We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

New Carbon bike, Your thought please? Your advice??

Ride2win 31 Jul 13:58  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello all...

After spending time out on my alu trek road bike , I have decided that I am going to get a light carbon road bike.

I have looked at a few .. first the trek madone , I was told that the lower price madone are not great value and the the frames are not as good as others...

I looked at a canondale carbon six, evans cycles edition , it has a award winning frame, but does not have a full 105 groupset .so was a little put off , but a good price ...

I then looked at the Giant tcd 3+4 and the expensive 2 I like the S Ultegra group set much better than the 105, but was very expensive, the advance 3 has a full 105 groupset and is still the top of what I wanted to spend , and the advance 4 looked good as its the same frame, but has not a full set of 105.

I then found in a mag Ribble bikes, I get to pick what I want in the bike builder dont know much about the frames tho , this is the problem.. I did a build of the sportive with the ultegra group set and fulcrum wheels. the price was good at 1259 pounds. which seem to be good value and the total weight of the bike would be 6.025kg or 13.28lbs .. I dont know if that is good or not??

I like the fact that with the ribble I can pick what I want on my bike , and is almost custom built for me. but I dont know how good the frame sets are, this is the problem. also I am unable to go in the shop to have a look as it is miles away...

Any help would be great..

So at the mo

Giant advance4 £1650 ( only half 105 group set)

Canondale carbon six Evans cycles editon, £1399 (only half 105 groupset with fsa crank and some cheap brake cals..

Ribble Sportive £1259 full ultegra groupset, fulcrum wheels, weight of bike 6.025 kg

your thoughts please??

My Latest Route: Jul 2010 Strood to Gravesend Loop
Outrunner 31 Jul 14:30  

Bike:

My Profile
The Boardman range of carbon bikes get a good rep, I've not tried one myself though.

Ride2win 02 Aug 16:10  

Bike:

My Profile
I have been looking and looking ,,

I worked it down to

: Giant ad 4 can get it at a discounted price of £1600 :-)
full 105 , mavic wheel set, carbon frame, carbon forks with alu steerer.
giant seat pin,stem and bars
fiz ik seat.
8.21kg

I nearly bought this, till I went to halford and saw the boardman.. The boardman pro carbon is £1600 to but it is very nice, I have investigated this bike and is multi gold medal winning frame set , and was voted the performance bike of the year, it has had some very good write ups.

so for your money
Boardman gold medal winning carbon frame
carbon forks and carbon steerer
Full Sram force group set, with carbon crank!!
ritchey seat pin,stem and bars
seat unknown.
ritchey wcs wheels..
7.1 kg

At first I was a bit snobby about getting a halfords bike, but once I saw it , and have investigated it works out to be a really really good bike, I have not bought this yet, but I am so glad I didnt miss this. I picked it up in the shop and I was so impressed with how light it is the carbon crank makes loads of diff. For me to get a giant with simular spec you are looking at the advanced 1 priced at £3250 I was worried that the frame might be a bit poo!! but after reading that it has been used as a winning frame on team bikes, and still is current I thought that says alot!!

I wanted a bike to give me a bit more performance and to help bring my times down, I think this bike is going to be the one..

any thought wellcome , Will let you all know what I do . .

albion 02 Aug 16:37  

Bike:

My Profile
Halfords have always had some great bikes.
A few of the Carrera range are also really fantastic value too if you research and select.

However they prefer to push the shockingly bad Apollo range.

My Latest Route: Feb 2012 Bowes Railway Path Start to End

Ride2win 04 Aug 14:05  

Bike:

My Profile

Hi guys

still not got my carbon bike yet, I was having a good think about the boardman and I am really not sure , and the wife said if your not 100% then dont get it ..

I like the group set, like the carbon crank, but i'm just not sure about the frame !! this is £1600 of my hard earnt cash I cant afford to get it wrong

dudley 04 Aug 17:43  

Bike:

My Profile
i've got the Boardman Team Carbon

lots f heartache over it before purchase - wont look back - excellent machine!

can't fault the SRAM gear, either.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Ride2win 06 Aug 03:10  

Bike:

My Profile

Mind made up .. no Carbon Why ??? see my no carbon post .. lol.

FreeWheely 10 Oct 14:50  

Bike:

Inknow this may be a little late in your decision process which looks like you are staying with Alu. Shame really as the benefits of carbon on our bumby roads are amazing.
The thing to remember with bike frames is this.. There are three things, Light weight, Strong or inexpensive. You can only choose only two.

Shimano gear is so bloody good these days that it sometimes comes down to bloody weight rather than performance. Unless you intend attacking on an alpine accent then you will not notice the difference between 105 and Durace in fact 105 components will last longer due to their heavier weight and harder steel/aloy. The differences are made less with the addition of winter dirt and grime.

Anyway, go for the Giant if you are a keen ameture and weekend recreational rider. They make their on carbon fibre, are the world largest manufacturer with top notch quality assurance and product back up. yes there are much lighter and much cheaper bikes out there but remember you cab only choose two????

loafer 10 Apr 14:02  

Bike:

My Profile
hi have a 2006 trek 1000 alu frame+carbon forks time to up grade to full carbon been trying to pick which bike since last year ..lol was going for specialized roubaix comp... but this years model dont come with a triple grrrrr and any i did fancy i was going to have to change this and that then a club member saw one of these in a lbs http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/bikes-c5/road-bikes-c18/cannondale-synapse-carbon-sram-apex-road-bike-2011-p88441 it sounded just right went on fri to see it it looks even better than the pic feel great ..... and i get it end of this month whooooo
i cant wait

larry

FreeWheely 11 May 18:04  

Bike:

Dont get fooled by awards and team endorsements. team riders use there bikes for a season at most and in the top end cases every race so they dont have to be ultra strong, just light and stiff in places. These are then given away to sponsors and bike shops as trophies and second hand stock.

If you intend to race then go for it. if you want to have something that will last a few years then get a frame that comes with a good long warranty, is not to light (you wont notice 500g - 800g anyway) and a mid range group set and wheels.

Forget about carbon cranks, they dont make you ride better and dont like minor bangs and bumps.
If you want to feel fast then get lighter wheels as the lower rotational mass will make you accelerate faster but watch the pot holes.

105 and ultegra are by far the best bang for buck around. go full 105 and if doing high miles upgrade to an ultegra rear mech.

Brakes make you stop, why would you down grade this component?

I would go the giant and enjoy the relaxed cofidence of a quality frame and components.

DAZ1 14 May 08:31  

Bike:

Hi, I also have a Boardman Team Carbon as it came highly recommended and in the cycle magazine got 5 stars. It is a brilliant bike for the money. Good luck never easy.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.