We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Pumps! - high pressure road bikes

MadGutts 05 May 16:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi guys, im after a little help.

When I got my new bike, I bought a new pump - one of the small ones that mounts behind the bottle carrier.

However, after hitting a pothole and other various lumps and bumps, i can feel the rim hit the hard object, so i went to pump up the rear tyre more... but i got about two pumps before i couldn't squeeze any more air in due to the amount of pressure i needed to compress the pump!

Am i doing it wrong? i have the new multi valve end on the pump so undo the small screw end on the vanve and put the pump on as far as i could then lifted the lever - surely its that easy!

So what sort of pump do you guys use to get high pressure into racing wheels? - i have a car foot pump with an adaptor for the small valve tyre but it doesn't seem to pump any air in either!

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance! ;)

My Latest Route: Apr 2010 Witney to Ferryman Inn, Bablock Hythe
krazykayaker 05 May 17:00  

Bike:

My Profile
Get a track pump with a pressure gauge on it

One from tesco or similar for about £10 will do and try putting 100 - 110 psi in your tyres and you'll feel the difference

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Corley Circular via Fillongley and Ash Green

dudley 06 May 07:33  

Bike:

My Profile
sounds silly, but you are remembering to unscrew the end of the valve before you pump?
just asking!

make sure any pump you buy is rated up to 130psi

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

swalld 08 May 02:25  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi

I use a Topeak pocket rocket that does the job (recommended to me by Wiggle) - another silly point - once attached to the valve the arm at the top needs pulling out to lock it to the valve and allow air in

MadGutts 10 May 03:24  

Bike:

My Profile
Cheers guys, yes i have been cycling for some 25 years! so know the valves very well, and got used to the wierd pump heads they now have too!

But i can only get the tyre pressure to around 40/50 (i think) whick when you squeeze the tyre is fairly solid, but once im on the bike it looks half empty!

Will have a look in tescos asap - what sort of pump is it though?

My Latest Route: Apr 2010 Witney to Ferryman Inn, Bablock Hythe

C50 10 May 21:10  

Bike:

I have a Blackburn Airstik 2 which has 2 setting thats allows you pump up your tire to higher psi. you can get one @ totalcycling.com for under 20 pounds. They are base out of Ireland so shipping is fast. you might also consider in getting co2 inflation system just remember to let the co2 out after the ride I been told that co2 can break down the tube. hope this help. safe ridding dude.

dudley 11 May 02:13  

Bike:

My Profile
"just remember to let the co2 out after the ride I been told that co2 can break down the tube"

hadn't heard that before. Will remember that.
No cost implications, so can't do any harm to re-inflate in the comfort of the garden!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

splits 02 Jul 02:59  

Bike:

My Profile
Out on the road I usually use C02, but also carry an Airbone mini pump in case I am feeling energetic.

Taffy 04 Jul 13:02  

Bike:

Hi all..

Co2 doesn't break down the tube, it leaks through the rubber a lot faster than air does. It scientific..... to do with molecules and stuff.... It tends to leak through butyl tubes quicker. After all it is only to get you home, then it is best to let the tyre down and re-inflate with air.
Dont worry about it too much, just enjoy cycling!!!!

Taff

roadie_nutter 06 Jul 21:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Mad Gutts The pump I use is made by Crank Brothers and is rated to 130psi as was suggested on one of your replies.

Wiggle sell one on this page:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Crank_Brothers_Power_Pump_Alloy/5360013733/#more

Couldnt sing its praises enough. Used several times while out on the road and it really did pump my tyres up to 120psi and could have done more. Read the description on the page address ive given.

My Latest Route: Jul 2010 Riddings to Eyam Peak Circular

Barrymac 21 Aug 04:05  

Bike:

My Profile
Any track pump will do. 40 - 50 psi is way too low for a road bike. At that sort of pressure you run a real risk of damaging the rim or at the very least getting lots of extremely annoying snake bite punctures.

Get the track pump and up the preeusre to at least 100psi plus. You'll notice an instant difference.

My Latest Route: Sep 2011 Lhanbryde to Rothes Loop

vigomag 21 Aug 12:59  

Bike:

My Profile
I had the same issue and have just purchased one from Sainsbury for £10 is a Canyon make so appears to be fine for me...nice and small you use your foot like on a car pump

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.