We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Charity rides

1 2 >
skudupnorth 19 Feb 16:31  

Bike:

My Profile
As it says on the title,are any of you lot taking part in any of the charity cycle rides that have been organised this year.My first since i first rode the Manchester-Blackpool in 93 is going to be the Manchester-Liverpool run.I hope to also do the Blackpool run too and make the Hybrid earn it's keep !

gostbike 19 Feb 17:44  

Bike:

Hi there i am new to the site, just started cycling again after a number of years so trying to get fit agian, as im planning to do a cycle run from manchester to plymouth in 2010 for cancer research. I have heard a lot about the manchester to blackpool run and i would be interested in joining that ride, i would be very grateful for contact details or website contact details for that charity run. And also details of any other charity rides in or around manchester area, Thanks.

skudupnorth 21 Feb 07:18  

Bike:

My Profile
Hiya mate,go to the Bike events web site and you will see all the events they do in our area and across the country.I'm looking forward to doing a bit more than commuting this year hence the organised bike runs.

gostbike 23 Feb 15:56  

Bike:

hi mate thanks for the info it was a great help,hope to sign up for the manchester to blackpool run this year. gonna do the run from bury to blackpool in a couple of weeks for a taster and also get my self fit for the manchester to plymouth ride i am planning for next summer, hope to see ya on the manchester to blackpool run soon and good luck on the manchester to liverpool run.

skudupnorth 23 Feb 16:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Manchester - Plymouth ????? That will be a run and a half ! I'm signing up for the Blackpool run for old times sake so hopfully we will meet up.Glad the site was of use,too much choice though !

gostbike 28 Feb 16:32  

Bike:

hi mate would have replied sooner but due to problems with my conection to internet, is there a better way to user the sites route planner as every time i try to plan my route from manchester to plymouth it keeps marking down differant routes i dont want when i try to move the road map up, also are you aloud to ride on the A roads?

skudupnorth 28 Feb 17:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Normal A roads are fine,it's the ones that are extra busy or duel carriage way that are either out of bounds or i would not ride due to them being very dangerous ! You have got me curious on the reason for the ride to Plymouth,i have a brew break there every year on my way to Cornwall and even by car its a fair run.I sometimes drive through Wales down the A49 but then go over the Severn Bridge at Chepstow which i think is motorway only but i am sure there is a footpath along it so cycling could be possible.Bristol looks like a maze to get through then i guess you could use the A38 into Plymouth.I hope some more experienced long distance riders might be able to shed better light on this sort of A road route to improve it more for safety.

gostbike 28 Feb 18:27  

Bike:

cheers mate just had a look at the route map and saved a detialed route from manchester to plymouth hopefully i will be able to use that route, like you siad the A38 will take me there from bristol it looks more like a striaght run from there some of the routes i have chosen look like a lot of back roads, i wont be doing the run till next summer anyway so if any one would know of any safest routes from manchester to plymouth i would be gratefull. Just to let you know im hoping to have a team of riders to jion me for the manchester to blackpool run.

zico2000 01 Mar 06:11  

Bike:

Morning all. Just joined this forum having ridden the 'Wakefield Wheel' yesterday morning, which I found on this forum.

I'm only 3 weeks into riding a bike again (for over 20 years!) so 36+ miles wasn't a bad effort. I'm doing a coast to coast Blackpool to Scarborough charity ride in August. Will be a fair old challenge no doubt.

I've been looking to see if anyone has trailblazed this route before but cannot find much on the t'interweb. I'm trying to find the safest a quietest route across - any ideas?

skudupnorth 02 Apr 16:33  

Bike:

My Profile
Welcome and well done on the 36+ mile ride after only 3 weeks being back in the saddle.Sorry cannot help on the Blackpool-Scarboough route but i am planning to do the Manchester - Blackpool run later in the year.

gostbike 10 Apr 16:41  

Bike:

hi every one sorry not been in touch for a while had problems with computer all sorted now. Decided to go on a bike ride last saturday ended up in blackpool it was the best ride ive ever done, definetly gona do it again in july for charity. would like to here more about the blackpool to scarborouth run that is in august.

merveilleusmark 28 Apr 04:51  

Bike:

My Profile
I'll be riding the Great Surrey Cycle on the 10th May. Thinking of doing the BHF Norwich and Glastonbury rides in the summer too. Hoping to ride a tonne in a day this year so using these rides as training.

My Latest Route: May 2009 Hailsham to Seaford via Ditchling Beacon

avcon 02 May 13:31  

Bike:

I'll be riding the Manchester - Blackpool again and the Manchester 100 (first time for that one).

I had intentions on a lot more but had to cancel lots due to a serious injury I've just recovered from!

goodwillgadabout 03 May 23:30  

Bike:

Bournemouth, UK > Johannesburg, Africa

http://www.goodwillgadabout.org.uk/

Tangospud 20 May 00:19  

Bike:

Doing the Manchester - Liverpool ride in a couple of weeks. Also in June doing the Beaverbrook's Windmill Bike Ride for the local Children's Hospice (Brian House, Blackpool). Which is a 45 mile route around the Fylde Coast, a very flat course.
Down to do the Manchester - Blackpool in July.
Finally, have entered the Manchester 100 (miles) in September for the first time. Hoping the above will put me in good stead for this one!

Tangospud 20 May 00:20  

Bike:

Doing the Manchester - Liverpool ride in a couple of weeks. Also in June doing the Beaverbrook's Windmill Bike Ride for the local Children's Hospice (Brian House, Blackpool). Which is a 45 mile route around the Fylde Coast, a very flat course.
Finally, have entered the Manchester 100 (miles) in September for the first time. Hoping the above will put me in good stead for this one!

Tangospud 20 May 00:21  

Bike:

clcclaire 01 Jun 15:18  

Bike:

Hi I'm new on here and am in need of lots of advice. Every year i make a point of doing something new for charity. I haven't cycled in years and have agreed to do the manchester to blackpool ride !! have i bitten off more than i can chew, i've got five weeks to train!! Also what type of accessories would you recommend for the day to make it a little more comfortable !!!.I'd be glad of lots of advice. thanks

Tangospud 01 Jun 20:40  

Bike:

Claire, the best preparation is to get as much practice as possible. The longer spent in the saddle - the easier you will find the ride. Getting your bike serviced is essential and maybe some padded shorts as you will be on that saddle for a long time.
On the day, bring plenty of water/fluids ( about 600-700 mls per hour in the saddle ). Energy foods like flapjacks, glucose tablets will help as well.

Most of all enjoy the ride, the Manchester - Blackpool is a fairly easy route without any challenging hills.

Good Luck

johnnie792 21 Jun 17:41  

Bike:

Hi am a newbie here but i am doing the C2C for help the Heroes charity over the 11&12 July then making my way back over the north west folowing the W2W route

if anyone wants to join in, you can get more info from here http://cycle-challenge.co.uk/

wbennett 25 Jun 07:34  

Bike:

I am organising an Edinburgh to London cycle ride for 100 people this August for my charity, Right To Play. We have 14 places left so if anyone is looking for a fantastic challenge for a worthy cause then please visit www.righttoplay.org.uk

Discounts for teams!

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.