We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Scottish Coast to Coast (on road)

1 2 >
weston.front 14 Mar 18:19  

Bike:

Has anyone planned / experienced a road route to ride from coast to coast across Scotland? Emphasis on the best / most scenic route, not the shortest! Something to take in the true grandier of the hills, lochs and empty places is what I have in mind.

nifty50 17 Mar 06:46  

Bike:

My Profile
I think you would need about ten different routes to take in the best scenary in Scotland. My route last summer from Lochinver to the Black Isle was certainly scenic starting with the individual peaks of Assynt, then moving through the wide Staths between the larger hills to the firths and coastal hills. It probably comes under the category of shortest as it was less than 100 miles but the traffic (apart from a few homicidal logging lorries) was sparse.

One of the big problems for choosing an on road route is that unlike lowlands, uplands tend to have more main roads than minor roads plus many of the minor roads are dead ends. This means that finding a quiet route all the way is almost impossible when the weather is likely to be most favourable.

This, however wouldn't put me off. How about Kyle of lochalsh to Peterhead via Fort Augustus and Grantown-on-Spey. If you want to use a train at both ends then you could finish at Aberdeen taking in the Lecht pass.

Or how about Oban to Aberdeen via Pitlochry and Braemar throwing in a big detour to climb the spectacular Glen Coe.

Now if you want a really long route, how about Solway Firth to Cape Wrath!

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Tyndrum to Pitlochry

nifty50 17 Mar 17:45  

Bike:

My Profile
I've got stuck into this one now - a definite target. Most westerley settlement to most easterley settlement. Grigadale on the Ardnamuchan peninsula to Peterhead. There are two major options here but I don't think you can miss out Glen Coe so here goes:

Day 1/2 Ardnamuchan to Ballachulish/Glen Coe via Corran Ferry.

Day 2/4 Ascend Glen Coe, cross Rannoch Moor (very exposed) and descend to Bridge of Orchy or Tyndrum stations. Catch a train to Rannoch station. Due east to Pitlochry.

Day 3/6 Pitlochry to Strathdon via Glenshee, Balmoral and the Lecht.

Day 4/7 Stathdon to Peterhead.

I think I'll add it as a route now.

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Tyndrum to Pitlochry

weston.front 17 Mar 19:02  

Bike:

Thanks, I'll take a look at these ideas on a map. This will be something for 2013, as we have the more modest Coast & Castles planned for this year, then a 5 day walking tour of the Lake District (a figure of eight centred on Great Langdale) to keep us entertaining this year

Thanks again for the ideas

W

Marigold 25 Nov 15:40  

Bike:

My Profile
This is exactly the thread I was looking for as I'm planning to do the Coast to Coast from Aberdeen or Peterhead in 2013.
Thanks for the C-t-C recommendation Nifty50 as this could likely be the way I choose on a road bike.

In Nov 2009 I cycled from Bridlington, E.Yorks to Shetland towing a trailer which had my cat in it. We embarked on some pretty bad weather, but overall it was an amazing experience and I really miss the challenge. Anyway, I will probably post the route to this site as it took in all the best scenery I could utilize without being too reliant on B&B's and accomm...just camping.

I am planning to do the C to C there and back and for charity so that should be fun :-)

My Latest Route: Jan 2013 Aberdeen to Kyle Of Localsh Coast-to-coast

weston.front 26 Nov 12:35  

Bike:

Having looked into this further, a route I favour is to follow Sustrans Route 78 from Campbell Town to Inverness - ca. 240 miles. Only downside are the logistics to get to / from Campbell town.

Marigold - most interested to hear about your adventure with your cat. Does he / she often coming out in the trailer?

Marigold 02 Jan 11:18  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Weston.front

I've been looking at the Sustrans routes and they're great in one respect, but I am surprised there's not a dedicated Coast to Coast route from Aberdeen to Kyle of Localsh. Mind you there are some great country roads in Deeside which take you up to Banchory and Braemar.

You asked about the trip i took with my cat in a trailer - he he :-) that was v. interesting/ She was an old cat who sadly died a year later and didn't like travelling too much to be honest, but I had to take her with me on the trip...she like it when I camped and sometimes didn't like having to leave especially when we were stealth camping in wooded areas...she loved it.

