We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

so many bikes to choose from

HelenP 18 May 08:59  

Bike:

having just started cycling to work and making do with my 12 year Appolo mountain bike from Halfords, i've started taking more notice at what bikes other people are using. I told myself i would make do with what i've got for this year whilst i build up some experience and strength and if i'm still keen at the end of the year maybe then i would get my self a proper road bike. Only thing is i've been looking on the internet and there's so many to choose from and it's all very new to me, previosuly i'd only heard of Raleigh so have no idea on brands, types etc. I think generally i will mostly be cycling on the roads to and from work. One day i'd like to have a go at a triathlon (small distance one)as i'm already swimming and running well. I'm still getting used to all the gears, my previous bike only had three now i have 18. Are there any prefered makes/models types you could recommend i look for? Thanks

leekingston 18 May 09:47  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,

I also recently came back into cycling after a 20y absence and know what you mean about the amount of choice and changes in cycling. I opted for a Boardman road comp as it it fairly light, has a very good spec for the price and looks great. I think it will do everything I need and be exciting to use, then, if I am still as enthusiastic in a year or so I may upgrade to a full carbon speedster.

good luck

Lee

My Latest Route: Jun 2012 Medway Circular

alas58 18 May 13:17  

Bike:

My Profile
Good luck for your commute to work,

I would use your apollo for now, and in time you will find what type of bike will fullfill your needs. All the main names like Giant, Trek, cover all types and will not let you down.

If possible try and get some test rides, and buy at the top of your budget, as paying £200 more will get you more kit.

sdwalker 21 May 04:02  

Bike:

My Profile
HI Helen

I started cycling a year and a half ago and got a bike on the bikes for work scheme (Viking single speeder) it was a lovely bike until I crashed it. my point is if you live in a flattish area single speeder might be a good option as they are light easy to maintain very cheap and a good entry to road riding position. I now have a Boardman which I got online from Halfords (Don’t trust them to build bikes after I had a bad experience).

Thing to remember is it is personal choice, really shop around go in to some local bike shops give them your budget and they will give you an idea on what you can get.

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

spaceman 27 May 14:58  

Bike:

My Profile
You need to decide what is your price limit? On road only, on road and some off road, off road. Do you want to go fast, do you want comfort?
If you are doing road cycling and want speed get a road bike, or compromise is a road bike with flat bars.
Then use any of the web site such as Evans Cyles, chain reaction etc.
You can search by price limits.
Get the best deal you can, look for offers, get the best gears you can afford.
If you decide what you want and want to go second hand always remember ebay, got my first decent bike from there at a bargain, only had done about 20 mile.
Any more help , please ask...

My Latest Route: Jul 2012 Bedworth to Startford Via Fosse Way and Return Via Kenilworth

hookhai 27 May 15:12  

Bike:

My Profile
When I upgraded from a halfords bike, I used Evans online service. If you speak to one of their operators and spell out what type of riding you are doing and your budget, they with help you narrow down the selection

I found them very helpful and I have been delighted with my bike

spaceman 29 May 15:59  

Bike:

My Profile
So, any decisions yet, what have you been looking at?

My Latest Route: Jul 2012 Bedworth to Startford Via Fosse Way and Return Via Kenilworth

larrymartin1job 04 Jan 02:42  

Bike:

My Profile
Your commitment to building experience before diving into a new bike is commendable. Road bikes like Cannondale CAAD Scott Speedster or Felt FR are worth exploring for your road commute and future triathlon aspirations.
Affordable Bathroom Remodeling Services

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.