We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Sticky thread What injuries have you had?

1 2 3 > >>
mattk 21 Apr 09:53  

Bike:

My Profile
Went out on the weekend and my front wheel got wedged in a 4x4 track and my feet were locked in - I went over and my handle bars turned... managed to wind myself by landing on the bar end and now have a nice bruise on my ribs!

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN
nicola 23 Apr 06:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Sounds painful!

A while back I went on a mud trail with a cycling buddy who decided to suddenly stop to ask a 4x4 driver for directions. I had the choice of ploughing into the 4x4, my mate or bailing the bike. I chose to bail but kinda wish I hadn't. My shoes were locked into my pedals and I ended up sandwiching my thigh between the ground and my bike resulting in a ginormous bruise about 20cm diameter that stayed for about 2 weeks, as well as scatches and grazes all down my arm and leg. Ouch indeed!

skudupnorth 24 Apr 12:03  

Bike:

My Profile
All four corners ! Knees and elbows plus palms of hands and one broken collar bone ....cycling is great !

happy 24 Apr 12:21  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
@skudupnorth

ouch!!!

how'd u break your collar bone?

happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

happy 24 Apr 12:31  

My Profile
@nicola

ahh its character building stuff that! doesn't do anyone any harm falling off now and again, unless you break your collar bone :P

happy

skudupnorth 28 Apr 04:27  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Happy,airbourne overt the bars !!! Not done that since because you cannot ride afterwards !!!!

mattk 28 Apr 04:33  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Skudupnorth,

Do you mean you can never ride again - surely not...?
If not how long do you have to wait for it to heal?
Sounds seriously painful!!

happy 28 Apr 04:34  

My Profile
@skidupnorth ouch!

I've only gone over my bars once as well. Was racing my brother through a forest. He threw more caution to the wind and was a bit away from me. We came up to this blind corner which my brother went round before me. When I got round he was no where to be seen, but across the path was over grown bushes. Assuming he had gone straight through them so did I...

Needless to say the bike stopped dead in the bushes and I went for a little fly and tumble down the hill. My brother had some round the corner and decided to sensibly go around it.

good times.

skudupnorth 28 Apr 07:50  

Bike:

My Profile
Oh no i can ride again,just meant i had to wait till the bones bonded again but i have a nice lump where the join is ! Now you cannot get me off the bike either on road or off,i even sold my car because it got so little use !!!

mattk 28 Apr 08:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Glad you weren't permanently injured... I bet it took a while to heal tho!

Cycling is a much cheaper way to get around, but I couldn't do without my car - bit of a car fanatic... but I love a good bike ride in the countryside - keeps you fit too!

Cycling Dude 29 Apr 16:32  

Bike:

My Profile
being a cycling instructor, I know how accidents happan and how to stop them!

my accident was when one of my lights went out, and I crashing in a bridleway gate (he high long ones) and yea it kinda hurt, so in the future am taking abit extra care!

My Latest Route: Jun 2009 Silkworth and Herrington Circular

avcon 02 May 12:57  

Bike:

My most recent cycle injury obtained was my fractured pelvis! I got it after being hit by a car right outside my house as I was turning in after a morning ride.
Bloody excruciating!!!

dudley 04 May 07:00  

Bike:

My Profile
over the bars aged 10 - broken collar bone
fast car overtook on a country lane, 'stout twig' came off his rear wheel and spun through my front forks - over i went.
nobodies fault - unlucky accident.

other than that, i tore off a hang nail removing gloves a few weeks ago!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

mattk 05 May 07:01  

Bike:

My Profile
Hey Dudley,

Thats pretty unlucky - what are the chances? And how'd you manage to rip off a nail from taking a glove off?...

I think its sometimes better if your injury is your own fault - nobody but yourself to blame and I guess you should learn a lesson from it - but with nobody to blame how can you learn from that? By not being there at all?

Kevin Algar 27 May 12:35  

Bike:

My Profile
I was overtaking a car in a cycle lane a few months back, the car drifted into the cycle lane (like they do) I went over my handlebars and got my front teeth broken, my chin split open and a my elbow fractured.

I feel like a fully fledged member of the cycling fraternity after that.

