We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

seat hight

Mark c 19 Oct 07:06  

Bike:

My Profile
hi im new to road cycling, and im sure this has been asked before but what is the best way to make sure i have set my seat hight correctly

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Wootton and Surrounding Villages
rustyspoke 19 Oct 14:45  

Bike:

My Profile
The basic way is to set the seat so that when your sat on the bike with your foot on the pedal you should retain a slight bend in the knee.
But it may take several rides before you get correct riding position so make note each time you adjust the settings.

BusterG 21 Oct 06:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Mark
the saddle if import so do as Rusty says but dont forget the rest of the setup too.
the saddle can slide back and forwards as well as angle up n down.
Stem height can be adjusted too as well as the pitch of the handlebars. clipin pedals need to be in the right spot too (knees).
Setup correctly it adds up to saving you aches n pains in back, arms, neck and knees take a good look, research and make adjustments.

Goodluck.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

Cymru69 21 Oct 16:21  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Mark,
I set the top of the saddle level with the ground using a spirit level, then as Rusty suggests set the saddle height so that your knee is just bent with the pedal at the bottom. When you've got this position you can then you can make adjustments to the front to back setup, with the crank horizontal, the very front of the knee of your front leg should be vertically over the end of the forward crank, (a piece of string with a weight on the end can be used as a plumb bob).
I mark the seatpost/clamp junction with a silver marker pen or typex to give a reference and then fine tune this height over a number of 15~20 mile rides to check for knee pain etc. The front/back position won't change but you need to raise the height until you don't get any bounce when spinning at 100~110 rpm. If you go too high you should feel that your hips are rocking too much then just lower a centimetre at a time until the rocking stops.
Hope this information helps
Cheers
Chris

Mark c 22 Oct 12:06  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for all the advise guys. I guess it's just trial and error

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Wootton and Surrounding Villages

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.