We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

dunkerque to amsterdam?

1 2 >
paulhelyer 16 Jan 10:40  

Bike:

i am planning a ride from dunkerque to amsterdam later this year on road bike-. Can anyone recommend an approximate route please? Any pitfalls, problems, places to avoid?

we are planning to cover it in a day, starting at 6am and finishing hopefully before 10pm.

any advice is appreciated.

thanks,
paul

soren 16 Jan 17:54  

Bike:

My Profile

I have no experience of cycling in Europe, but plenty of experience driving in Europe,After having a quick look at google maps I would suggest you plan your route as close to the coast as possible staying mainly on the N roads, it looks at 1 point that you could get a ferry from Breskins to Vlissengen then over 1 or 2 longish Bridges before arriving in Rotterdam, I would then still stay close to the coast until I got nearer to Amsterdam then go in for the kill. I may be way off the mark but I hope I have given you some help.
Ride safe and the best of luck.

Preep 17 Jan 18:50  

Bike:

I have done most of the route following the North Sea Cycle Route (see http://www.northsea-cycle.com/default.asp?id=1&mnu=1&lang=1 for details).
Once you get to Belgium you can follow the coastal route to Sluis in the Netherlands, then follow LF1 (b direction) past Zandvoort, then take the LF20 through Haarlem and on to Amsterdam.
The route has 2 ferry crossings from Breskens to Vlissingen and from Rozenburg to Maassluis.
Useful guides are "Fietsennetwerk - De Kust (7) for Belgium and Noordzee/Waddenzee route for the netherlands.
The cycle route is interesting and relatively straight forward, but I took several days over it - is there a reason why you need to do it in a day? If so it may be quicker to stick to roads.

Peter

paulhelyer 18 Jan 16:03  

Bike:

Cheers for your suggestions.

If it is possible I would like to do it without ferries. Am I right in my calculations that it is around 200 miles from Dunkirk?

We are looking for a bit of a challenge. We completed Portsmouth to Brighton and back last summer (100 mile round trip) in half a day and so are looking to expand on this.

I do not mind a long, hard day and on the basis of a 15 mph average speed over 14 hours (if it is 200 miles) plus a couple of hours throughout the day to eat, stretch and fix punctures (plus raising a bit of cash for some worthy charities).

Paul

Bicycle Friends 01 Jun 16:18  

Bike:

My Profile
Don't worry about the fast ferry between Breskens and Vlissingen. In summertime, it goes twice an hour.
Otherwise you're obliged to use the Westerscheldetunnel in Terneuzen, and that's only possible if you put your bike on a bus of Connexxion!
http://www.westerscheldetunnel.nl/repository/faq//oversteek%20westerschelde.pdf (dutch, with time tables)
The first inland connection is possible only in Antwerp! I think you can forget your one day trip then.

FfJoe. 22 Dec 11:33  

Bike:

Hello Paul,
how did this planned ride go? I am planning a similar trip and would like to know if the route you took was suitable for road/racing bikes. Any help would be great. Someone suggested to me that the the north sea cyle route was largely unmade roads and only suitable for mountain bike/hybrids? Any truth in this? any answer welcome.

Bicycle Friends 26 Dec 17:57  

Bike:

My Profile
As far as I know, all parts of the Noordzeeroute are suitable for normal bicycles. Have a look at http://www.fietsnet.be/routeplanner/default.aspx
Only the orange lines are unpaved.

seomind 04 Nov 07:41  

Bike:

My Profile
I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work. BAM University

seomind 04 Nov 07:41  

Bike:

My Profile
I am a new user of this site so here i saw multiple articles and posts posted by this site,I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles. BAM University

seomind 04 Nov 07:44  

Bike:

My Profile
Through this post, I know that your good knowledge in playing with all the pieces was very helpful. I notify that this is the first place where I find issues I've been searching for. You have a clever yet attractive way of writing. BAM University

seomind 04 Nov 07:51  

Bike:

My Profile
I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. BAM University

seomind 04 Nov 07:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Excellent effort to make this blog more wonderful and attractive. BAM University

seomind 04 Nov 07:55  

Bike:

My Profile
I am genuinely thankful to the holder of this web page who has shared this wonderful paragraph at at this place BAM University

seomind 04 Nov 08:00  

Bike:

My Profile
Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot. BAM University

seomind 04 Nov 08:08  

Bike:

My Profile
I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website. BAM University

seomind 04 Nov 08:08  

Bike:

My Profile
I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this.. BAM University

seomind 04 Nov 08:12  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. BAM University

mrseod 16 Apr 10:35  

Bike:

My Profile
Really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us.Great site and a great topic as well i really get amazed to read this. Its really good. LQDFX REVIEW

mrseod 16 Apr 10:38  

Bike:

My Profile
Three are usually cheap Ralph Lauren available for sale each and every time you wish to buy. LQDFX REVIEW

mrseod 16 Apr 10:41  

Bike:

My Profile
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own Blog Engine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it. ZuluTrade Review

mrseod 16 Apr 10:44  

Bike:

My Profile
If you don"t mind proceed with this extraordinary work and I anticipate a greater amount of your magnificent blog entries ZuluTrade Review

mrseod 16 Apr 10:46  

Bike:

My Profile
Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts ZuluTrade Review

mrseod 16 Apr 10:48  

Bike:

My Profile
this blog was really great, never seen a great blog like this before. i think im gonna share this to my friends.. BitMEX Review

mrseod 16 Apr 10:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for the best blog. it was very useful for me.keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. BitMEX Review

mrseod 16 Apr 10:53  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a splendid website! I"m extremely content with the remarks!. BitMEX Review

mrseod 16 Apr 10:56  

Bike:

My Profile
Cool you write, the information is very good and interesting, I'll give you a link to my site. VideForex Review

mrseod 16 Apr 10:59  

Bike:

My Profile
Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot. VideForex Review

Peter Kyle 19 Sep 14:49  

Bike:

My Profile
A property with a history of water damage may lose value on the real estate market, making these services a wise financial decision. https://roofrestorat1.livejournal.com/480.html

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.