We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Is my bike worth upgrading?

biddlyboobaa 09 Apr 15:56  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi guys, I currently have a Giant Yukon FX3, which was my first proper mountain bike. I've had it for about a year and a quarter, and have had a fair few problems with it along the way. Today I knackered the rear mech on a rock going down a trail, and now I'm looking at it thinking "Is this really worth buying decent parts for?"
I was looking at buying a new bike for around £1000 after Christmas anyway, so I'm tempted to just replace the cheap parts it came with, so as I'm not wasting money, seeing as I'll probably be replacing it soon - is this a good plan, or am I risking buy re-buying cheap kit? Guidance would be appreciated ^^

By the way, the current rear mech is an SRAM sx4 - I could pick up another of these for about £17.

ozzie51 11 Apr 17:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,
I would keep the bike on the road as cheap as possible till the time is right for a new bike.
Upgrading is expansive, and if you have a cheap bike and put new upgraded group set you still have cheap wheels and frame etc. You should get a very good bike for 1000pounds.
John

biddlyboobaa 12 Apr 04:57  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks, I picked up an SRAM x5 second hand, (cosmetic damage, fully working) for £13. Cheapness is awesome ^^

Pesmo 13 Apr 16:47  

Bike:

My Profile
If you get into cycling regularly its best to have 2 bikes anyway. I have two and it means that I can go out twice a week without fail even if one is broken which it typically is several times a year even though I don't do serious offroading. Upgrade by all means to a new bike but I would keep the old one going as a spare.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.