We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Nottingham to Paris

1 2 >
spaceman09 23 Jan 11:22  

Bike:

Hi, my friend and I are cycling from Nottingham to Paris, we are going along the Grand Union Canal to London and then we are not sure the best way to go? Ideally we would like to be off road as much as possible. We have got 12 days to get to Paris, and we are hoping to camp out most of the nights as well.

Does anyone know if it's possible to cycle the full route to London along the canal, and if so how easy is it to do without getting lost. Also Which is the best route from London to Paris, off road. Lastly, does anyone know any cheap camp sites along the way?

smithie 23 Jan 19:46  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi

I and 3 pals cycled from Birmingham to London alongside the Grand Union Canal in October.

You may be able to do the Leicester stretch of the GUC then it merges near Braunston area in Warwickshire.

There are some tricky parts north of Milton Keynes but from there onwards 80% is very good.

It is fairly straightforward but there are parts where you have to come off the tow path and rejoin it a mile or two later.

All in all, the towpath can be quagmire mud if you have a bad day or glorious wide
tarmac where you really can speed up.

Beware the damned bike gates towards London....a real pain in the ass.

I would strongly recommend the following;

Nicholson Grand Union guide book

Puncture proof tyres / inner tubes ( we had about 14 flats between us!)

Spare tyre.....this kind of ride really does give the tyres some stick.

The following are all near the canal and are good overnight stops;

The Narrowboat at Weedon

Travelodge Hemel Hempstead

Travelodge Kings Cross

Drop me a line if you need more info.

You will enjoy it, it's a test but great fun.

Richard (smiffynw10@hotmail.com)

dudley 24 Jan 02:07  

Bike:

My Profile
good luck!

With 12 days, you could go via Inverness! Time will not be an issue!

It is eminently possible to do it in 3 or 4 days from Nottingham, via Newhaven / Dieppe, so with 12 days, you can really pick the route you want to take, via all the sights / pubs / vineyards etc.

I'd love to have that sort of time available for a trip!
I think the route verte starts in Dieppe, heading to Paris. Old railways lines etc. Could be wrong.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

spaceman09 25 Jan 12:47  

Bike:

12 days may seem a lot to you, but we are two lazy, fat middle aged men. We must be having some sort of mid-life crisis to do this!

Anyway thank you for the advice, any advice no matter how small will be very helpful.

I think the Grand Union Canal to London, along the sustrans route to Newhaven, then over to Dieppe and then along the Avenue Verte seem the best way (like I know what I am writing about).

Anyone know of any camp sites along the way?
Must see?
Cheapest ferry?
What is the best map for London to Newhaven?
What is the best map for the Avenue Verte?
Any must have equipment?

asad664 23 May 02:50  

Bike:

My Profile
Stretching reduces the tightness in your decreasing muscular pain and irritated nerves. This nerve irritation occurs at the top of your neck. This causes typical neck-based headaches or cervicogenic headaches. [url=https://mpr-health.com/]sports injuries[/url]

seomind 07 Nov 10:34  

Bike:

My Profile
Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here. Social Ad Tribe Review

seomind 07 Nov 10:38  

Bike:

My Profile
Really impressed! Everything is very open and very clear clarification of issues. It contains truly facts. Your website is very valuable. Thanks for sharing. Social Ad Tribe Review

seomind 07 Nov 10:43  

Bike:

My Profile
What a really awesome post this is. Truly, one of the best posts I've ever witnessed to see in my whole life. Wow, just keep it up. Social Ad Tribe Review

seomind 07 Nov 10:49  

Bike:

My Profile
This is an awesome motivating article.I am practically satisfied with your great work.You put truly extremely supportive data. Keep it up. Continue blogging. Hoping to perusing your next post Social Ad Tribe Review

seomind 07 Nov 11:03  

Bike:

My Profile
It is extremely nice to see the greatest details presented in an easy and understanding manner. Social Ad Tribe Review

seomind 07 Nov 11:09  

Bike:

My Profile
I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website. Social Ad Tribe Review

seomind 07 Nov 11:12  

Bike:

My Profile
I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this.. Social Ad Tribe Review

seomind 07 Nov 11:16  

Bike:

My Profile
A debt of gratitude is in order for the blog entry amigo! Keep them coming... Modern Millionaires Review

mrseod 17 Apr 03:22  

Bike:

My Profile
You completed certain reliable points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will agree with your blog. financial freedom

mrseod 17 Apr 03:31  

Bike:

My Profile
Writing with style and getting good compliments on the article is quite hard, to be honest.But you've done it so calmly and with so cool feeling and you've nailed the job. This article is possessed with style and I am giving good compliment. Best! financial freedom

mrseod 17 Apr 03:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Wow what a Great Information about World Day its exceptionally pleasant educational post. a debt of gratitude is in order for the post. Epic Challenge Review

mrseod 17 Apr 03:47  

Bike:

My Profile
A good blog always comes-up with new and exciting information and while reading I have feel that this blog is really have all those quality that qualify a blog to be a one Epic Challenge Review

mrseod 17 Apr 03:51  

Bike:

My Profile
I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.. Epic Challenge Review

mrseod 17 Apr 03:56  

Bike:

My Profile
We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Great work financial freedom

mrseod 17 Apr 03:59  

Bike:

My Profile
I surely acquiring more difficulties from each surprisingly more little bit of it financial freedom

mrseod 17 Apr 04:02  

Bike:

My Profile
It should be noted that whilst ordering papers for sale at paper writing service, you can get unkind attitude. In case you feel that the bureau is trying to cheat you, don't buy term paper from it. Productized Profits Review

larrymartin1job 07 Nov 03:31  

Bike:

My Profile
When ordering papers for sale, be cautious of unscrupulous services; if something feels off, trust your instincts and avoid making a purchase.
bathroom and kitchen remodeling services in USA

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.