We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

UK - GIBRALTAR

1 2 3 > >>
Big-stan 15 Mar 11:57  

Bike:

HI ALL

I am not a cyclist at all and haven't been in the saddle for at least 10 years.
However i was stupid enough to put my name forward to participate and organise(BIG mistake) the whole event.

We are intending on doing a cyle ride from the UK through France down through Spain to Gibraltar but have no idea whatsoever what we have let ourselves in for, any advive small or large would be greatly appreciated.

We are lucky enough to have a support team with us (A Mini-Bus and a Transit Van) But eveything else has been left upto ourselves.

Maps and cycles aren't a problem and we have decent camping gear but as none of the 15 idiots (volunteers) have never cycled further than 50 mile on any given day we are a bit taken-back at just how far we have to go and what we would be required to know.

Many thanks in anticipation

Big-Stan

rustyspoke 17 Mar 08:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Well first of all best of luck.
But if you have not cycled for a long time and you have not done more than fifty miles your in for a very hard time,to do a ride like this is getting on the bike day after day that is hard,trust me when you do long distance rides day and nice but day when is pouring down then its not so nice.
I am just telling you like it is.
You need to be riding over a 100 miles a week at this time of year to even think about a ride like this.
I have done big rides and stay in hotels and your going to camp that in its self is an other battle.

jonsea 17 Mar 15:16  

Bike:

My Profile
hello

Totally agree with rustyspoke , this is one hell of a challenge for a first time long distance ride .

Everything seems possible when sat at home in a comfy chair , but out on the road, in all weathers , day after day after day the reality will soon kick in . Imagine if you will , after a days cycling in the rain getting into your tent with no real means of drying your gear out before morning . As a test you could always do a short ride in the rain, with the baggage you will be taking on your trip, then when you get home , set up your tent and sleep in it ( not forgetting to prepare your evening meal , and imagine how it would be for maybe a few days on the trot !

I have only done a 900 klm ride with 18 kgs ( no camping gear )of baggage, and only got wet on 2 days , but not the slightest bit pleasant to put wet clothing on in the morning .
I wish you all the luck in the world and if you do manage it AND it is for charity, let me know and i will willingly donate £50 to the charity ! very best wishes

My Latest Route: Apr 2012 lowestoft normanston park

skiad1 17 Mar 15:58  

Bike:

My Profile
Sound advice indeed! What's your timeframe for the ride? Work from that to determine your daily mileage, which will give you more of an idea for your training plan. Any idea on a route plan? With support, at least you'll be able to go light & unloaded. When you get in enough time/miles to prepare(the only way to prepare for a ride like this) my personal recommendation would be assos chamois creme. To put your ride in perspective, I rode from dinan, in northern france, to lourdes in 6 days carrying approx 20kgs. I ride anywhere, depending on season, from 100-500 miles/week(lucky enough to have 2 months off in summer), and covered 10000mls over the year. I'm not superfit, just spend lots of time in the saddle, which is what you need to do. Incidentally, I'd recommend the Atlantic coast route for the French leg and, though I have ridden in Northern Spain, I couldn't comment on the best route to Gibraltar. One more word of advice, it can get very hot in July/August in Central/Southern Spain and this will bring it's own problems! Is it doable? Of course. Have you got a bit of an 'ask' on your hands? Of course you have. Will you have the adventure of a lifetime and enjoy it(IF you prepare properly)? I sincerely hope so....

very best of luck!

Bonny6051 20 Mar 07:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello,
This may sound silly but the son of the founder of Slimmingworld did the opposite ride earlier this year, from Gib to GB then on to Sweden or somewhere. It might be an idea to contact Slimmingworld http://www.slimmingworld.com and see if they can put you in touch with him. I know there was a blog of some sort and he was riding a lot of miles every day in training. I wish you all the luck with your venture and when you get to Gib give those damn apes a kick for me.....LOL. :)

Chris.

