We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

west highland way 2011

billyt130 10 Jul 15:25  

Bike:

i have just completed the whw by bike in 2 days and would like to say , wow was amazing , the views are to die for and the downhill sections are just awesome , im writing this thread as theres a lot of negative talk about cyciling the whw and yeah conic hill is tough and the east side of loch lomond is a soul destroying 4 mile or so carry and even the devils staircase is a challange , but i did it on a carrera kraken and that aint a fancy top of the range bike and i just thing you should go for it guys , the ride down into glen coe is breath taking and the amazing 2mile down hill into kinlochleven still has the big cheesy grin on my face as i write this :) , tough yeah its tough but nobody said it would be easy but its 100% defo worth it , any advice or tips needed then feel free to email me billytinlin@hotmail.co.uk or look at my pics on facebook .

Garyjh32 03 Sep 09:53  

Bike:

Hi there mate me & my friends are doing it in 3 weeks we are going to start from fort William we are also doing it on mountain bikes did u get any ferrie crossings to miss our tough sections?did u go through my brake pads ?any other advice u could gives us would be much appreciated

Gary

JamieRegan 21 Sep 07:21  

Bike:

Is the whw doable on a hybrid bike/ road bike or do you think it would have to be a mountain bike? Specifically the lower section as we're ultimately heading over to Oban and then the Uists.

billyt130 21 Sep 08:10  

Bike:

hi jamie , id defo recommend a mountain bike as its rugged in sections thats not to say you couldnt do it on your bike but i wouldnt lol , good luck to you mate and let me know how you get on .

JamieRegan 09 Oct 15:18  

Bike:

I think in view of a few comments we've had, we'll get the ferry from Inversnaid to Tarbet, across Loch Lomond and go up the west side, rather than the east.

buzy bee 20 Mar 16:13  

Bike:

Hi there are 6 of us doing the whw at end of april, looking for some honest advice about it, we are all of varying fitmess and technical ability and have planned to do Milngavie to Crainlarich then onto fort william on day 2. I'm a bit worried after reading some of the blogs about how technical it is. Any advise greatly apprecaited.

Daveydude 10 Apr 14:29  

Bike:

Hi folks new to this forum thing, just a general ask to everyone,
I am thinking of doing whw in a rash decision last minute kinda way!
Was considering ft william down in two days! Is this best way to do it?
Is it possible to miss out this devils staircase! And do west side o loch lomond! Is this cheating..
I feel I want to do whole route but not end myself in process,
I do bike quite a bit and am used to trail rides, but I notice a lot of folks saying extra brake pads essential anything else?
Planning on lite pack minimal exes, but don't want to be caught short!
1 day of planning is prob not enough, and still waiting to hear if either of two friends are keen to join me..
I know it's a lot of questions in one go but any help much appreciated.. :)

milnek 22 Apr 06:41  

Bike:

Hi - I haven't done it yet, but planning to do Fort William to Mingavie at the end of May. I'm doing it over 4 days/3nights. Starting with 5.30am train to Fort William (gets in about 9.50am)and will do the following stages:

Day 1: Fort William - Kinlochleven (16miles)
Kinlochleve to Kinghouse Hotel (9 miles, overnight there) - total 25 miles

day 2: Kinshouse - Inveroran (10 miles)
Inveroran - Tyndrum - 9 miles
Tyndrum - Inverarnan - 12 miles (Overnight at The Drovers Inn)- Total 31 miles

day 3: Inverarnan - Rowardennan (14 miles - overnight at Youth Hostel - kind of a rest day. I'm not doing the rough section - taking the ferry!

day 4: Rowardennan - Milngavie (29 miles) and then the train to Glasgow City Centre

I reckon that this is an enjoyable way of doing it, rather than an endurance test of 2 days. I'm meeting my wife in Tyndrum for lunch (Real Food cafe for fish and chips - best in Scotland) and then the Drovers (luxury jacuzzi suite for 2) on the 2nd day.

I did the `extra' section from Glasgow City centre to Mingavie yesterday (was thinking about doing this bit at the end the other way round). The pathway was vague from the West end to Maryhill - I spent an hour in Maryhill (mmm!!) riding in circles trying to find the Allander Way - finally got directed by friendly cyclists - would never have found it and I have a good sense of direction (and had an OS map too).

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.