We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Excuses from motorists for accidents/near misses

hitandrun 31 Jan 15:53  

Bike:

My Profile
My best so far from a bus driver, after he had give me a little clip passing me-" I was trying to nudge you in a little to the kerb"

My Latest Route: Mar 2008 Winter Hill
happy 01 Feb 14:03  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Yikes, that doesn't sound too good. I've had a few near misses but no one has been kind enough to even acknowledge their carelessness.

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

padjo 22 Jun 01:15  

Bike:

On practically every occasion, they have said: I just didn't see you, I just didn't see you. This was almost always while I was wearing something bright yellow, so it does make you wonder why they didn't see me.

And the driver who completely flipped me over so I landed on my back (with my head hitting the ground first) also said "I'm sorry I just didn't see you". The police were there by then, and the ambulance. Police didn't think it was a very good excuse.

PS - top tip: I had started wearing a helmet just before that one, and the back of the helmet cracked through - as it should do- while stopping my head from hitting the asphalt. Just in case anyone thought helmets never helped anyone. (NB no lasting damage to me)

Padjo

marcmcf 24 Jun 13:37  

Bike:

My Profile
I have a helmet but i must confess i dont wear as much as i should. I tend to stay on cycle tracks when i can but when i do go on the road i have had a few near misses from cars or worse still trucks. Some of them just dont give a damn that your on a bike and should be a bit more aware of you. Still the price of petrol keeps going up so soon there will be no cars on the road and we can cycle to our hearts content :)

gozler 30 Sep 05:34  

Bike:

My Profile
take some good advice. always wear a helmet. if you do a lot of road riding you know what the situation with volume of cars is. i cycle to work at 515 am and the amount of cars on the road is quite surprising. although some of these are taxi drivers and i have came close to being knocked off on a few occasions. i always approach junctions rounadabouts etc with caution and generally always assume they havent seen me. a colleague was knocked off his bike recently and the hospital doctor said wearing a helmet saved his life

My Latest Route: Jan 2009 Wear Tyne Washington Loop

stonge99 13 Oct 19:14  

Bike:

There is just no excuse for stupidity. The closest I've come was at a roundabout, in the left hand lane to go staright ahead. Middle of the day with my hi-viz bib on......and a white van from the right hand lane turned left infront of me....missed me by inches/milliseconds!. Scared the crap out of me......berk!

A Nutter 14 Oct 04:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Some of the worst is traffic islands!

2wheels 31 Oct 06:40  

Bike:

I've been knocked off by a car earlier this year, bus waved a car out from side road as I was overtaking the stationary queue of traffic. When over the bonnet at full speed, and scraped off the floor by ambulance. Helmet did take a knock - but I've sustained permanent damage to my shoulder. Sucker.

Very slippery this morning tough, van pushing hard from behind on a narrow side road from Upper street, Angel, London. Front wheel slipped in a left hander, luckily didn't slip into oncoming traffic. Left wrist hurts like hell, knee is bloody. Sucker.

Van driver woul'd have learnt a thing - that's the worst part. We don't have break lights, so these pertolheads just keep no distance. If I didn't think he was too close, I'd have slowed down more before the bend, but didn't want to risk having him up my back side.

One a bike you take the punishment either way, bottom of the food chain.

take care all y'a folks, and be kind to on another.

2wheels

Razor 02 Nov 19:20  

Bike:

My Profile
You all have me kinda worried now . I have slowly been getting into the swing of riding my bike as regularly as i can . I ride to work and back (only a couple of miles ) but its a start right? , i also have been building up my miles when i have a day off , like today for instance i managed 6.5 miles which to a lot of you dont seem a lot probably but i actually felt i could do more , so tomorrow ill have a go at a 10 mile round trip in dartford which i found on this site . I dont have a helmet though yet and from what i read here it seems an essential item so i will get one tomorrow. Anway this is my first post here so i would like to say hello to you all!

My Latest Route: Jan 2009 Dartford Pilgrims Way Circular via Otford and Fawkham

gozler 03 Nov 13:13  

Bike:

My Profile
hi razor, welcome. keep the cycling up but do get a helmet asap.

My Latest Route: Jan 2009 Wear Tyne Washington Loop

LetTheBikedOtheworK 25 Jan 21:02  

Bike:

My Profile
hi all, im fairly new 2 riding, im doing 20 miles now a couple of times a week on my very own "widnes orbital" route that should hopefully be posted soon. im also riding 2 work aswell, i cant get enough of it. im really glad ive read this thread cause ive got a helmet, but being a complete t##t ive not wore it yet, thinking i looked a little daft. Im sorry you guys had to be clipped by buses, and knocked over car bonnets to get it into me head (no pun intended) how important it is to wear your helmet, but your blood has not spilt in vain.. im converted!! thanx guys happy riding.

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Cronton to Walton via Widnes and Hale

Oliver 20 May 17:47  

Bike:

I had a near miss the other day - car pulling out of a garage on my left, wanting to turn right, obviously hadn't seen me (despite being on my Dutch bike and therefore about 6ft tall, in a high-vis yellow jacket), so I had to stop for her; then she stopped, it seemed as if she'd seen me, and she couldn't go any further anyway as traffic was coming in the opposite direction. I cautiously started again and started to pass her, and she just drove straight at me! I managed to escape without a collision, but I had a few choice words to say to her, not all of them printable - she then complained that I'd used bad language in front of her 4-year old son, who I then noticed was sitting in the front seat (illegally) with no seat belt (even more illegally!).
I guess safetly (and brains) were not her strong points...

skudupnorth 21 May 05:57  

Bike:

My Profile
Read my latest on cars beeping horns thread,i still cannot believe the stupidity of some motorists (not all) Now how do i attach a baseball bat with quick release clip to a hybrid ?????

Hitandrun,do you live in Bolton ?? I work on Manchester road.

Razor keep up with the riding,don't let the idiots put you off enjoying cycling,it's the best way to get around but do where a helmet !!!

skudupnorth 21 May 05:59  

Bike:

My Profile
I should have wrote WEAR a helmet DOH !!!

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.