We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

trent and mersey canal

1 2 3 > >>
waggletails 07 Aug 13:34  

Bike:

has anyone cycled up the trent and mersey canal and back from nottingham?i m planning on doing it and camping along the way.i think if i do say 60 miles a day,which most peaple can do (including me)it should take me 3 maybe 4 days,the reason for doing it like that is i can take my time and maybe see some of the sites along the way.my question is the camping bit,should i just pitch my tent in a field along the way or pitch in a proper camp site,in which case does anyone know of camp sites along the trent and mersey canal or near to it.ur help would be great ,ta.

one legged biker 15 Aug 15:41  

Bike:

I cycled the Leeds Liverpool canal this year camping along the way (mostly in scout association sites). my winter project is planning the Trent and Mersey cycle/camping trip for 2010. There seems at first sight a lack of canalside campsites, I have only come accross Shardlow and Barrow on trent so far. Kibblestone scout camp is 2 to 3kms from the towpath at Stone. Looking at pictures and walking part of the canal in cheshire surprised me at how poor the towpath was, certainly the miles of locks from Wheelock to Kidsgrove are a real obstacle course, nothing like the bike friendly ones on the Leeds/L,pool and you should not forget that there are at least four long tunnels needing detours over the tops. I'm not a fit biker type, but I think 60 miles on the canal is optimistic to say the least, it depends how much talking to locals you do! Also do not forget the dreaded bike gates. My provisional plan is starting here in warrington along the Bridgewater, past three tunnels, evening meal at Pizza cafe on canal in Wheelock then rough camp on level area alongside far side of lock 59, second night at Kibblestone, third god knows, probably rough near Arlewas, finally canalside camp at Shardlow. These are relatively short distances but are fine for me. Buy a canal guide like Pearsons canal companion, it has distances, towpath condition (usually optimistic) and pubs/eateries along the way. Rough camping is usually possible on canals, but best done away from towns/villages. Good luck to you, Allan

waggletails 17 Aug 16:12  

Bike:

cheers mate ,let you know how i get on

lundon2210 22 Nov 15:15  

Bike:

hello waggletails
have you done your canal cycle trip allready? ive cycled various bit of the T n M in the past,the only bit ive not done is burton to fradley junction. i can recomend a few places to camp, some legal,and some wild camping,which is technically illegal, not that it ever stopped me. personally its not my fave canal to cycle, and id be happy to recommend easier and more scenic ones, its not the worst towpath surface. that honour belongs to the oxford canal. but long stretches of it are a bit rough. im planning a long distance canal ride for next summer, london to yorkshire. am i nuts? u may well ask, well its been suggested. email me direct if you prefer. lundon2210@aol.com.

Gary.

one legged biker 01 Jul 05:39  

Bike:

I did the T and M at the start of June setting out from London Bridge on the Bridgewater Canal at Warrington thence down to Shardlow and Derwent mouth at the end of the canal. The towpath was generally not as bad as I expected, 50% was fine, gravel path. But about 10 miles was pretty poor, very overgrown indeed. But for you fit types, all but about 2 miles would be cycleable, not so good for me and 10 kilos of panniers. 50 to 60 miles should therefore be reasonable for you, that means camping east of Harecastle tunnel, say Stone area. No real issues about camping, I rough camped twice, once at Sandbach at a double lock far side of the canal to the towpath, but beware, first narrow boat went through at 0530! complete with noisey sluice mechanism... Second time was at Branston next to the water park, but got bitten to death, insect repellant is a must if you do the trip.
A beautiful trip to make, plenty of canalside pubs and tearooms (esp at Stenson lock and Haywood Junction) to get grub at, but really suggest you buy Pearsons local canal guide for good information about canalside facilities. Well worth doing, why not try doing it in a day for a bet?
Allan

waggletails 01 Jul 17:20  

Bike:

i would like to thank you all for your advice unfortunately before i had the chance to cycle the trent and mersey canal i got knocked off my cycle on the way home from work a week before my epic journey and along with various cuts and bruises ,i had a broken collar bone which had to be plated to hold it together that was in sept 09,although im back on my bike im still having problems with my right arm and shoulder so with luck i should be fit enough to do the ride in 2011,i will also get the publication you mentioned,so once again thanks

seomind 24 Nov 08:50  

Bike:

My Profile
I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. Scam Risk

seomind 24 Nov 08:54  

Bike:

My Profile
Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer!.. Scam Risk

seomind 24 Nov 08:59  

Bike:

My Profile
Welcome to the party of my life here you will learn everything about me. Scam Risk

seomind 24 Nov 09:02  

Bike:

My Profile
Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post. Scam Risk

seomind 24 Nov 09:07  

Bike:

My Profile
It has fully emerged to crown Singapore's southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that. Scam Risk

seomind 24 Nov 09:12  

Bike:

My Profile
You actually make it look so easy with your performance but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never comprehend. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it! Scam Risk

Aaron213 25 Nov 09:47  

Bike:

My Profile
[url=https://www.cycle-route.com/forum/Reply-To-922.html]https://www.cycle-route.com/forum/Reply-To-922.html[/url]

Aaron213 25 Nov 09:48  

Bike:

My Profile
https://www.cycle-route.com/forum/Reply-To-922.html

mrseod 04 May 07:17  

Bike:

My Profile
This website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up! Clever Container Review

mrseod 04 May 07:21  

Bike:

My Profile
I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Clever Container Review

mrseod 04 May 07:25  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a fantastic website , thanks for sharing. goDesana Review

mrseod 04 May 07:28  

Bike:

My Profile
Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! goDesana Review

mrseod 04 May 07:31  

Bike:

My Profile
I see some amazingly important and kept up to length of your strength searching for in your on the site goDesana Review

mrseod 04 May 07:34  

Bike:

My Profile
I think it could be more general if you get a football sports activity Market Vision Review

mrseod 04 May 07:39  

Bike:

My Profile
Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Market Vision Review

mrseod 04 May 07:44  

Bike:

My Profile
wow... what a great blog, this writter who wrote this article it's realy a great blogger, this article so inspiring me to be a better person Market Vision Review

mrseod 04 May 07:47  

Bike:

My Profile
I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.. Majesty Hash Pro Review

mrseod 04 May 07:51  

Bike:

My Profile
I quite like reading an article that can make people think. Also, thanks for allowing for me to comment! Majesty Hash Pro Review

mrseod 07 Aug 07:30  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more ... good luck. BAM University

mrseod 07 Aug 07:38  

Bike:

My Profile
Actually I read it yesterday but I had some thoughts about it and today I wanted to read it again because it is very well written. BAM University

mrseod 07 Aug 07:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Took me time to understand all of the comments, but I seriously enjoyed the write-up. It proved being really helpful to me and Im positive to all of the commenters right here! Its constantly nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I am certain you had enjoyable writing this write-up. BAM University

mrseod 07 Aug 08:03  

Bike:

My Profile
I don t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site. BAM University

mrseod 07 Aug 08:34  

Bike:

My Profile
I have a mission that I’m just now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information BAM University

mrseod 07 Aug 08:36  

Bike:

My Profile
I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.. BAM University

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.