We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

What tyres?

gingerfreak 06 Sep 07:33  

Bike:

I live in north Yorkshire. I'm planning on cycling to work from my home in Richmond to Leeming Bar.

I used to do this raod route on a mountain bike with front and back suspension. I would do the route to Leeming in around an hour. (I think its 13 miles). There's quite a few hills on it. On the way back i would complete the return journey in around 1hr 30mins. This is due to a hill that you climb continously for around 3 miles. Most of the time i ended up walking. I've now bought a road bike and I'll see how i get on.

The route i take is part of the Bedale loop. The road surface is rubbish and I'm concerned that the tyres will burst. Does anyone have any advice on what is the best tyre for road bikes to use on rough roads? Better still is there anyone who has cycled the same route and can give me some advice on this?

Cheers
Ginge

forlinianslip 08 Sep 04:34  

Bike:

My Profile
As long as your tires are not dry rotted, I suspect that your tires won't burst.

I just came over the Corrieairack Pass in the Scottish Highlands on a hybrid touring bike. That is to say, it is not a mountain bike, but has tyres the width skinnier than mountain bikes. Basically I rode down hill on nothing more than a rock-strewn creekbed, without tyre problems.

dudley 08 Sep 05:06  

Bike:

My Profile
if the surface is rubbish, a 23m road tyre is going to give you veryunforgiving ride, and with the very high pressures can be susceptible to puncture (not burst)

conversely, if your pressures aren't high enough, you'll get pinch punctures, where the tube is pinched between tyre and rim as you ram through potholes at speed.

go for slightly bigger tyres. you should be able to get 28mm tyres onto your road rims and past the brakes. Even 25mm will help.

37mm would be better, but a true road bike is unlikely to have room at the brakes for these. More found on cyclo-cross or hybrid machines.

you will notice a massive speed jump going from full suspension mtb to road bike.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

johnmic629 04 Dec 05:13  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for sharing informative post. It is one of the best site that I have visited. Hope you will share more quality blog posts thank you. T Birds Leather Jacket

andrewmark 04 Dec 06:48  

Bike:

My Profile
This is excellent article, thank you for the share! This is what I am looking for, hope in future you will continue sharing such an superb work.
Mrs Santa Coat

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.