We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

The 'Beast'

1 2 >
mr.mole 06 Sep 14:30  

Bike:

My Profile
I would just like to say well done to anyone who like me were part of the Durham 'beast' ride yesterday.
It was a very hard ride, but also very enjoyable. It was apparently one of the toughest rides in the uk. So well done anyone who completed it, and see you again next year :-)

txbnet 06 Sep 13:39  

Bike:

My Profile
I've just returned from holiday and my entry number for the 2011 Beast has arrived. Having never done this ride before can anyone help with the following:

How accessible is the start area at Snipperly for cars?
Is there ample parking?
Are there any alternatives for parking slightly away from the start and pedalling no more than a couple of miles to the start to warm up?
What time do you have to get there?
Is there any registration process at the start?
Is it a timed event or can you just enjoy those Durham hills (!) at your own pace?
After the event, is ther any logging in again?

Thanks to anyone who can help with these queries.

Just looking at the above post, it dawns on me that I may have missed it!! I hope not, as I have it diaried for Saturday 10th September.

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

txbnet 07 Sep 05:00  

Bike:

My Profile
I've found my enrolment papers and see its this Sunday 11 October, so I haven't missed it! Anyone got any info on accessibility of the start/finish point as I'm not familiar with Durham?
Thanks

happy 07 Sep 08:07  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Durham either, hopefully we can bump Mr Mole for an answer.

Is it the length or route that gives it the nickname Beast?

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

eltelio 07 Sep 08:36  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi, I think its not so much the length of the ride but the number and frequency of the hills that give it the name of "the beast". I'm going to find out next sunday (11 sept) anyway,
The Durham Big Ride(middle 25 miles) last sunday, was a bit of a taster really for the beast next weekend,as it took in part of the route and a few of the hills. I enjoyed it, nice way to spend a sunday morning
With regard to parking, Sniperley is a park and ride site so ample spaces I believe. If extra were needed I think they would probably use County Hall's facilities not far away as an overflow parking area.
If you have already received your number I dont think any further registration is required, but dont quote me on that. I'll have to register as I'm entering on the day.
Fingers crossed that the weather forecast changes for the better. Enjoy it anyway, might see you down there. tel

My Latest Route: May 2012 Wylam and Beyond

txbnet 07 Sep 08:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks everyone for the help. See you all on Sunday. Dry, only light (or no) winds preferably!

happy 07 Sep 08:45  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Remember to let us know how you get on :)

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

mr.mole 07 Sep 18:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi All.
AS has been said there is plenty of parking and alot of people do get there early and warm up in the car park. It is true thats its not so much the distance but the hills. Last year it was sunny and warm, great weather if alittle warm. This year is looking to be different, i just hope it isnt too windy.

Last year although i already had my number you did have to log in. Parking is free, so if youd like to get there early and ride afew miles to warm up feel free. Im doing it on my own this year so if either of you are riding just for fun, nothing to quick then let me know. last year it took me alittle over 4 hours, i expect it to take me alittle longer this year. But for me it is just a ride for fun. I wont be racing though it.

But do let me know how u all get on. and enjoy it :-)

txbnet 10 Sep 04:02  

Bike:

My Profile
The forecast is showing light showers and South Westerley winds ranging from 16mph to 30 mph later on. At least its a circular ride so it can't be in our faces all the way round!

gipa 10 Sep 07:07  

Bike:

My Profile
whats the best tyres for the beast like

eltelio 12 Sep 04:46  

Bike:

My Profile
Well at least now I know why its named the "Beast". Relentless hills, big and small. Relentless wind didnt help any either. Ask me if I'd do it again and I'd probably tell you to **** right off. Well till this time next year anyway. And after a bit more training I might be a bit more able. Well done everyone that took part anyway!

gipa 12 Sep 12:08  

Bike:

My Profile
why did u not reply to my message el tel before the beast i would of rode with you .was one hell of a ride lol

txbnet 12 Sep 18:53  

Bike:

My Profile
As stated above, that was definitely the hardest 50 miles I've ever done on a bike. What a course, hill after hill, not much chance for recovery before the next one and many of the downhill parts had you turning at right angles with your brakes on, so no chance of building up a head of steam for the next climb!

What is it about cycling that makes you spend your Sunday wracking yourself with so much pain! This was much harder than any part of LEJOG, which was a walk in the park in comparison.

Was that Hurricane Katia arriving, in our faces, as we approached Tow Law?

As Eltelio says, it'll take me 10 months before I build up the balls to enter this challenge again.

So see you all next year!!

Thanks to Durham organisers.

eltelio 13 Sep 10:35  

Bike:

My Profile
Gipa - I didnt reply cos I didnt know what tyres would be best for the ride like. Besides I thought you might still be on holiday you've been off here for a while like! Anyway sounds like you enjoyed it. I'm just glad I decided to use the MTB, cos I wouldnt have liked to think I was putting my road bike over those sort of roads. Number of potholes? Lost count!
Saw a couple of nasty spills as well, due to road surface. Hope the lass that came off just down from Charlaw bank top is alright. She looked in a bad way. Shame to have an "off" only a couple of miles into the ride. Saw some claret from a rider down by Knitsley mill as well. Some bad gravel rash! Overall though it was interesting to say the least. Of course the younger lads that I was riding with "did one" towards the end. Left me to climb Wilks Hill by meself, although I was really feeling it by then. Well only another year to go then we can do it all again.

gipa 13 Sep 12:06  

Bike:

My Profile
eltel im onabout the contact eltel i sent message that way .obviously it must not work as i got no reply .
where in the start of the race was you
what did you think of the wind
there are pictures on flickr and facebook of everybody that took part .
so if you see a picture of yourself say im = img on flickr or tag yourself on facebook
i stopped back and rode with a lass that was by herself we have a great picture together :)

it was a mean old ride i must say flying downhill slow uphill :) my mtb let me down a few times i must say .

oh well feel free to reply lol img number aswell lol

you never know we might of spoke or passed each other,and the wind going into tow law ,say no more .

gipa 17 Sep 12:18  

Bike:

My Profile
so everybody that entered the beast was us in here

eltelio 17 Sep 14:30  

Bike:

My Profile
yeah looks like it bud.
Looks like the direct contact of members is out of action on here. Even triad contacting the administration to no avail.
Seen all the pictures of the ride on Facey. Good uns! tel

gipa 17 Sep 14:45  

Bike:

My Profile
el tel was any of you on there then .and how far is the private hospital from you .ive got to go there 5 10 11 if there is a track i will ride my bike there .

eltelio 17 Sep 15:29  

Bike:

My Profile
Hospital is only a few hundred metres off the C2C track. Just after you pass under the Motorway take a right turn up through woods onto Picktree lane. Hospital is about 300 metres down on left.
Couple of photos of me, but not doin owt special. Missed me at the start and finish and climbing any of the banks..

gipa 17 Sep 15:32  

Bike:

My Profile
thinks i will do a test ride to see how long cheers el tel

and come on what folder are you in lol on face book beast 1to 8 it is i think lol

eltelio 17 Sep 15:52  

Bike:

My Profile
just had a look. Im in folders 3 + 2. Good shot of me back in 3..

gipa 17 Sep 15:55  

Bike:

My Profile
think mine are in my profile page .tag ya sell in them pics then you will have on your profile picture .

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.