We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

What's classed as a GOOD average speed/ time's within a mile?

philhammond2004 21 Aug 10:50  

Bike:

I use a three mile route for my running (double the army's target). Running times I know because I go by what the army sets out and if I can equal them thats good enough for me lol.

I have just recently started up cycling.

Yesterday (20.08.2012) I managed 4.24miles in 15mins dead. average speed 16.95mph.

I know I can go a lot quicker with time but was wondering whats a good bench mark to set myself that I can aim like with my running (I do my running straight after my cycling)

The cycling route is pretty average I guess with the ascent's and descent's, road surface is pretty rough about 60% as the road has been resurfaced.

I'm using a Specialized Allez road bike, normal pedal's and changed my tyre's to Nimbus Armadillo Tyre's to avoid punctures.

So if anyone can advice me a good average speed over a set distance i.e (18mph over 20miles or 22mph over 8miles etc) then I'll have a good idea on what goal's to aim for.

Thanks for any help given/ tip's :)

spaceman 21 Aug 14:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Yes, remember when I did BFT in 9 minutes... ( I am now 53 and I think I could still do it in 10 minutes, even with my knackered knees)

I commute most days to work 38 mile round trip.
19 mile in about an hour peddling time. Best time is 56 minutes and worst time about 1 hr 15 minutes. Ground is undulating with about 800 feet of climbs.

Thats on a road bike carrying only essential spares and water.

But I logg all my rides and have started to use the Strava App. Which is great to compare yourself against others.
So every day is a bit of a time trial for me and always try to do it in an hour.

Tips:
Set yourself a target , mileage/time or what ever.
Do not over do it
Build top gradually
Enjoy it or you will just jack it
Have fun
Eat well

My Latest Route: Jul 2012 Bedworth to Startford Via Fosse Way and Return Via Kenilworth

philhammond2004 21 Aug 14:58  

Bike:

what's BFT?

my best time for distance is 1:06:59 in 17.44 miles

thanks for the reply

also do cycling shoes where they fix to the bike with the clip, r they any good as i just use normail pedals and my runnin trainers lol

spaceman 21 Aug 15:07  

Bike:

My Profile
Army Basic Fitness Test 1.5 mile run in under 11 minutes , well this was what it was in 1976, long time ago.
If you are doing greater distances defo get some cycle shoes and click in pedals.
I got some cheap ones from Aldi and they are Ok ish.
My main problem was aching feet from cycling 40 mile a day in trainers, too much pressure.
Cycling shoes have hard sole and spread the load out.
Clipping out takes a little to get used to, just think to think a few yards ahead, and twist your foot out to unclip.

My Latest Route: Jul 2012 Bedworth to Startford Via Fosse Way and Return Via Kenilworth

Denham_Cyclist 21 Aug 15:31  

Bike:

My Profile
what i done was work up my miles at a gradual pace and keep timings of them via gps etc then try to do smaller miles in quicker times i have done 9 miles in 29 minutes but all depends on route hills and if traffic is around etc i do a 34 mile route every sunday and i got my time down to 1hr 59 minutes and thats about 1300 feet of climbing involved which is my best even after trying to beat it i cant ive been slower since :d just enjoy take it easy and test ur self little by little

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.