We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Amsterdam to Calais

1 2 >
Jimhammer 19 Oct 16:44  

Bike:

My Profile
Myself and two friends are planning a trip for 2012. We will be getting a ferry to the hook of holland, then cycling to Amsterdam and then down to Calais via Bruges. Im just looking for a bit of advice on the best time to go, best routes and so on. It's going to be an easy one. We are thinking of taking about a week to do it.

My Latest Route: Jun 2012 Orpington to Guildford & Back - 85 Miles
SeanT 22 Oct 15:12  

Bike:

Hi Jim hammer. My brother and I cycled from Amsterdam down the coast then to brugge and on to Calais in early August this year (we also cycled from just outside Edinburgh to North Shields where we got the overnight ferry to Ijmuiden near Amsterdam. It was a lovely experience, though I would perhaps do it the other way round if doing it again re wind factor. Still, we enjoyed it all the same.

I just wrote up a blog about it and welcome to read a bit about our experiences. Make sure and have good cycle maps (though they can be expensive for each region). Holland has great cycling tracks/paths and belguims waterways are ideal to cycle along. Here is my blog (just cut and paste) - Enjoy

http://seanandmickcyclingtrip.blogspot.com/

Bicycle Friends 24 Oct 12:41  

Bike:

My Profile
What kind of accomodation will you use?

Jimhammer 25 Oct 16:24  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks Sean,that was an interesting read,most importatnly the very last bit of advice about cycling up to Holland instead of down to calais. as we are based in the south east,we were going to get the ferry from Harwich to the hook of Holland, however any chance to avoid headwinds would be a bonus, and i think we are going to change our plans and start from calais now.

To save on weight, we are going to go for Bed and breakfast and hostels.

My Latest Route: Jun 2012 Orpington to Guildford & Back - 85 Miles

SeanT 26 Oct 17:06  

Bike:

Hi Jim Hammer,

I am glad to hear you have decided to take our advice and cycle from Calais instead. You wont regret it, particluarly if wanting to do this within a week. It took us 10 days to cycle from Amsterdam to Calais, but took it fairly steady at times. Having the wind behind you for most of the way will be a God send. You could still basically cover the same route accept it would be the other way round and just simply cycle from Amsterdam back to the hook of Holland to get your ferry back to Harwick. What ever you do, you will enjoy cycling through Holland. best of luck to you and your friends on your trip.

Sean

annieslandmissile 27 Oct 12:58  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Sean T, wow that trip sounds really good fun!! I ve started to read your blog and see some of the photo s. Good stuff guys!

annieslandmissile 27 Oct 15:23  

Bike:

My Profile
Lovin the blog! The beers, chess games, campsite adventures. I m from Glasgow and had been planning a tour for next year although must admit had never thought of going abroad but now i m maybe thinking differently.

Bicycle Friends 27 Oct 16:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Halfway Brugge (Bruges) and Calais is the little town of Veurne (Furnes) absolutely worth a stop (or even a stay).
http://tourism.veurne.be/home/2263/default_tourism.aspx
Brugge is an obvious stop, although Gent (Ghent) has much more diversity and culturel richness for display.
In Damme you can spend two hours.
Middelburg is also worth a full day.

If you're spending a week in the Low Countries, then it's worth having a look if 'Vrienden op de Fiets' is not something for you.
http://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl
You get in touch with locals, paying a modest price for your overnightings and breakfasts.

SeanT 28 Oct 07:17  

Bike:

Hi Annieslandmissile and Bicycle friends

Annieslandmissile

Thanks for your nice comment. Just to mention that it was unfortunate that we dont have pictures of Scotland and England (re situation with cameras) - but many of the places we passed though on our way to Newcastle were really memorable and very scenic (and met some very nice people on our travels). I love cycling out in East Lothian as it is very beautiful countryside. There are so many nice places to cycle through in the uk and will have the odd long weekend break somehwre once the better weather comes in.

