We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

advise on what to carry on a short cycle tour

longbob 10 Aug 07:36  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,

Just after a bit of advice from those of you who may have a bit more experience in cycle trips.

Having only ever really done day rides I am not 100% sure on what I should carry for my ride this weekend.

I’ll be riding for a few days / nights so will need to carry what I need. I’ll be doing it on my road bike so no panniers to take the load, everything will need to go on my back (so weight and size will be everything as i'll be riding between 60/70 miles a day).

I was thinking:
Light Shoes (I have road shoes / pedals so wont be able to wear these in the evenings)
A pair of Jeans
T-shirts
Underwear
Toiletries

wasnt sure about waterproofs...have have a full set but thought maybe to just take something for my top half...not sure i just the weather man or not!

Then in my saddle bag the usual bits to keep my bike going.

Also, to keep the weight down (and as space will be at a premium) I’ll not be taking any spear cycle shorts / top…the idea being I can give them a ‘freshen up’ in the bath / shower each night.

The plan is to spend the days on the bike and then hold up in a pub / b&b in the evening…have a meal, few beers and then do it all again the next day.

Also, the dreaded locks! Does anyone know if b&b’s / pubs are open to storing your bike? Wouldn’t be a problem to call ahead but I generally get round not carrying locks by never letting my bike out of my sight!...so if i could get away without the extra weight then great.

Any suggestions would be great!

Best
Rob

Pesmo 10 Aug 11:30  

Bike:

My Profile
Sounds ok. Personally I would leave the Jeans behind as they are bulky and heavy. Do you have any lighter trousers you could take ? You don't mention a light fleece, which I carry with me even on a sunny day ? If you don't use it in the day, you might in the evening. When travelling on my own I always carry a lock. You could remove your wheels and saddle at the B&B and put them in your room, I have seen other cyclists do this.

longbob 10 Aug 12:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks Pesmo!

Yeah, good call on the fleece and i'll have a think about the jeans, i might have something a little lighter...i only really need them for the evening to sit in a pub!

good to know that places are happy to let you take bikes in, think i will call up and check with them...both my locks are heavy beast so if i can get away with maybe a light lock why i pop into a shop etc then that would be ideal!

cheers
again

dudley 11 Aug 02:38  

Bike:

My Profile
skip jeans and shoes - go for shorts and flip-flops. (pubs are warm)
that also means no extra socks.

i have stayed in B&B's where they let you keep the bike in the room. if it's all met and 'orrible though, they may not
depends how chintzy they are, really!

Also have had some let me use their garage as well.

i'd take just top half waterproofs - but that's just me. i prefer wet legs to clingy waterproofs

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

edwin 11 Aug 11:43  

Bike:

My Profile
The first thing on the list that struck me, was the jeans.
I prefer my hiking pants with zip-offs. They look good enough
for breakfast even in a business hotel, are much lighter than jeans
and dry very quick.

When sleeping in a bed, I prefer to have a pyjama or something like that...

A small towel might be a good idea, even if the b&bs provide them...

For the nights, I never had problems storing the bike in Germany, Austria or Italy.
There was always a garage or basement room, where we could store the bikes.
In France it would have been a problem at some places and I don't know the situation in the UK.
If you book in advance, you can ask for the situation.
I see a problem at the day without a lock. What will you do while shopping or eating in a Restaurant?

Cheers

Edwin

longbob 11 Aug 16:23  

Bike:

My Profile
Cheers Edwin,

Yeah, defo thinking about leaving the jeans behind and bitting the bullet about the locks...was just thinking of weight but if someone does make it off with my bike that will be end of trip, a long walk and a red face...think the bit of extra weight will be worth it in the long run!

going to call ahead tomorrow and check about storing the bike, even if i can use a garden or garage that should be fine.

best
rob

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.