We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Coming to Scotland to cycle- Need help!!

thebean 25 Mar 21:26  

Bike:

Greetings!

I am planning a rather lengthy and exciting visit to your country in September of this year. I am arriving in Glasgow Sept. 9th with my bike.

It is my intention to first walk the West Highland Way from Glasgow to Fort William, climbing Ben Lomond and Ben Nevis along the way. That leg of my trip should take about 10 days.

I will then ride my bike from Fort William out to the Isle of Skye and carry on back through the Great Glen along Loch Ness ending up in Inverness. The bike ride is approx. 165 miles.

My question to you is: how best can I ship my bike from Glasgow to Fort William so that I can pick it up there for the cycling leg of my journey? Are there any safe, reputable, inexpensive carriers that offer this service?

I await your response and thank you in advance for your time and thoughts. I am so enthused about this trip!

dudley 26 Mar 03:59  

Bike:

My Profile
you're going to love it.

Where are you coming from?

I can't help with the Courier angle. I've cycled over there, but either gone over in a car or on the train, and being with my bike.
Do you have a proper bike bag? This will make life a bit easier.

When cycling along Loch Ness, go along the South side. It is hillier, but a smaller country road. The road to the North is a main road, and can be very busy.
That said, Urquart Castle is on the North side and worth a visit.
do a full loop!

beware of flame-haired highland females - you have been warned.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

dudley 26 Mar 04:56  

Bike:

My Profile
i'd ring TNT in Inverness. A National Courier, but the have an Inverness depot, which would make an ideal pick up point.

They'll tell you how it should be packaged, bagged or boxed, how much it will cost, and what insurance cover they offer.

You are probably looking at £15 - £20 or so, i'd say.

www.tnt.co.uk
find Inverness depot info
call them

ronmac 03 Apr 06:58  

Bike:

My Profile
Dudley, If I understand his route it would be no good picking the bike up in Inverness. After doing West Highland Way he's going West to Skye on his bike. He has to pick up his bike in Fort William.

Mr Bean, That's quite a trip and will take a bit of organising. Where are you going to stay - in Youth Hostels ? I'll watch this forum with interest. I often take my bike on train from Glasgow to Fort William. Tickets can be quite cheap if booked in advance (bike costs nothing). Perhaps, maybe for a fee, scotrail will allow you to put bike on train yourself if someone was willing to collect it at Fort William for you.

dudley 03 Apr 17:28  

Bike:

My Profile
you're right - i read it again...!

happy 04 Apr 08:22  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
I'll second Urquhart Castle. Was there last November with the wife. Got a nice cafe too if you need to stop off, although I think you need to pay for entry which was about £10.00 so may be an expensive lunch if you don't do the castle stuff.

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.