We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

cycling shoes

pea 21 May 09:20  

Bike:

My Profile
hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice please, a couple of years ago i bought a pair of shimano cycling shoes, I put the cleats and set everything up but after just about killing myself falling off I decided not to use them again. Is it possible to remove the fitting from the shoes and put a cover over and just use the cycling shoes like that, can the cleat just be covered? Or am I looking for a new pair of cycling shoes? Or would a good pair of trainers be just as good?

Pea

hookhai 22 May 04:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi. I have a pair - not sure the make - which sit in the sole so when you are off the bike the shoes look and feel like trainers. I know what you mean about falling off and staying with the bike. I think we all do that at first. I think the trick is to make sure that the clip is not too secure when it attached to the bike, so you can quickly release it at junctions etc. You dont need to be clamped to the bike, just attached to it

a bit of trial and error is worth it in the long run.

pea 22 May 04:49  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi and thanks for the reply. I've not rode my bike for some time and I was going to start off back at the bottom and not have clipless at all.
To be honest the last fall I had with them was the last time I used them, I was amazed that my skin could have such an amazing array of bruised shades!

Pea :)

sdwalker 22 May 08:26  

Bike:

My Profile
luckily I have only fallen once and it was trying to stay clipped in with one foot (sole had sheared so cleat was loose in shoe but clipped to the bike) while turning my bike 180 to head down a turning I missed fell like a tree :) TBH just jump straight back into the cleats nothing like jumping in at the deep end

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

Pesmo 24 May 03:59  

Bike:

My Profile
I badly banged my knee in a fall when I couldn't remove a cleated foot and it took over a year to recover fully. I resolved not to use them again and now simply use trainers, but with a really agressive sole so that bits of the sole drop down into the gaps in the pedals and provide a secure grip. Using this method I rarely get a slip from the pedals now.

pea 28 May 14:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for all the replies, think I'll get a new pair of trainers :)

pea

Mitch23 28 May 17:20  

Bike:

I've just been throught that painful familiarisation with cleats experience. Fell off a couple of times and had a few cuts and bruises but have not got my head around it and I don't think I would want to go back. It's a bit like remembering to depress the clutch when you brake in a car. It becomes automatic after a while but you do need to go away and practice somewhere where you don't get hurt... Preferably flat grassy and away from traffic

insoleclinic 30 May 12:04  

Bike:

hi

if you are a individual who loves cycling, but find sometime you have to give up a little early due to discomfort and pain in your feet, or you feel you require added support, there no need to suffer no more

visit www.insolecloinic.co.uk

we have insole that have been designed for cyclist enthusiast and want to achieve there maximum performance

follow the link below

http://www.insoleclinic.co.uk/sports-insoles/cycling/ststep-cycling-insoles.html

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.