We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

THE WALL

LetTheBikedOtheworK 26 Jan 05:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Ive always been a keen cyclist, and always used my bike 2 get around with not driving. 3 or 4 mile round trips round town that kind of thing. fairly recently ive I have started to ride a lot more 4 leisure and a work out. I feel really good doing 10 mile, and I can just about manage 20, that is really really tough!! My legs start to burn, my head even throbs. my recovery times are good and I can carry on reasonably comfortable, but do i need 2 do so much work, should I step down a gear ease my self to 15 miles, or keep ploughing forward for my 20. Plus should I eat before long before I ride, sometimes it feels like my stomach is in knots looking 4 food that isnt there, and I feel a little sick which is probaly the worst factor of it all. Sorry for writing and essay, but im riding very hard and I would hate to think im doing it all wrong. What i would love to achieve is to leave the house at 9 in the morn and get back at 6 at night, having done a good 40 +, am I on the right track pls help!!!!!!!!

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Cronton to Walton via Widnes and Hale
paul448 28 Jan 15:44  

Bike:

My Profile
I was going through exactly what you are experiencing about a year ago when i first started going to work on my bike. After a couple of hills i could hardly breath but i was determined to go further and further each week. I built up my mileage and my climbs gradually and have rode over 70 miles at times taking in some very steep climbs.
I think it is essential you eat well before a ride, i tend to have porridge with honey and banana and take one bottle of water and one bottle of Gatorade and sip both regularly as i ride. If you intend to be out riding from 9 to 6 you should take plenty sandwiches too.
If you keep the correct food and water intake you may find the burn in your legs and the knotted stomach is kept at bay and you achieve many more miles.
Good luck.

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 Sedgley to Newport Loop

Josh 28 Jan 16:41  

Bike:

My Profile
I think it all depends on your level of physical fitness at the onset. Local round trips of 3-4 miles are o.k. but when you start doing some fair distance, taking in hills and the like, it becomes a whole new ball game.
The key to it is, as I've found out, eat before you start out (a light breafast), take a packed lunch or snacks, drink water regularly and snack inbetween. If you need a break.....take it! You'll feel better for it and notice you've got extra energy at least for the first couple of miles. Don't push yourself to hard and if need be drop down a gear or two, making it easier to pedal. Most importantly, take regular breaks on long treks,..ideally every 1hour or 1 1/2hours.

Lastly, cycling should fun and if your having fun you won't notice the ardous bits inbetween,

Enjoy your treks.

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 West Bromwich Circular via Great Barr and Kings Heath

LetTheBikedOtheworK 02 Feb 16:36  

Bike:

My Profile
thanxs guys!!

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Cronton to Walton via Widnes and Hale

gozler 06 Feb 11:52  

Bike:

My Profile
I received some good, simple advice from a triathlon before embarking on a 3 day 200 mile trip to edinburgh. Drink every 20 minutes and eat something every 30 mins. Energy bars, nuts bits of fruit, jellies. I never had any major energy dips so it worked for me.

My Latest Route: Jan 2009 Wear Tyne Washington Loop

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.