I have another cat now, who is more suited to travelling and I've been looking at some pretty good trailer set-ups. Never again will I use a child trailer, esp Avenir because most of them(or the one I had)didn't have a solid base and was letting the rain in from the road but I bought it in a hurry and the tyres were terrible for punctures.

This hasn't put me off taking a cat again, but there's no doubt it was trying at times.

Also a route up to Tomintoul (has a great cafe there too) is a serious option for me on my charity C-t-C ride.

I take it you live quite a distance from Campbell Town?

My Latest Route: Jan 2013 Aberdeen to Kyle Of Localsh Coast-to-coast

weston.front 03 Jan 15:22  

Bike:

Yes, Lancashire

daavidfischer 11 Sep 06:43  

Bike:

I have never experienced the coast to coast ride, but my brother when he went Scottland last year, they went for the coast driving and he still remembers the incident with its full thrill. He describes it as the most beautiful past time one can do in the life.

[url=http://www.garciniasideeffects.com]garciniasideeffects.com[/url]

daavidfischer 11 Sep 06:43  

Bike:

Yep, I have never experienced the coast to coast ride, but my brother when he went Scottland last year, they went for the coast driving and he still remembers the incident with its full thrill. http://www.garciniasideeffects.com He describes it as the most beautiful past time one can do in the life.

seomind 26 Feb 10:53  

Bike:

My Profile
You completed a number of nice points there. I did a search on the issue and found nearly all people will have the same opinion with your blog. Greg Luther Reviews

seomind 26 Feb 10:58  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a fabulous post I seen because of offer it. It is really what I expected to see trust in future you will continue in sharing such a mind boggling post Home Business Academy Reviews

seomind 26 Feb 11:06  

Bike:

My Profile
I feel very grateful that I read this. It is very helpful and very informative and I really learned a lot from it. Home Business Academy Reviews

seomind 26 Feb 11:10  

Bike:

My Profile
You completed certain reliable points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will agree with your blog. Home Business Academy Reviews

seomind 26 Feb 11:17  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a fabulous post I seen because of offer it. It is really what I expected to see trust in future you will continue in sharing such a mind boggling post Abu Fofanah Review

mrseod 23 Jul 10:33  

Bike:

My Profile
You completed a number of nice points there. I did a search on the issue and found nearly all people will have the same opinion with your blog. BitMEX

mrseod 23 Jul 10:38  

Bike:

My Profile
This is an awesome motivating article.I am practically satisfied with your great work.You put truly extremely supportive data. Keep it up. Continue blogging. Hoping to perusing your next post Just2Trade Review

mrseod 23 Jul 10:45  

Bike:

My Profile
It is extremely nice to see the greatest details presented in an easy and understanding manner. Just2Trade Review

mrseod 23 Jul 11:52  

Bike:

My Profile
I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you! Just2Trade Review

mrseod 24 Jul 03:58  

Bike:

My Profile
Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject! VideForex Review

mrseod 24 Jul 04:03  

Bike:

My Profile
Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up. Nadex Review

mrseod 24 Jul 04:17  

Bike:

My Profile
Thank you for the post. I will definitely comeback. Nadex Review

mrseod 24 Jul 04:22  

Bike:

My Profile
This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more ... good luck Nadex Review

mrseod 24 Jul 04:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Very nice article. I enjoyed reading your post. very nice share. I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks !. National Wealth Center Review

mrseod 24 Jul 04:47  

Bike:

My Profile
I'm happy to see the considerable subtle element here!. National Wealth Center Review

mikerooney 26 Jul 03:38  

Bike:

My Profile
I found this post very exciting. I am also sending it to my friends to enjoy this blog.
Georgia bulldogs varsity jacket

andrewmark 16 Oct 04:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Excellent article. The writing style which you have used in this article is very good and it made the article of better quality.
Jacket From Drive

Fancy2020 27 Dec 08:38  

Bike: Mingdun 29'

My Profile
Good post, I find it interesting

12>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.