We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

NCN Route 1 and 7

wb 23 Oct 13:32  

Bike:

I am located in the US, but would like to come over and do a ride in Scotland.
The NCN routes look very appealing but I was wondering what type of terrain they are.
I own a Fuji Roubaix Road Bike so would need to ride completely on paved roads.
Is that possible with Route 1 (from Edinburgh to Inverness), and what about Route 7 (from Inverness to Glasgow)?

As I begin mapping out this dream adventure, any suggestions and or resources you would suggest.

Solweb 25 Oct 08:22  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello,
I have done route 7 fropm Glasgow to Inverness.
The majority of this is on quiet roads, however at the start - Glasgow to Balloch it goes along the side of the canal and is a path more suited to
MTB's and also between Aberfoyle and Callander is in Queen Elizabeth forest - not suitable for road bikes.
Having said that, you can easily go over the Dukes pass (road) between Aberfoyle and callander and although it can be busy with tourist coaches and sunday drivers, is very scenic and worth the cycle.
Best of luck with it, it is a superb run !

kingofcalifornia 25 Oct 10:49  

Bike:

I'm also planning on doing this on a road bike. There are regular trains from Glasgow Queen Street to Balloch, which means you can avoid the initial stage (it's urban and not particularly scenic). The Dukes Pass is a good run too. After the tough initial climb, you have a nice descent with some beautiful scenery.

samcycle 05 Mar 14:09  

Bike:

I'm hoping to do some of NR7 in a few weeks but was wondering on distances and time. I only have 2 full days. I'm planning on getting train to Balloch and then getting as far as Callander (need to check trains back to Edinburgh from there). Also hoping for accommodation along way as don't want to carry camping gear. Does anyone have advice on if this will be possible. I'm not super fit and probably could only manage around 40 miles per day.

Thanks

Sam

Solweb 09 Mar 17:52  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Sam,

Balloch to Callander is only approx 40 miles and you could do it in one day.
Problem with Callander is there is no train station there (nearest would be Dunblane or Bridge of Allan).
You could have 1 night in Callander and then either cycle north on day 2 to Pitlochry (approx 50 miles in beautiful countryside) or east to Dunblane (only around 20 miles).

Hope this helps.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.