We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Brand New to this....Be gentle

bigjim 25 Jul 09:50  

Bike:

Hello Guys n Gals
Just looking for some advice for a brand new cyclist(Me)and what bike to buy/where etc.

I'm 50 years young and never been on a bike since my teens. Interested in a mountain bike over a road bike probably becauuse we have a nature park next to us and the roads are a disgrace.

There the problem begins. Hard tails , big tails, wee tails 29'rs (ok I made a couple up ha ha !)but I haven't a scooby which one to choose.
My next problem would be where to buy ?. So far looking at Evans (Braehead), Alpine (Great Western Road) and any Halfords ????.

Last but by no means least, my biggest problem. I'm 6'6
I want the bike to fit me well and don't want to be conned in to an ill fitting bike by someone just because they know I'm a novice.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated ie:
What bike ?
Will it have to be specially made or will an XXL frame be ok ?
Where to buy ? I,m in North Lanarkshire
Approx cost ?

Thanks in advance

mstar12 25 Jul 10:10  

Bike:

My Profile
Go to Asda or Argos and get the cheapest hybrid/mountain bike you can get and the biggest. Make sure you can get the seat high enough to be able to sit on and put your heal on the pedal when your leg is straight. Give your body time to adjust to the exercise. Your undercarrage will not doubt have some hammer so get some cheap bike shorts which can be worn under other gear if you want.
If the biking dosnt work out you can give the bike away at very little cost to, on the other hand if it does by the time your bike needs changing you will know what suits you best.
Mick

My Latest Route: Aug 2011 Coast 2 Coast Workington to South Shields

THE BIG MAN 26 Jul 10:09  

Bike:

My Profile
well im 6,5 and i had to get a trek t.30 hybrid with a 25" frame and it also has the large 700c wheel which is about 29" when your ATB bike wheels are about 26". if its a large mountain or hybrid your after i would recomend a carrera subway from halfords it will deal with the rough terain aswell as roads and it comes in a 22" frame.

bigjim 26 Jul 12:28  

Bike:

Thanks Mike and Big Man

I was looking through the EVANS website and came across a

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2013 Mountain Bike. It's on page seven of the 29" wheel mountain bikes and you can get a xxl frame.£500

If you have a spare minute could you look at it please and tell me if it would be good for me(if that is possible ?)

What makes 29" wheels any different from the others ??? They seem to have a section of there own.

I did say I knew nothing about bikes ha ha ! sorry !

mstar12 26 Jul 13:16  

Bike:

My Profile
Im on to my 4th Hardrock now they are cheap for the standard bike. No discs or big wheels. I have a friend who bought a 29 incher and really struggled to find spare innertubes. If you wait until Sept all the proper bike shops will be putting the 2012 bikes on sale so you can pick up a real bargain. Just remember that mountain bikes are just that with big 2inch tyres and very low gears for climbing. I use mine for bikepacking with thinner road tyres fitted 1.5 and panniers. When it comes to getting over big hills with camping gear on the low gears make it much easier. It best not to get too technical and get something that you fancy. Also remember the more fancy things on a bike the more things to knack up.
Mick

My Latest Route: Aug 2011 Coast 2 Coast Workington to South Shields

alas58 26 Jul 15:04  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Bigjim

I have a hardrock pro 26er which I use for commuting, charity rides, social, and even a 42 mile sportive, so the hardrock is a good bike, comfortable, and can be upgraded later.

A 29er rides over the rough better, it is slower to pedal upto speed, but will cover the ground quicker when you are up to speed. I find my 26 a nippy bike, quick to change direction on narrow twisty tracks, the 29 not so but on the flowing tracks you can get it to fly.

All depends on what you want out of your bike. Hope this helps. alas

bigjim 27 Jul 06:03  

Bike:

Thanks guys
I doubt if I would be using it up and down mountains but maybe a forrest track and a little bit on the roads so maybe a hybrid.
I'll take a trip in to Evans in Braehead and Alpine to see what they say too.
Again, Thanks for all your help

bht147 28 Jul 02:57  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello bigjim, I am 6''5" and I tried bikes out at Evans to see what fit and to felt comfortable to me. I can really recommend that you do this and Evans are really helpful as they will get a large bike to let you road-test (£50 refundable deposit) with no obligation. I would also recommend that you do not buy a bike with chunky off-road tyres unless you need them as they are really hard work when on road. Good luck

My Latest Route: Jun 2013 Edmundbyers-st John's Chapel-edmundbyers

bigjim 28 Jul 14:45  

Bike:

ok. Thanks for that.
What did you end up with. Considering your height ?

bht147 28 Jul 16:08  

Bike:

My Profile
I bought a cannondale synapse at 63 cm which is a road bike but I also liked the trek fx series hybrid and found these to be a good fit at 25". Good luck

My Latest Route: Jun 2013 Edmundbyers-st John's Chapel-edmundbyers

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.