We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Beginner: what pedals should I buy for my new bike?

Gav 14 Jul 12:06  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi guys,

I'm currently (and very eagerly) awaiting my new bike which I'm collecting on Friday from my local shop. As I'm new to cycling (but super keen) I spent a while looking around for the right deal and got lots of advice on what entry level bike I should go for. I'm really chuffed with my choice and can't wait to get out riding.

The bike doesn't come with road pedals and so my question to you guys is what should I go for? Is it worth buying hybrid pedals or should I just go straight for the clip-in road pedals? I'm going to get shoes when I pick up the bike and just thought I'd ask before I go.

Any help would be fantatsic,

Gav :)

sallyann 14 Jul 14:05  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Gav
I'm newish to cycling but loving it so far, apart from the clipless pedals as I fall off nearly every time I go out! Although all the cyclists who master them love them, my husband is refusing to put my old toe clips back on as he's adament they're the way forward.

soren 15 Jul 03:50  

Bike:

My Profile

Hi Gav, get yourself a pair of SPD's, it will take you a little while to get use to them but once you have they are the best.

dudley 15 Jul 07:02  

Bike:

My Profile
that really depends on whether it is a road bike, mountain bike, and personal preference etc.

SPD certainly gives you the widest options, not just in pedals, but in shoes as well. You can get some almost respectable walking boots with SPD cleats, whereas true roadie systems tend to have shoes that provide better power transfer to the bike, but are a pain to walk anywhere in!

you'll get the hang of them quickly.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

sallyann 16 Jul 08:13  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi. Feeling totally inadequate now as I just can't get on with spd's........

Gav 16 Jul 11:12  

Bike:

My Profile
Don't worry the general feeling seems to be they're a bit of a nightmare to get used to! No doubt I'll be falling all over the place to begin with. Maybe I'll practice in the living room before taking the
to the road (don't know what the family would say about that...)

Thanks alot for the replies everyone! Good advice :)

Gav

dudley 17 Jul 02:51  

Bike:

My Profile
once you are in and moving, practice clicking a foot out on a whim.
Then put it back in.
Then do the other.
do this regularly as you ride for the first few timesuntil the action becomes second nature.

next, do some start / stop exercises. Soon your body will realise that the click out motion is necessary, and when it is necessary in a stop to stop you falling over.
the better you get, the later you'll ned to do it.

you'll get it. It's like riding a bike!

my first ever taste of clip in pedals was the start of my first 100 mile day ride - no practice.
certainly it wasn't an issue after that!

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Adey77 18 Jul 17:14  

Bike:

I got my first bike in 15 years a few months ago, a specialized crosstrail. Sooooo much better than the old mountain bike of my teenage years. I will say the plastic pedals on it where pretty bad, and I managed to break them the first time i took the bike off the tarmac!

I decided to buy some budget metal pedals with more grip. I really didnt get on very well with these either, and have the scars on my shins to prove it!

Finally i decided to bite the bullet and bought some Shimano SPDs, and some off road shoes to go with them. Best thing i ever done. I cant say it vastly improved my pedal power, i think only time in the saddle will do that, but it made me feel alot more efficient.

My biggest tip is firstly to adjust the strength of the release mechanisim on the pedal. If you need to take it right down, do it. Second, If you can, just practice clipping in and out without moving anywhere. It will be a bit difficult at first, and you may well fall over a few times, but I feel it really is worth it. Although, in saying that, you have to be comfortable, and it has to make you want to ride more, not less.

On the hybrid pedal thing... I did look at these but decided that id be in my shoes most of the time anyway. I'd like to hear anyone elses experiances with these.

Its funny how falling off never seemed to worry us as much when we were young!

soren 19 Jul 03:29  

Bike:

My Profile

I also have a Crosstrail and have put SPD's on it. up to now I have fallen off only the once, thankfully I was stationary. I was doing the Macc Bikathon with a bunch of fellow club members, as myself and a friend had set out earlier than some other pals we decided to stop and wait for them for a couple of minutes, as we were slowing I released my Left foot from the SPD,and as I came to a holt instead of putting my Left foot down I stupidly put wieght on my Right pedal and "wham bam thank you mam" over I went.
Fortunately I was uninjured and the bike unscathed but I did learn a valuble lesson. ALLWAYS LEAN TO THE SIDE YOUR LOOSE FOOT IS ON. LOL.

Gav 19 Jul 09:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi guys,

Nice to hear everyone's experiences. In the end (after a long conversation with the sales assistant) I decided on a pair of SPD hybrid pedals for the road bike. I must say I'm glad of my decision. I'm spending a bit of time practicing clipping and unclipping, finding it quite difficult locating the cleats when moving off at low speed (e.g from junctions, lighs etc) and this is where I'm finding the use of the hybrids: you can move off on the flat pedals if you don't find the cleat straight away and clip in when your off and moving.

An extra bonus was they were actually the same price as the clipless pedals :)

many thanks for all your comments,

Gav

Adey77 20 Jul 17:19  

Bike:

Sounds like a good compromise. I don’t do too much road riding, so probably don’t stop as much as you (until the legs give in!), so don’t have the same problem. I gues the most important thing is that you got what you’re comfortable with.
Good luck!

ozzie51 03 Mar 18:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,

A bit late but my Giant 29er bike came with a shimano pedles flat oneside clipin the other.
So before an obsticale I could unclip and nagociate wiht the flat side, then clipin to get the power.
John

winnersh cyclist 02 Sep 06:08  

Bike:

My Profile
for all the people having problems with SPDs try Look Keo I hated the spds and love the Keo max it must its a larger cleat and i can say very comfortable as they have slight movement left to right spds used to hurt and I fell off once as couldnt get spds off quickly enough however the Keos are Contador sponsored so dont know about the ethical side

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.