We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Helium in tyres

ade 19 Apr 16:35  

Bike:

My Profile
I once hear that Eddy Mercks ran with helium in bike tyres, has anybody tried this ?.
I know you can hire bottles of helium to blow up party balloons, it couldn't be that hard to rigg some thing up.

I just wonder how much it would alter the ride of the bike ?.

My Latest Route: May 2008 Yosimite Park To Oakhurst California
nicola 20 Apr 05:19  

Bike:

My Profile
i think in reality it isnt actually that practical. firstly as we all know from helium balloons helium can easily escape the rubber, and with the force that would be excerted on it, you may need to keep filling the tyres over and over.

secondly, im not sure it would lighten the bike much, as i cant imagine the weight of air in the tyres amounting to much.

that being said, if anyone has actually tried it, i would be really pleased to hear.

rhonddaexile 15 May 09:58  

Bike:

My Profile
If you get a helium filled balloon and attach a paper-clip or two to the holding string than you can usually make the balloon sink . So that's how much weight you will be displacing a paper-clip or two's worth , you'll gain more probably by having a hair-cut , hardly seems worth the effort .

My Latest Route: Jun 2008 Pontypridd Common, Eglwysilian ,Old Nantgarw Road ,Pontypridd Common

happy 15 May 10:25  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
LOL, i used to have a friend that tried to convince me to take off my valve caps, you know, to lose that little bit extra weight....

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

Stuart1 07 Jul 16:51  

Bike:

My Profile
Not sure about helium, very small molecules, would probably leak through the inner tube. I work on race cars and we use Nitrogen, not for any weight benefit but because it is dry and contains no moisture. The reasoning behind this is that its easier and more repeatable when monitoring hot tyre pressures.

Never going fast enough on my bike to get any heat into my tyres I can't think of any benefit of doing this.

My Latest Route: Jul 2008 Southam to Napton

dorsetscout 31 Aug 18:41  

Bike:

My Profile
A side effect of this is that you will cycle with a high pitched squeeky voice - or is that the new racing saddle? LOL

My Latest Route: Feb 2009 Old Bolingbroke Wolds Circuit

ashleyscott 12 Sep 05:05  

Bike:

I have seen and heard of people putting helium in bike tires, for most of us it would be pointless.
I have a friend that does use helium on his time trial bike, but that said he does hold british time trial records.
The only benefits are
(a) in your mind, helium is lighter therfore I will be faster.
(b) on acceleration, a lighter wheel will accelrate faster than a heavier wheel. However you will not have physic on your side for top speed, a heavier item has a larger mass and therfore can retain its velocity for longer.

I hope that i didn't bore you to much :D

Mark Norris 13 Sep 10:59  

Bike:

on a similar note, did anyone ever wonder how fast Michael Johnson would have run if he didn't have that big gold chain around his neck? Now that Usain Bolt has his 200m world record, does he look back and think if only....

dudley 13 Sep 11:04  

Bike:

My Profile
i would need to consider a marked reduction in pie intake before nonsense like this is of any consequence whatsoever!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.