We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Cycling Around Coast of Ireland - Help!!

brigmceleney 09 Mar 00:21  

Bike:

Hello! This summer I am planning on taking a bike around the eastern, southern, and western coast of Ireland..starting in Dublin and once I get to Galway, cutting across back to Dublin and ending there. I have quite a few questions, and would really appreciate if anyone could help me out here!!!
First, would you recommend continuing up towards Sligo, or just ending in Galway? I am not sure if I would be missing anything really amazing if that's the furthest north that I go. My Aunt has been to Ireland before, and she told me that Northern Ireland is pretty unsafe. (Which matters quite a bit to me as I am a 20 year old girl who will be biking alone, and camping out as much as I possibly can.)
2nd, does anyone have any recommendations on bike rental places that would rent out for a longer period of time, like a month?
3rd, do you think a backpack would be sufficient to carry everything I need?
4th, any tips on super helpful gear?
5th, I'll be there for the month of June. Is the rain not too bad then?

That's all I can think of for now, though it seems that I always have a million questions boiling around in my head about how I'm going to do this. :)

P.s. If anyone has anything that they think may be helpful to me (even if it's not pertaining to any of my questions), PLEASE share!! I appreciate it so much.

-Bridget

paologhidini84@gmail.com 09 Mar 10:04  

Bike:

Sorry I cant be much helpful because I haven't done it yet, but I came across your post on my search for information, as I'm planning to do a round the coast cycling trip this coming summer as well.

I've been in Ireland a few times (mostly in the north), but I think I'm quite experienced on traveling, as I spent the last 2 years around the world, without never ever book a thing. I'd try to give you some tips regarding your doubts

1st: I'd go up till Sligo. I'd like to cover as much as I can, but my advice is always to take your time and dont push too much, just take it easy and go with the flow.

2nd: I'm going to ship my bicycle up there. With ryanair shipping cost is about 50euros one-way. not too bad.

3rd: It definitely worth equip your bike with panniers. Backpack while cycling is the most annoying thing ever.

4th: waterproof stuff would be better, but if you travel on a tight budget like myself, you got to be used to soaking wet gears once in a while ;)

5th: as little as I know Ireland, rain is an issue 365 days a year. Just assume it's going to rain as hell all the time. Then you'll appreciate more the sunny times! :)

In case you need confrontation or you find something more useful (free atlas, guides, on line travel diaries, etc) please contact me!

Paolo

paologhidini84@gmail.com

Josie Reddington Foundation 19 Mar 12:04  

Bike:

Hi Bridget,

We're hosting a Charity Cycle from Mayo on 8th June 2013. The route will travel through much of the county down into Galway and back up to Mayo.

Many of the participants are from Mayo and I'm sure they'd be delighted to give you some advice on the best places to see.

If you would like more info please visit our website www.josiereddington.org

lady.M 21 Mar 04:55  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello Bridget,
You are a brave girl to be undertaking this ride alone,May i suggest some essentials that i would not be without.... Padded shorts,Hi Viz vest and Helmest a must have,a dog deterrent like a dog dazzer,lights on the bike even if you dont plan to ride at nite as fog can come down unexpectadly and also panniers are more suitable for a journey of this amount of time rather than carrying a large backpack! also you might consider using Youth Hostels in some areas..... I have done quite a lot of rides on my own, sorry I can't advise on route at all as I have never cycled in Ireland, Just take care and heed advice from locals !

lady.M

jackmcc91 03 Apr 11:26  

Bike:

Hi Bridgit. Im planning cycle trip down Ireland this summer too and then on to France :). Im not an experienced cyclist but i am Irish so the only advice I can give you is not to disregard the North. County Donegal is arguably the most scenically stunning county of the lot. You will find it hard to find a warmer welcome than in the walled city of Derry with its deep culture and history. Its the UK city of culture this year so there will be lots going on. Its hard to beat for live music and a good nights craic and i know the "derry city independent hostel" has a great reputation with travellers. The North coast of Antrim is renowned for its natural beauty not to mention the giants causeway. Belfast is also a great fun city with loads of things to do. Im only brushing the surface here. I'm guessing it was over 15 years ago when your aunt last visited because although the North went through a pretty rough war between 1969 and 1998 things have calmed down a lot and its really no more safe or dangerous than anywhere else in the country now. Its a pity that reputation has stuck with it.
Have a great trip wherever you decide to go this summer. I'm sure you will!

