We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

gpx routes ????

1 2 >
danram 20 May 16:36  

Bike:

My Profile
im trying to program my garmin dakota 20 and input gpx routes but im struggling can anyone help or point me in the right direction lol ??

Shy but Daft 21 May 02:16  

Bike:

My Profile
Hia,
I've also struggled to do gpx on my Garmin as I'm not pc friendly in any way, but now use basecamp. its a doddle and leaves me stress free, well most of the time anyway lol. If I can find my old destructions for gpx I shall pass them on to you. give me a few days as I've not long moved house and still a chaotic. Ali x

My Latest Route: Jun 2012 Warrington to Preston

Tigerlea 21 May 04:36  

Bike:

My Profile
It's really quite simple to put a GPX route onto your Garmin device (I use a Garmin Oregon 300). When you plug your device into the computer use your computer to browse the accessable files (like using an external drive or flash drive). There should be a route Garmin folder, go into that. Then in there is a GPX folder. When you download the GPX file from the site, put it into that folder. Eject your Garmin from the computer and, when you want to access the route, go to the 'route' or 'routing' option on your device. The GPX route should be in there. Select it, go 'view on map' or 'view map' and then select 'go'.

This process to access the route will, of course, vary slightly from device to device, however to put the GPX file onto the GPS should be the same. :)

Hopefully this helps?

My Latest Route: May 2012 West Byfleet to Worplesdon Circular

danram 21 May 12:04  

Bike:

My Profile
i have got my maps from talkytoaster does that make a difference as i dont seem to be able to make routes i will try your advice many thanks to both of you

danram 21 May 12:25  

Bike:

My Profile
thanks ali im sure that would be great as i need all the help i can get all the gear no idea lol dan

Shy but Daft 21 May 12:36  

Bike:

My Profile
Lol, glad I'm not the only one who cant do it! Im now going to TRY to put a route on for my Thursday ride. Fingers crossed now as its been a while doing it. (the garmin I mean !!)

danram 21 May 12:38  

Bike:

My Profile
lol where you going thursday ?

danram 21 May 12:40  

Bike:

My Profile
i have just updated the garmin its now uploading maps so i will give it ago soon if it does it before college at 7 sunny day and im stuck inside deep joy lol

Shy but Daft 21 May 13:34  

Bike:

My Profile
My plan,in theory, is to bike it from home (Longridge) to Preston, train to Lythym, go along the prom stopping for treats of ice cream or chips (never had chips at the beach so this is a must for me.lol) then go to Fleetwood, Garstang and back home to Longridge.Wont be in a rush so hoping to have a nice day plodding along at my own pace. Dont even know how long it'll take me yet. Really need to get my finger out and do the route tonight.

Shy but Daft 21 May 13:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Failing that. I'll do a ride that is already on the Garmin and cheat! I really really wanna do the trough of Bowland in June when I'm off but each time I plan to do it,it pours down. I'm used to getting wet but not at the very beginning.May be able to get a buddy to go too if its a Sunday, dont get weekends off so I'm a lonely bod. Boo hoo.

danram 21 May 16:03  

Bike:

My Profile
wow thats very impressive thats a longway im pretty new to cycling hence i need to garmin my routes or i will be found weeks later lol whelans is a great chip shop in lytham its on the main st, i am going to go in for a few sky rides i think they look quite good and can build my distance up i have done the manchester to blackpool ride a couple of time, some good hills round longridge x

Shy but Daft 21 May 16:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Okies, may pop in for a chip butty. I'd like to do some sky rides but there usually at weekends so I'm not available. As for my routes, I use my Garmin but still getting to grips with it myself so its fools play tbh.
Where are you based? we may be able to meet up and join forces one day?

danram 21 May 16:24  

Bike:

My Profile
im in preston not far away from you that could be a plan, im just trying to do a route now but its not playing gggrrr

Shy but Daft 21 May 16:31  

Bike:

My Profile
Hehe.I shouldn't laugh, I haven't even started mine yet,I'm bogged down with legal paperwork and loosing the will to live now. If I dont get it done tonight, I'll have to do it b4 work in the morning as I'll be too tired when I finish work. I know part of the route as I've done it b4 but its the part from Fleetwood to Garstang that is doing my head in now.