My Latest Route: Jun 2009 Ipswich to East Bergholt

norrymerrida 04 Jul 15:46  

Bike:

me and mt brother got new bikes ( hadnt been on one for years ) went striaght out for a 4hr cycle and couldnt sit down for a week, what happened to the old griffter seats lol

Cycling Dude 04 Jul 16:10  

Bike:

My Profile
If you guys live in sunderland

email me plz

stealthcycling@hotmail.co.uk

My Latest Route: Jun 2009 Silkworth and Herrington Circular

asleep_by_the_road 05 Jul 18:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Cycling round a roundabout - Sunday morning, car pulled out along side me and side-swiped me - Went flying, tore/pulled lots of ligaments and tendons in my shoulder. - That was sort of nasty....

Other than that went halfway over my handlebars when my front wheel went down a broken drain cover (completely my fault) - Lumps on both thighs where I hit the breaks (racing bike)

My Latest Route: Jul 2009 Scunthorpe Circular via Alkborough

davetheconvert 19 Jul 09:00  

Bike:

My Profile
I had an altercation with a wet roundabout. On turning right my backwheel overtook me- not a good thing.
I took the fall on my chin, resulting in my chin splitting- it was a nice deep gash about 1.25 inches long. I also suffered some whiplash type injuries to both shoulders and back from my head bouncing off the tarmac (I hope you're not laughing!!). I was knocked out briefly and very badly winded.
Two days later my left ribs started hurting, and it transpires I broke some ribs.
I cleaned my bike yesterday and found blood in all sorts of strange places, and it hurts when I laugh, sneeze, cough or breathe in sharply. I have just cycled 30 miles it now hurts even more. However a broken rib or two will not stop me!!!

My Latest Route: Jul 2009 Abbots Bromley to Blithbury Circular

Ridededog 19 Jul 11:04  

Bike:

I had two events, the first one, went down a hill and had a sharp turn coming up, back brake failed to work so used the front brake, turned a little, skidded, fell over, pedal went into my right thigh, into the muscle.

The second one, went around a medium-sized roundabout at about 25mph, skidded on a manhole cover, fell, almost got ran over by a taxi who was close behind me (lucky he braked hard), pulled a ligament in my right knee. The strange thing about this event, there was something like 20 people standing around me, wondering what to do, it was only by the offchance that two police officers who was on foot walking past, wondering what all the fuss was about, came over, noticed me, got me up and over to the side of the roundabout and called an ambulance.
The thing is the police arrived 10 mins after I had the crash!

Due to these two events, being 3 days apart, I'm now unable to straighten my right leg and this was 5 years ago. I still cycle but with a lower saddle

supermackem 04 Jan 17:03  

Bike:

i went out on my tandem with eldist daughter did 40 miles lovly sunny day coming down carlton bank near stokesly long twisting sharp turn steep hill breaking and leting of then over the catle grid and a all mighty bang trye blew out we went right over other side of raod i tried to keep tandem up but at 35 miles an hour no way next thing i am lieing in road blood every where broken collar bone and daughter graveled rashed all over as it was a warm hot day shorts and t shirts lol so we where still strapped into our pedles she pulled tandem off me and called for ambulance patched up at hospital and now its been 5 month i still have a broken collar bone now i need a bone grarft from my pelvis to collar bone pin it and plate it wish the doctor did it on the 23 august not in febuary 2010 dang no cycling or scuba diving still for a long time till it heals do not belive wat other people say that oh i got striat back on cycle i am still waiting to be fixed lol

BusterG 22 Mar 06:50  

Bike:

My Profile
I feel lucky reading your injuries as I have only had a collection of cut and skinned knees. Being tall and that consisting of mainly leg i tend to bash them if I do come off. Just started road biking so I havent come off that yet but I am always tumbling off my mountain bike.
Worst leg injury was the most innocuous one as it looked like nothing then swelled up the next day. That took 6 weeks to sort out after various antibiotics and anti-inflamatories didnt work.
:-)

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

OrangeJez 02 Apr 10:31  

Bike:

My Profile
I got knocked off by a lorry coming out of a side road in central london two weeks ago. Cracked rib, bruised knees and a 1 inch scar above my right eye. Nice.

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 Twickers to Baker Street Commute

jacobwise 10 Aug 09:51  

Bike:

My Profile
My first post! Anyway back on subject; I was going fast downhill when I hit a small bump that sent me flying up in the air and landed on my front wheel making me go over the handel bars and slide about 5m on my front! Only got a few cuts and bruises but apart from that I was fine!

