We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Ideal Chain Lube

STID 29 Jul 10:26  

Bike:

My Profile
I was wondering what is the best chain lube to use on my bike. I do exclusively road work and only in the dry, I tend to get caught in the rain rather than ride in it.

Not sure whether to use a wax, oil or synthetic, and would love advise from my fellow cyclists.

Finish line, White Lightening, Phil Tenacious oil and Shimano chain and cable lube are some of the ones that say they are best to use.

Question is, what do you use and works for you, that mirrors my requirements ?

What would you recommend through experience ?

How often do you need to oil depending on use ? Ie, once a week ? Once a month ?

Any other advise on chain maintenance would be welcome too.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.
sonyfreak 30 Jul 17:57  

Bike:

My Profile
Bought some new stuff from my local bike shop last week called SX50, it contains PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) and it seems to do the trick for me. Repels water well and can be used on all your running gear (derraillieur etc). Am not at home right now but can provide further details when I get home if you require.

STID 30 Jul 18:20  

Bike:

My Profile
Yes please Sonyfreak, appreciate knowing more about SX50.

Also what size tin is it ?

What was the cost ?

sonyfreak 30 Jul 18:43  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi STID, sorry to put you on a bum steer, the stuff is actually called GT85 (the lager in my mate's house must be better than the gear that I buy!) I'm not sure who the distributor's are but it's made by GT85 LTD, Leith House, South Harting, GU31 5PH. Tel: 01730 825151 their website is www.GT85.com The can size is 400ml and it cost me £4.00 retail. Hope this helps, Sonyfreak.

STID 30 Jul 18:57  

Bike:

My Profile
Sonyfreak, wow that is strong larger. When I typed in SX50 lube, I got sex lubes sale and realized that what not what you were talking about.

I do use GT85 to clean the bike but have been told it is not ideal to lube a chain. Might be worth trying after all.

Thanks again for your advise.

sonyfreak 30 Jul 19:23  

Bike:

My Profile
My Barracuda Plasma was supplied by Moore Large & Co. Ltd and on their website is a link to the GT85 website, might be worth a look as to just what they recommend it for. Good luck & happy cycling, Sonyfreak. PS sorry about the sex lubricants!!

STID 31 Jul 02:59  

Bike:

My Profile
Sonyfreak, I did some searching and reading, and still a little confused. It says that it cleans and lubricates by the manufacturer, but I have read that people have likened it to WD40, and insist it is not a lube for cycle chains.

It may have some lubricating qualities, but are wax's or oils better ?

cinammongirl 31 Jul 07:27  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi STID, I have always used Finish Line, from my local bikeshop, and it costs about £6.

What i would reccomend (the few pearls of cycle wisdom i have) is that, if you are changing chain oils, to give it a good clean first (i use something called 'MuckOff' which comes in a spray bottle), as different products would have different 'adherent' properties, so you might just endup with lots of gunk on your bike.

I would say, lubricate your bike once per week, and if you're a commuter, then, during the rainy winter months you should consider twice per week.

My Latest Route: May 2010 Woolwich Dockyard to Catford Station

STID 31 Jul 18:23  

Bike:

My Profile
Cinammongirl, thank you for the help and advise. Finish line is one of the products I have read that is recommended and will buy and try some tomorrow.

Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

sonyfreak 31 Jul 18:28  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi again STID, due to the fact that you don't purposely ride in the rain and only occasionally get caught in it you probably won't need anything too expensive or anything that will stop the ingress of mud etc. My requirements are similar to your own, and I find the GT85 works really well as a lube as well have having excellent water repellent qualities. As far as I know WD40 does not contain PTFE (correct me if I'm wrong), and as it is the slipperiest substance known to Man then it should make an excellent lubricant. You tend to find that WD40 and similar products will tend to evaporate quickly, whereas the GT85 doesn't. I agree with cinnamongirl though that using different products could indeed cause residual deposits to build up. There probably isn't a "best" lube but choose one and stick with that one exclusively. See you soon, sonyfreak.

Epicurean 01 Aug 08:37  

Bike:

There was a product called Linklyfe, a hot immersion treatment, that I used when I had a motor cycle. It was very effective. I have tracked it down on the web but so far have been unable to find a supplier.

STID 02 Aug 03:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Sonyfreak, you make a good case for GT85 and the fact it contains PTFE as an ingredient. Will take a second look at the possibility of it being a contender as a chain lube.

----------------------------

cinnamongirl, I bought some finish line yesterday, cleaned and put some on the chain. Went for a cycle in the dry, and got caught in the rain they did not forecast. Looked at the chain when I got home and was impressed with what I saw. Thank you again for the advice.

-----------------------------

Epicurean, I vaguely remember have a tin myself of a similiar product many years ago. Also seem to remember it being a bit of a pain to do, because you had to remove the chain and then put it back with a new link. Never did get around to using it, and simple because of ease of use, GT85 and/or finish line will get my vote. Again thank you very much for your imput.

STID 02 Aug 15:18  

Bike:

My Profile
Sonyfreak, I also found this;
http://www.weldtite.co.uk/productdetail/394/pages/lubricants/tf2-aerosol-spray-with-teflon.aspx

I guess it is the green packaging answer to the GT85 red one. Does say that it made to lube chains, protects and prevents corrosion. I will be using a combination of the two.

Thanks again.

sonyfreak 08 Aug 17:26  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi again STID, you've certainly done your homework. Thanks for the link on product info, it does make interesting reading. Just another thought from when I was a long-haired biker, the golden rule was never mix mineral with synthetic as they can counteract each other and cause all kinds of problems because they require different solvents when thoroughly cleaning chains. Hey but they've invented electricity since then!!! Good luck with your choice, happy riding!! Sonyfreak.

STID 10 Aug 02:44  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Sonyfreak, I cleaned the chain Saturday with the GT85, then sprayed it and left it over night. Went for a 60 mile cycle yesterday (Sun), and was very impressed with it performance. Did not fly off, looked and felt well lubed, cheap and easy to use.

Thanks again for the the suggestion.

slapnuts 20 Aug 10:04  

Bike:

I heard that wd40 is bad for putting on bike chains as it is too thick? Dont know if this is true or not.

STID 20 Aug 15:46  

Bike:

My Profile
Slapnuts, it is universally agreed that WD 40 should not be used on chains as a lube. It was never designed as a lube so should be used as one. I have used it in the past to clean my bike and motorcycle and is good at doing that.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.