danram 21 May 16:39  

Bike:

My Profile
oh sorry am i disturbing you ? there is a big main rd that goes to garstang from there it goes past windy harbour this is giving me headache lol one map shows roads and one shows countryside i cant seem to get both on at same time as that would really help and these are ment to make life easy lol
dan

Shy but Daft 21 May 16:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Your not disturbing me.Finished it now anyway, was checking it was correct before I returned it.Are you using Google maps and then switching to something else?I get so confused and end up shouting at the pc and threatening to chuck it out the window in sheer frustration at times, then other times its a breeze and goes ok.
Right its my turn to do my route now. Oh god, wheres that bottle of rum? lol

danram 21 May 16:54  

Bike:

My Profile
i believe you can overlay maps on it apparently but i cant work that out think i may have to go to the place thats solves all my problems you tube lol x

Shy but Daft 21 May 17:03  

Bike:

My Profile
It works for me too!! This is so good to know someone else has the same problems, oops sorry, fun as I do.

danram 21 May 17:06  

Bike:

My Profile
ha ha progress i can now put routes from this site on my gps and veiw them and it works one small step for mankind a giant leap for danny boy lol x

Shy but Daft 21 May 17:12  

Bike:

My Profile
I'm pleased for you and annoyed for me as I cant remember how to do it at all!!. Got basecamp loaded and thats it. talk about feeling thick.lol Need to go downstairs and root out the destructions to remind me. Urghhhhh I hate pc's.

danram 21 May 17:16  

Bike:

My Profile
oh your lucky i havent got any im not using the garmin maps on mine so even harderer lol i am thinking of going all garmin but i may persist a bit longer dont like to be beaten x

danram 21 May 17:23  

Bike:

My Profile
right bed is calling me let me know how you get on night x

Shy but Daft 21 May 17:24  

Bike:

My Profile
I feel better now Ive found the destructions, it all makes sense, sort of. Ive even texted my pal to say I may need his help with it so be near his phone. I'll not live it down if i ask him. total embarrassment for me.Where are you planning to go? I may do the Guild wheel again on Friday , weather permitting, its not too far, about 30 miles or so from home and back. Here goes, deep breath Ali.

danram 22 May 12:39  

Bike:

My Profile
yeah guild wheel is a good ride it took us ages as i went with preston councill so there was all different levels the bridge is complete now too which is good im not planning any routes at moment just trying to use it lol im off work in 2 weeks so i will be out then defo im struggling a bit till then unless after work i havent really been out on new road bike its a shame but soon lol
so how did you get on or did you just drink rum lol
dan

Shy but Daft 22 May 15:06  

Bike:

My Profile
I was at it till gone half eleven then gave up. Not even trying now as too tired from late night and red eyes. wish I could say it was the rum but it wasn't.My mate has sent a link for me to do it but thats cheating, I'd rather learn it all again for myself.
Ref the guild wheel. I enjoyed doing it, took us about 4 hours as we stopped at Asda for a Maccy D and drink.We first done it when it was about half way done so there was a bit of rough riding which was fun but its still good now its finished. If I cant do this dam Garmin,I'll head off towards Clitheroe etc and see what's up there.
when I'm next off,(end of June)I may take myself off to my home ground of Chester and welsh coast for a few days.It should give me something to do.Untill then I'll keep plodding on with the Garmin. I'm that fed up about it now Ive asked for help on here and put a plea on the notice board at work too!! Hope you crack it soon as I may rope you in to help me lol . bye for now, Ali x

danram 22 May 15:15  

Bike:

My Profile
lol its good to see someone else having probs only so i dont seem so silly ?im off the guild week what speed do you ride at ? i will message you ok ali ? im dan x

Shy but Daft 22 May 17:09  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello again, my average speed is 9 to 11 mph. !5 going down hill lol! It also depends if there's a nice bum in front of me, (sorry, Im honest! lol) Ps been on the wine so apologies for typos etc.

danram 22 May 17:27  

Bike:

My Profile
lol excellent i like it i do the same lol look 07983614503 if you fancy a text lol im not on here all the time
dan

danram 22 May 17:31  

Bike:

My Profile
sorry i have had a few too so brave x

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.