We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Rear Pannier and Rear Lights.

Pewsey Beaste 16 Mar 16:05  

Bike:

My Profile
I have noticed that many rear lights are designed to mount on the seat post, or some seem to attach by mysterious straps to the person and occasional option to attach to your lid (helmet).

Has anyone chanced across a lights that attach to a Rear pannier rack - and where to get them from?

I noticed a couple of options on Amazon - but was unsure about them.

Seat post light not suitable as got a top box on pannier - and if in "Civilian Clothes" (aka going to pub) coat can dangle over rear of seat potentially obscuring light. Currently, attaching lights to bag - but not satisfactory as they have fallen off a few times. :(

Not looking for any single solution - as for safety I prefer redundancy in lighting.

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Pending Route - 28-01-2012 17:59
sdwalker 17 Mar 05:15  

Bike:

My Profile
I have not ever come across the need to look out for pannier fasening but most good lights come with a clip on attachment I use 2 bikes so have the mount on my near side rear wheel trus and for my MTB I have put the clip on my saddle bag so I can easily swap between the two. DO you think you might be able to use the clip to attach it to your rack maybe? worst case you could canibalise the clip and duct tape it, or velcro it to some part of your hard box? or bag to avoid any accidental loss.

hope the ideas help seems to me no one has thought of designing good pannier lighting might be worth contacting a good company with the idea see if it is something they are working on

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

albion 17 Mar 06:11  

Bike:

My Profile

I attached my Smart 35 lux set rear light to my seat post.
However the set also came with a smaller ring attachment which I instead then used to attack my Cateye LED to the rear pannier tubing.

My Latest Route: Feb 2012 Bowes Railway Path Start to End

ArthurScrimshaw 18 Mar 17:32  

Bike:

My Profile
I recently bought this cateye light

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=64505

as well as the seatpost mount it came with a rack mount which also gave the option to have it as a removable or fixed light. It's a great light also is a reflector which meets current regs. You can also buy an auto version that switched on when it's dark and detects movement.

HTH

My Latest Route: Oct 2009 Binsted to Whiteways and Bignor Hill Loop

Pewsey Beaste 31 Mar 06:39  

Bike:

My Profile
Many thanks for replies - they inspired me to have a look around further. Found something by accident (in Halfords, erm....)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_784451_langId_-1_categoryId_165636

Has adjustable O-ring hooks and two sizes of O-rings.

Fitted to rear upper part of pannier on right side. Works surprisingly well. Clear of all potential obstructions and at a good height. Want another one for the left side of the pannier for greater effect and symmetry.

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Pending Route - 28-01-2012 17:59

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.