We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

buttermilk hill?

1 2 3 > >>
steve b 23 Sep 15:37  

Bike:

Hi

Are there any cyclists out there, particularly from the midlands, who have tackled Buttermilk hill?
Its used on the Evans Cycles "Ride it" road sportive in cannock.
Just interested as me and a couple of cycling buddies were out riding around cannock and rugeley a few weeks back and we came to a hill that was apparently a 13% gradient but it seemed more like 30%!
Needless to say we were all off our bikes before we got to the top.

Was this Buttermilk hill??

steve

JS73 02 Mar 09:57  

Bike:

Only just seen this and thought I would respond, having ridden the Evans Sportive that you mention. (which is on again this year, and is highly recommended).

Buttermilk Hill is just northwest of Blithfield Reservoir. The link below shows the approach road.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/402738

If you and your mates were off your bikes then you would have been in plentiful company on the sportive. And you'd have been passing people who stayed on their bikes. Me and my mate barely made it, our front wheels skipping off the tarmac at every pedal stroke.

At the top, he muttered "I thought that my insides were going to come out". That's Buttermilk Hill. It was on the 2011 Tour of Britain route.

Paul JH 08 Oct 23:05  

Bike:

My Profile
I rode the named sportive on Sunday (07/10/12) in good company and at a reasonable pace.
A seasoned and veteran cyclist, alas... Buttermilk Hill bested me and I was also forced to drag my weary feet up the steep slope.
My companion (somewhat younger and more lithe I hasten to add) managed to gallantly pedal all the way, though he did put his success down in part to being equipped with a triple.
Incidently Evans should be commended for an excellent event. The staff were freindly chatty and helpful, the drink stations well stocked, and the organisation well orchestrated. All this for Twelve and a half quid... well underpriced.. Thankyou Evans.

My Latest Route: May 2013 NW Ipswich

steve b 11 Oct 06:52  

Bike:

I heard the sportive was a well organised ride. Unfortunately I wasn't available to do it myself.
I have rode up Buttermilk Hill since my original post with much more success. I think the problem was, my friends and I were too eager to get up there and went as hard as possible. My next attempt was a little more reserved and I made it, I still found the road surface quite tricky though....

AdyK 08 Sep 17:26  

Bike:

Rode up it today after my mates told me about it a few weeks ago, did hanbury hill and marchington cliff before that as well. I knew what to expect, so managed to ride up ok, I have got a hybrid though so probably lower gearing, and hats off to the car that waited for me near the top :-)

AlanG 12 Aug 07:11  

Bike:

In the 1950s I worked in the Kynoch Works and there was sports clubs for staff including the Kynoch Cycling Club. There was an annual Hill Climb KCC club event on Buttermilk hill, most competitors (including me) used a fixed 60 inch gear. I left the Midlands in the 1960s I assume the KCC closed.
Alan G
12 August 2015

Eccyboy 26 Sep 17:24  

Bike:

I attempted Buttermilk Hill today, sign says 17%, Veloviewer says 19% max with 11% average. I was fine in my bottom gear of 35/29 but the road was damp and slimey so the back wheel slipped too much to keep momentum and I had to abort. The road is entirely enclosed by trees so problably stays damp a lot of the time. If you are strong enough to stay in the saddle you should be okay, unfortunately I wasn't.

seomind 18 Feb 08:22  

Bike:

My Profile
I just got to this amazing site not long ago. I was actually captured with the piece of resources you have got here. Big thumbs up for making such wonderful blog page! Digistore24 Review

seomind 18 Feb 08:29  

Bike:

My Profile
I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts. Digistore24 Review

seomind 18 Feb 08:34  

Bike:

My Profile
This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you. Digistore24 Review

seomind 18 Feb 08:40  

Bike:

My Profile
I read that Post and got it fine and informative. Please share more like that... AcreTrader Review

seomind 18 Feb 08:47  

Bike:

My Profile
I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work. AcreTrader Review

seomind 18 Feb 08:51  

Bike:

My Profile
I really enjoyed reading this post, big fan. Keep up the good work andplease tell me when can you publish more articles or where can I read more on the subject? AcreTrader Review

seomind 18 Feb 08:55  

Bike:

My Profile
I was taking a gander at some of your posts on this site and I consider this site is truly informational! Keep setting up.. AcreTrader Review

seomind 18 Feb 09:03  

Bike:

My Profile
A great website with interesting and unique material what else would you need. AcreTrader Review

seomind 20 Sep 06:24  

Bike:

My Profile
I truly like you're composing style, incredible data, thankyou for posting. Copy Paste Income Review

seomind 20 Sep 06:32  

Bike:

My Profile
I would recommend my profile is important to me, I invite you to discuss this topic... Copy Paste Income Review

seomind 20 Sep 06:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Always so interesting to visit your site.What a great info, thank you for sharing. this will help me so much in my learning Midas Legacy

seomind 20 Sep 06:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Gangaur Realtech is a professionally managed organisation specializing in real estate services where integrated services are provided by professionals to its clients seeking increased value by owning, occupying or investing in real estate. Midas Legacy

seomind 20 Sep 06:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Its as if you had a great grasp on the subject matter, but you forgot to include your readers. Perhaps you should think about this from more than one angle. Midas Legacy

seomind 20 Sep 06:45  

Bike:

My Profile
If your looking for Online Illinois license plate sticker renewals then you have need to come to the right place.We offer the fastest Illinois license plate sticker renewals in the state. Max International Commissions

seomind 20 Sep 06:58  

Bike:

My Profile
The worst part of it was that the software only worked intermittently and the data was not accurate. You obviously canot confront anyone about what you have discovered if the information is not right. Max International Commissions

seomind 20 Sep 07:01  

Bike:

My Profile
Here at this site really the fastidious material collection so that everybody can enjoy a lot. Max International Commissions

seomind 20 Sep 07:05  

Bike:

My Profile
Amazing knowledge and I like to share this kind of information with my friends and hope they like it they why I do Zango

seomind 20 Sep 07:09  

Bike:

My Profile
wow... what a great blog, this writter who wrote this article it's realy a great blogger, this article so inspiring me to be a better person Zango

seomind 12 Jan 07:06  

Bike:

My Profile
I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website. Spare 5 Review

seomind 12 Jan 07:10  

Bike:

My Profile
I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this.. Tai Lopez Reviews

seomind 12 Jan 07:14  

Bike:

My Profile
You completed certain reliable points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will agree with your blog. Tai Lopez Reviews

seomind 12 Jan 07:19  

Bike:

My Profile
The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention. Tai Lopez Reviews

seomind 12 Jan 07:23  

Bike:

My Profile
Very informative post ! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign ! Millionaire Biz Pro Reviews

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.