Big-stan 26 Mar 05:28  

Bike:

Many thanks for replying and i will print them all out and pass on your advice and wisdom to the rest of the idiots,

i'll be sure to keep you updated on our training and no doubt ask for more advice as the event gets closer,

many thanks again

Big Stan

Winklesan 24 Sep 06:44  

Bike:

Two colleagues and I have just completed Bilbao to gib 869 miles in 7.5 days. I would recommend practicing hill and mountain climbing techniques. Stocking up on good healthy food and investing in rock pegs for the tents. Good luck

BusterG 24 Sep 07:36  

Bike:

My Profile
Tell us more Winklesan!
Well done btw, I am very jealous.

i enjoyed the blog below from someone who did it a few years ago.
I am going to be driving Bilboa to malaga next year so keen to recce the route if you can supply it.
Cheers
http://www.pedrodiaz.com/cycling/spain2008.php

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

Winklesan 25 Sep 08:04  

Bike:

We landed in Bilbao airport at 13.30 English time and met the van carting the bikes. Day one was 66 miles to a campsite north of Burgos. Then our route was via De Haro Valladolid Salamanca Placencia Seville then San roque and finally Gubraltar We had a rough route plan but we had to adapt on the way due to road availability and having to meet up with a supply truck part of the way down. Our original plan was 656 miles which became 846 and eventually 869.

Winklesan 29 Sep 11:22  

Bike:

A rough route http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/141235597

seomind 03 Dec 08:44  

Bike:

My Profile
Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. Scam Risk

seomind 03 Dec 08:49  

Bike:

My Profile
Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging, Scam Risk

seomind 03 Dec 08:53  

Bike:

My Profile
Mmm.. good to be here in your article or post, whatever, I think I should also work hard for my own website like I see some good and updated working in your site. Scam Risk

seomind 03 Dec 08:57  

Bike:

My Profile
Cool stuff you have and you keep overhaul every one of us Scam Risk

seomind 03 Dec 09:00  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a fantastic website , thanks for sharing. Scam Risk

seomind 03 Dec 09:01  

Bike:

My Profile
Gangaur Realtech is a professionally managed organisation specializing in real estate services where integrated services are provided by professionals to its clients seeking increased value by owning, occupying or investing in real estate. Scam Risk

seomind 03 Dec 09:04  

Bike:

My Profile
With so many books and articles coming up to give gateway to make-money-online field and confusing reader even more on the actual way of earning money, Scam Risk

seomind 03 Dec 09:13  

Bike:

My Profile
I’m excited to uncover this page. I need to to thank you for ones time for this particularly fantastic read !! I definitely really liked every part of it and i also have you saved to fav to look at new information in your site. Scam Risk

seomind 24 Sep 08:18  

Bike:

My Profile
I've been looking for info on this topic for a while. I'm happy this one is so great. Keep up the excellent work Empowr

seomind 24 Sep 08:26  

Bike:

My Profile
I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you! Empowr

seomind 24 Sep 08:31  

Bike:

My Profile
They're produced by the very best degree developers who will be distinguished for your polo dress creating. You'll find polo Ron Lauren inside exclusive array which include particular classes for men, women. Empowr

seomind 24 Sep 08:31  

Bike:

My Profile
I've been looking for info on this topic for a while. I'm happy this one is so great. Keep up the excellent work Kannaway

seomind 24 Sep 08:43  

Bike:

My Profile
Super site! I am Loving it!! Will return once more, Im taking your food likewise, Thanks. Kannaway

seomind 24 Sep 08:43  

Bike:

My Profile
I adore your websites way of raising the awareness on your readers. Kannaway

seomind 24 Sep 08:50  

Bike:

My Profile
Your content is nothing short of brilliant in many ways. I think this is engaging and eye-opening material. Thank you so much for caring about your content and your readers. Zija

seomind 24 Sep 08:54  

Bike:

My Profile
It is the intent to provide valuable information and best practices, including an understanding of the regulatory process. Zija

seomind 24 Sep 09:12  

Bike:

My Profile
I'm happy to see the considerable subtle element here!. Zija

seomind 24 Sep 09:12  

Bike:

My Profile
Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more. MoneyLion

seomind 12 Jan 10:10  

Bike:

My Profile
I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles. Karla Marie Review

seomind 12 Jan 10:17  

Bike:

My Profile
I feel really happy to have seen your webpage and look forward to so many more entertaining times reading here. Thanks once more for all the details. Misha Wilson Review

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.