My Latest Route: Aug 2010 Cranleigh to Winterfold Hill Climb Loop

JamTartMan 14 Aug 10:33  

Bike:

Newbie here, and first post. Was interested to see what sort of injuries people get as my last 2 wheeled passions (ones with engines) have left me with assorted broken bits (right collar bone, left collar bone twice, 3 ribs, little finger, assorted screws and metal plates) not to mention all the bruises and gravel rash. Bought an XC/trail bike a couple of years ago when daughter was born and haven't got out much until recently. No broken bones, yet, but I have had a few silly offs. Much like the last post, I went over the handlebars - a failed attempt to nip across a couple of logs. Front wheel went over the first but the second one moved forward allowing the wheel to drop down between them. I was summersaulted over the bars, and as I use SPDs, the bike summersaulted with me. I hit my dodgy shoulder on the ground, must have whacked my head, but thank goodness for helmets, and the bike crashed down on to my chest. Dont know how, but I had such a bruise on my thigh that it took weeks to fade.

Hopefully, that will be the worst that happens (touching wood)

parlo 12 Jan 14:12  

Bike: GT Avalanche

My Profile
Couple years ago.Cycling home from work on designated path, 3ft from road. Going downhill. Metal railling was on path, too late in seeing it, over I went. Only thing I remember, is on my back trying to stop bike from landing on,me with my feet.
Couple of cuts to shoulder & elbow, ripped jacket, broken helmet. But best of all BROKEN RIGHT CLAVICAL(collar bone). Took 3 months off work.

My Latest Route: Aug 2012 Strathkelvin & Canal Route

ozzie51 03 Mar 16:49  

Bike:

My Profile
Gidday fellow sufferers,
Back to cycling after 40yrs(now57yr) 3 mishapes, first turned a corner too fast, badly grazed Knees and elbows, 2nd entred th Brisbane to Gold coast race 100Km, got side swiped at start comtinued but right arm became sore and painful, continued could not use the arm so braking and gear change only one side, finished in 4hrs, went to hospital 2 days later to be told I had bocken the radial bone end off had to have a pin put in, 3rd cycling along the cycle track to discover I had a puncture in the rear, picked a nice spot of grass but when I turned off a 2ft deap hole hidden by grass, over the bars and land flat on my back unable to move with pain, after a short rest fixed the puncture and rode home, ripped most of the muscles from my chest, it only hurts when I laugh, and snezze. Back on the bike and planning my June-Oct trip to Nottingham.
John
Ps miss a spell check
PPs need a bike

matski 06 Mar 11:18  

Bike:

My injury was from a big fall when skiing - bent my right thumb back and it's never been the same since, especially when cycling and going over uneven roads! Have tried replacing and changing the handle-bar grips to larger padded ones with more support to my thumb, but it's still fairly painful and put me off cycling more than 20/25 miles at a time.

Has anyone got any suggestions or know of better handle-grips that would help? My bike has straight handle-bars.

sdwalker 22 Mar 09:04  

Bike:

My Profile
@ matski

you might fins a bit of physio will help with the pain in your thumb not surte if you have seen anyone about it?

and on topic i have had several accidents over hadle bars and landed in a nettle patch stung to buggery but was with a large group so more pride hurt than myself. But my big one was a couple of years ago onmy way home from work not enough room in my bag for some last minute dinner provisions so on the handle bar they went took a corner at about 25 wind caught the bag knoked it into my front wheel everything went into slow motiona i sailed through the air landed straight on my face and ended up with a shattered chin broken and dislocated jaw and the oobviouse gravel rash from skidding my face down the road a lot of blood and the wind was knoked out of m. the miraculous bnit was the car behind stoped about 6 inches from my head too. was eating soup a shakes for 6 weeks whil my jaw reset and lost about 4 stone in weight

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

matski 23 Mar 11:17  

Bike:

Thanks SDWalker - at moment am waiting to be referred to the hospital physio, the reason why I've only just got round to doing it now, is because was waiting until I got back from a skiing trip last month... but thank you for the advice.

Although compared to the sound of your numerous injuries - I can't complain!

123>>>

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.