Jack.

mochara 07 Apr 06:24  

Bike:

Hi Bridget

My partner and I are from Derry in Northern Ireland but currently living in Australia. We are keen cyclists and realised we have no seen enough of Ireland so plan to do this route in September 2013. My advice would be not to miss out the north as it is a beautiful place and no longer dangerous i the way you might think. It may be in your interest to buy a bike there if you cannot rent and simply sell it at the end or trade it into a local bike shop. We are bringing our bikes home from Australia and it really is made simple by most airlines these days. We are still in the early planning stages but we have set a route and will continue to exchange information as we continue to plan.

Ciaran & Amy

PS We are planning to stay with local familys on our travel and maybe if you make it to Derry you could stay with my parents who have plenty of space.

Kpc 26 Apr 16:22  

Bike:

Go for it. Take in Northern Ireland. it's beautiful.. Along the GIants CAuseway and Antrin Coat is spectacular.. Bring rain gear and as a previous contributor advised take your time The west coast from Donegal down to Mayo, GAlway, Clare and Kerry is also beautiful. Going on the south coast, Cork and Wateord is also beautiful. I have cycles the East coast from Wexford many times and plenty to see there. Accommodation I suggest is to go for bed and breakfasts. There are lots of them all along he coasts. I am planning a similar trip but not sure when. I live in Ireland and while I have cycled a lot of the country, I have not done around the coast. Enjoy your trip..Kevin.

carbon 27 Apr 04:59  

Bike:

Besides you should consider what you said above,there have a main point for you that a great bike,high performance bicycle equipment.Because you plan to go to a distance cycling trip,the performance of your bike is very important.According to the track,terrain,climate,choosing right bicycle components.If i were you,i will build them by myself.I can find high performance,stiff,durable,flexible and smooth parts,them assemble them.
[url=http://www.carbonalloywheels.com/mountain-bike-handlebar-flat-carbon-fiber.html]mountain bike handlebar[/url]
[url=http://www.carbonalloywheels.com/carbon-fiber-handlebar-integrated-mountain-bicycle.html]carbon fiber handlebar[/url]
[url=http://www.carbonalloywheels.com/road-bike-handlebar-with-computer-holder-carbon.html]road bike handlebar[/url]

PhilA 27 Apr 10:33  

Bike:

Hi Bridget,
Not sure where you are at with your planning but I cycled around Ireland in 08 and did the end to end in 11 so could definitely help with a few ideas, route etc.
I agree with all the other comments so far. Don't miss out the north.......it's terrific! Plan for rain and hope you won't get it every day. Panniers are the way to go. A backpack just isn't nice! Take your own bike if at all possible.......plus all the necessary spares.
My e mail is philip.arnold99@gmail.com

Have a brilliant trip.

Phil

ustrendingnews 22 Feb 00:16  

Bike:

My Profile
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news
honest columnist news

seomind 03 Dec 10:39  

Bike:

My Profile
I think this is a standout amongst the most critical data for me. What"s more, i"m happy perusing your article. Be that as it may, ought to comment on some broad things ClickBank Reviews

seomind 03 Dec 10:43  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi, I log on to your new stuff like every week. Your humoristic style is witty, keep it up ClickBank Reviews

seomind 03 Dec 10:47  

Bike:

My Profile
It has fully emerged to crown Singapore's southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that. ClickBank Reviews

seomind 03 Dec 10:50  

Bike:

My Profile
You actually make it look so easy with your performance but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never comprehend. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it! ClickBank Reviews

seomind 03 Dec 10:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Thank you so much for ding the impressive job here, everyone will surely like your post. ClickBank Reviews

seomind 03 Dec 10:54  

Bike:

My Profile
Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work! ClickBank Reviews

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.