We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Dodgy gear changers?

paul448 04 Jan 14:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi, i have shimano 105 gearchangers that i am having some problem with.
When i go into the big front ring it takes a lot of fiddling with the lever (touching 1 way and the other) before it will step back down again. All the other changes up and down are fine, it is just the big down to the middle.
I have tried a bit of fine adjustment on the cable and the cage but nothing seems to make any difference. The lever it self seems slightly lose compared to the other changer but i can't see how to tighten it. Anybody got any idea what is wrong and what i can do to put it right?

My Latest Route: Apr 2009 Sedgley to Newport Loop
dudley 13 Mar 10:16  

Bike:

My Profile
i would get a full service done by the local cycle shop (NOT a cycle chain like Halfords)

will be worth the spend, as often tinkering with the gears is the thin end of the wedge if you are not clued up, as one tweak affects another until you end up with the whole thing grinding to a halt.

A good local chap should sort it, and give you the top tips for future adjustment.

my 105's struggle to get onto the big ring, but do come down easily!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.