We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

wheel upgrade?

leekingston 05 Jun 15:43  

Bike:

My Profile
I have a Boardman road comp race bike that I am fairly happy with but am considering improving the wheels. It has Mavic CXP 22 which for my level and the bike are fine but would it be worth putting some higher grade lighter race wheels, SRAMS, carbon wheels etc. Does anyone know if it is worth upgrading the wheels on a budget bike like this or would I be better to put the money into saving for a better bike? If changing wheels is worth while, what wheels should I consider? My budget would be around £500 but am flexible

My Latest Route: Jun 2012 Medway Circular
BusterG 07 Jun 08:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Personally I wouldnt bother. like putting smart racing alloy wheels onto a nissa micra. I can think of many more ways to spend £500.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

spaceman 08 Jun 14:01  

Bike:

My Profile
If you have £500 to spend on a new set of wheels, go for it, they will no doubt be lighter and faster, and well cool.

My Latest Route: Jul 2012 Bedworth to Startford Via Fosse Way and Return Via Kenilworth

leekingston 08 Jun 14:41  

Bike:

My Profile
The last two replies are interesting and contrasting. This is the problem I have. I kind of agree with both !

My Latest Route: Jun 2012 Medway Circular

skiad1 08 Jun 17:34  

Bike:

My Profile
Lighter wheels are the 'best' way to gain extra speed. You can, obviously, drop weight off any part of the whole but lighter wheels save weight & are quicker to accelerate due to a decrease in rotational mass, a win win scenario. The question of whether it's 'worth' the investment is a personal one. I don't know how your bike rides but I remember sticking a set of light wheels on my giant ocr a few years back. They made a massive difference over the stock shimano wheels & well worth the investment, BUT, I was happy with that bike at the time(it fitted, good groupset, fun to ride) before I bought a madone. I would, without a second thought, have kept the wheel money & got the better bike(bearing in mind the wheelset cost, in today's money, £600, the madone £2700). So, you pays your money, you takes your choice(or save your money...). You will notice a big difference to your ride but if you think you'll have that wee nagging doubt re a new bike with lesser wheels, don't upgrade the wheels. Incidentally, the madone, with the lightweight wheels transplanted from the ocr(I'm light on wheels so they last) is a truly sublime riding experience & lightyears ahead of the ocr, with the same wheels. Whatever you decide, best of luck!

skiad1 08 Jun 17:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Oh, & £500 will buy you a tidy set of hoops. You really need to check reviews from real world users. There is a good level of choice, from custom builds to carbon rimmed(though you're really looking at sale deals for them). My wheels are the predecessor to easton ea90. Slx's. These have been strong, reliable & durable, but I'm a light rider & ride light too. I never ride these wheels in the winter & they're still going strong after 4 years.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.