We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Planning Scotland Trip in September

Emile 07 Aug 23:00  

Bike:

I am planning a 10-day bicycle trip to Scotland for sometime in September. I plan to camp out as much as possible during the trip. I haven't completely mapped out my route but I will spend at least some of the time in the Borders area. My questions:

1) What is recommended clothing for this time of year?

2) Does anybody have any recommendations for routes that I could link to from the Border area? I'm sure there are many, but any route that somebody particularly likes would be nice to know.

3) Is it considered acceptable to pitch a tent along the sides of roads in inconspicuous spots, or will the local police harass me unless I go to approved places?

Thanks for any information.

[Edit]
Just a clarification: I will definitely do the Dumfries and Galloway route shown on this web site, but would like people's opinions on where to go from there. For example, to the West coast or the East Coast, which do you prefer? Thanks.

dudley 08 Aug 10:43  

Bike:

My Profile
1/
September and May are often the nicest months in Scotland.
But then again, it may rain every day - just like anywhere else!
I'd be planning on cycling in shorts with a short sleeved jersey.
that said, i'd have full waterproofs too.
I wouldn't bother with full legs at this time of year, regardless of conditions.
i prefer wet legs to wet clothes.

2/
not my area of expertise

3/
the further north and west you go, the more acceptable it is.
I'd be a little more wary in the Central Belt.
we spent 10 days in the Hebrides, and camped wild every night

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Me Gell 08 Aug 16:06  

Bike:

My Profile
Yep be prepared for any Weather conditions, the Borders like any highland Area can be changeable.
How about the 4 Abbey's route? Done it a few times and there's lot's to see. Can be a bit hilly but not to bad from memory, sure you'll find more info if you google it.Also the Layme Sing Monestry worth a visit. (again google it) The Borders is riddled with cycle routes and quiet roads.
Don't think you'll have too much trouble camping as there are a lot of remote passes roads etc in the Borders, there's also a few Youth Hostels in the area, (Melrose being highly recommended)

See East Lothain routes for cycling East Lothain/Lammermuirs and into Borders and back.

Hope this helps

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 The Pleasance Edinburgh to Dunbar Route One

asad664 29 Jan 13:46  

Bike:

My Profile
Traveling is not just about seeing new places; it's also about savoring new flavors. In this article, we'll take you on a culinary adventure around the world, exploring the diverse and mouthwatering cuisines that make each destination unique. travel SEO

asad664 29 Jan 13:47  

Bike:

My Profile
Head to Italy and indulge in the exquisite taste of authentic pasta and pizza. Whether you're wandering the narrow streets of Rome, savoring a seafood feast in Cinque Terre, or exploring the vineyards of Tuscany, Italy offers a culinary experience that is as diverse as its regions. munchkin kittens for sale near me

asad664 03 Feb 10:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Prioritize your health by https://www.cabexpresso.com/ checking if any vaccinations or specific health precautions are required for your destination. Carry a basic first aid kit, and stay hydrated throughout your journey.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.