton Burgoland Circular via Fenny Drayton and Bosworth

sdwalker 07 Mar 12:06  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Dude

Are they foldable tyres or do they have a metal beading? on my single speeder i had deep dish rims 16mm tyres which had a 2mm ali beeding on both sides. i got a couple of pinch punctures trying to get tyres on and found that the best way to do it is start with just 1 tyre leaver and after you have got a good grip just fold over thes side then disregard the leaver (it has normally fallen out by about half way round anyway) and just sware and curse using both hand folding the beeding in then the last 3-4 inches back to the tyre leaver for a simple 'pop' and voila. normally takes a good 10 mins per wheel and also instead of using the more expensive punture resistant tyres i just use the pre filled slime tubes after my last post re these went out and got some and have had no problems what so ever.

happy trails

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

qwiksilver 07 Mar 14:24  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Buster,
You dont need 3 levers to put a tight tyre on,

1.inflate the tube to rounded insert into the tyre (make sure its seated nicely not twist and in the center).

2.push one side of the tyre over the rim it should go pretty easy if it don't bend it down towards rim (over and outside the rim).

3.grip the tyre flat and bend down towards the rim same as the previous step but with both hands working in opposite directions once about 2/3's to 3/4's way round it should become very difficult to pull the last bit in (not always sometimes you can do it all in this way) this is where you use the levers.

4.now you have 2 levers and a tyre mostly on which should stay in place as its mostly on so slide the levers in and push down(in to the rim not flattening tyre) then drag repeat this motion until the end pops over.

in the words of alexander the meerkat "simples (squeek)".

BusterG 08 Mar 04:26  

Bike:

My Profile
Cheers for the replies chaps.
it all sounds so easy - dont know what I was doing!?!

Pesmo 08 Mar 14:43  

Bike:

My Profile
The marathons also go on better if you stick them in front of a radiator for a couple of hours to soften the rubber a little.

The SPA cycles video is very much a masterclass on how to fit a tyre. Like him I never use levers to fit a tyre, only to take one off.

BusterG 09 Mar 07:01  

Bike:

My Profile
Beaut! She went on like a dream lastnight.
Radiator and zip ties beats tape, 3 levers and an extrahand everyday.
I put 30 miles on the new tyres this morning too. Another 30 going home tonight.
Fan-blooming-tastic!

sdwalker 10 Mar 04:14  

Bike:

My Profile
Thats a long old commute how flat is that?

In Kent we have a ride over similar distance called hell of the ashdown (google it) which has some of this countries wors hills. The TDF even turned down parts of the course because they said it was too difficult for their riders!! it took my rather fit friend 4hours 30 to complete.

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

BusterG 14 Mar 06:53  

Bike:

My Profile
Yeah it is long but I only do it once a week.
the hills are generally short and sharp if there is no traffic you can generally get a run off one hill onto the next one but a few hill end at busy intersections so you have to stop and start allover again at the bottom of the next hill.

nice route through the country lanes though so I dont mind. you can check it out on here - it is liss to basingstoke (not the via the wield route). I have lengthened it a bit by going via a colleagues house in Sherfield to pick him up for the final 5miles.

magpie667 27 Mar 07:01  

Bike:

great thread with one very very important tip practise changing tyres in the garage once or twice its a lot easier than doing it for the first time in the dark with the wind howling and no mobile phone,this aint me being clever just recounting what happened to me once lol

worldnewsnow 22 Mar 07:38  

Bike:

My Profile
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now
world news now

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.