We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Did I do my 50 mls right????

LetTheBikedOtheworK 14 May 16:27  

Bike:

My Profile
I have been building my miles up for ages now, I do my 21 mile route fairly comfortable 2 or 3 times a week. I did my biggest ride ever 50.66mls. I had a rest at 35mls then finished my 15 mls off. I was exhausted when I finished, and my ave speed really dropped in the last 10 mls, but after a good 15 min sit down I was fine. Did I do to much, next time should I stop for longer earlier and have a real sit down, I was worried about stiffing up on the ride so I stayed on my feet. And I only had a few biscuits and a chicken sandwich. Please help I wanna keep doing more and more but that last 10 miles was horrible.

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Cronton to Walton via Widnes and Hale
skudupnorth 15 May 08:07  

Bike:

My Profile
I have been doing big rides and found the main reason for the pain at the end was lack of food and fluid intake.Some peaople will be more experienced than me on the correct food intake but i find fruit (bannana's especially),fruit loaf (soreen)are a good supply of energy plus plenty of water.Any other treats will also go down well of course because you are supposed to enjoy your ride aswell ! I found on my first biggy was my legs just had no go and were quite painful in the knees,after that i made sure i had plenty of the above plus a good breakfast like porridge to start me off.

dudley 20 May 12:04  

Bike:

My Profile
rule 1 - hydration
rule 2 - fuel (food)
rule 3 - refer to rules 1 & 2

It will be easier next time, and easier the time after that.

stop for as long as you feel you need. not too long, as you'll cool down and seize up.

it's like swimming

stopping for 20 seconds every four laps or so of the pool means you can keep going for ages. 100 laps in a row is a real killer!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.