In Holland, the great thing is that it is flat and ideal for families cycling together especially as they have very safe cycling tracks and routes. I am glad to hear you are thinking of planning a trip abroad as it is really worth a go. You dont know till you try. I am a novice and yet managed to do it. The only thing I would do next time would be to make sure you find good campsites (if camping) by planning ahead. We were very hit and miss and relied on luck really as our blog candidly highlights. But what ever you do or plan for next year, I hope you have an enjoyable time. Sean

Bicycle Friends

You are absolutely correct about Veurne. We stopped of there for a sandwich at the main Plaza. I took a photo of the plaza as we were very impressed with the place. We were both tired and really only passing through, but thought it looked a great place to visit. I will add it into my blog and write a wee comment about.

It was regrettable that we didnt visit Ghent as I did read a little bit about it. There are so many places in Belguim to visit as you have correctly highlighted. Belguim will definately be a place I would like to go back to. Thanks again for your informative post

Sean

SamJones 11 Jan 18:51  

Bike:

Hi all, I would welcome your advice! I'm in Jersey Channel Islands and want to organise a cycle for charity - for the Jersey branch of the British Heart Foundation in memory of my dad. I'm rubbish with maps; get hopelessly lost and I'm not a fitness fanatic. What I am is dedicated to making this happen! The ferry from Jersey takes you to St Malo and its from there to Amsterdam - or from Amsterdam to St Malo - that I'd like to arrange. I've chosen this route as the ferry is cheap so fund raising will be 100% for the charity rather than going on paying travel etc. IS there anyone reading this blog who could help me with planning? How should I plan each day? Is 80 miles a day feasible - 40 in the morning and 40 in the afternoon? How do you locate camping areas along the way? Any help - no matter how little, would be great. Thank you - Sam

Clairecatt 16 Feb 11:53  

Bike:

Hi Jim,

My friend and I are planning Calais to Amsterdam , doing the b&b option. How did it go for you guys?

Claire

seomind 03 Dec 01:02  

Bike:

My Profile
Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 01:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming. Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 01:14  

Bike:

My Profile
I finally found great post here.I will get back here. I just added your blog to my bookmark sites. thanks.Quality posts is the crucial to invite the visitors to visit the web page, that's what this web page is providing. Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 01:18  

Bike:

My Profile
This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this.. Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 01:22  

Bike:

My Profile
Really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us.Great site and a great topic as well i really get amazed to read this. Its really good. Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 01:26  

Bike:

My Profile
Three are usually cheap Ralph Lauren available for sale each and every time you wish to buy. Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 01:29  

Bike:

My Profile
This post is very simple to read and appreciate without leaving any details out. Great work! Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 01:33  

Bike:

My Profile
I am overwhelmed by your post with such a nice topic. Usually I visit your blogs and get updated through the information you include but today’s blog would be the most appreciable. Well done! Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 01:37  

Bike:

My Profile
This is really very nice post you shared, i like the post, thanks for sharing.. Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 03 Dec 01:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Super site! I am Loving it!! Will return once more, Im taking your food likewise, Thanks. Le-vel MLM Review

seomind 06 Nov 07:11  

Bike:

My Profile
Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts financial freedom

seomind 06 Nov 07:17  

Bike:

My Profile
this blog was really great, never seen a great blog like this before. i think im gonna share this to my friends.. financial freedom

seomind 06 Nov 07:20  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for the best blog. it was very useful for me.keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. financial freedom

seomind 06 Nov 07:24  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a splendid website! I"m extremely content with the remarks!. financial freedom

seomind 06 Nov 07:27  

Bike:

My Profile
Cool you write, the information is very good and interesting, I'll give you a link to my site. financial freedom

seomind 13 Mar 10:50  

Bike:

My Profile
I wish more writers of this sort of substance would take the time you did to explore and compose so well. I am exceptionally awed with your vision and knowledge. James Bonadies Review

seomind 13 Mar 10:54  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello! I just wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice info you've got right here on this post. I will probably be coming back to your weblog for more soon! James Bonadies Review

seomind 13 Mar 10:56  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for your post. I’ve been thinking about writing a very comparable post over the last couple of weeks, I’ll probably keep it short and sweet and link to this instead if thats cool. Thanks. How To Flip Money

seomind 13 Mar 10:59  

Bike:

My Profile
I would also motivate just about every person to save this web page for any favorite assistance to assist posted the appearance. How To Flip Money

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.