We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

chain lube

manta1 22 Jan 13:25  

Bike:

Hi, am new to forum and glad to be here,
I have a new bike and use it for work only and with salted roads i notice my chain rusted very quickly, i plan to wash and oil this weekend and just to ask, what is the best lube, i used to use wd40.

happy 22 Jan 13:32  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Hi Manta1,

I find that GT85 works really well. Can't miss it, comes in a red and black tin. That's all I've ever used, but I'm sure you can get proper oil to lube the chain, then just use GT85 to freshen it up every now and then.

Happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

manta1 22 Jan 14:07  

Bike:

Thanks happy, will look out for this oil and then give my bike it's treat.

paul448 25 Jan 14:09  

Bike:

My Profile
I have started using teflon dry lube and find it helps to keep the chain and sprocket cleaner through the winter as the salt and grit doesn't stick to it like oil.

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 Sedgley to Newport Loop

manta1 26 Jan 03:47  

Bike:

Thanks paul448, will look out for this product. I used to use wd40 in the past which was ok for a short time but the chain seemed to rust quicker than ever during wet weather.

dudley 26 Jan 07:17  

Bike:

My Profile
i've used GT85 and "Muc-off" chain lube

Each weekend i clean all the crud off the chain and gears with a Muc-Off spray

get the whole thing dry, and then re-lube

i used to get rust, then started lubricating. When i kept adding lube, it eventually got gunked up, so now i clean it right back and lube every Sunday.

Takes around 10 minutes all in.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

manta1 27 Jan 03:29  

Bike:

Thanks Dudley, the muck off solution sounds a good product, i cycle past a farm on my way to work and there is forever muck on the road, mud guards are a must!

happy 27 Jan 03:33  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
Hey all,

Theres a selection of Muc-Off products listed here just to give you an idea :

Muc-Off

Cheers,

Happy

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

Cullin 22 Feb 13:18  

Bike:

My Profile
I use Finishline Dry Teflon, goes on easy then drys, you don't get so messy when you have to touch the chain.

My Latest Route: Feb 2009 Hucknall to National Water Sports Centre.

dqb 04 Mar 10:48  

Bike:

Just a general comment - WD40 acts as a degreasant. Great for freeing up rusty items but if you use it as a lube it will expel any decent grease in there and not provide any worthwhile lubrication. That'll be why the chain rusts quicker when it's used as a lube.

GT85 works well as a lube as it hs teflon in it - also works well on cleaning plastic back to its rightful colour!!

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.