We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

new guy

adam 28 Jun 04:53  

Bike:

My Profile
Hello my wife and I and son have just bought bikes and I wondered if anybody knew of routes doing the Scottish islands. I thought it might be cheaper doing it by bike than by car
thanks

Murray Barnes 28 Jun 07:14  

Bike:

My Profile
Hey Adam,

I've not done any yet, but have just started planning one in my head.

I think you're right about it being cheaper by bike. You can get a hopscotch ticket from Calmac that will cover all your ferries. The route I was thinking about, going from Barra up to Lewis, a passenger hopscotch costs £43.50, and your bicycle is included free in that, but a car one costs £176, and you'd still need to pay for the passengers on top of that.

Really, the roads in the islands are so empty and quiet that you don't need to worry much about suitability for cycling. I've visited a fair number of the islands now, though I've only ever cycled on Barra, and I can't wait until I eventually get around to doing more of them on a bike.

If you're wondering how to get your bikes up to the isles, there are trains up to Oban from Glasgow that will carry bikes (details here), and though no trains service Ullapool, there is the Cycle Bus which will take you to Inverness, where again you can catch a train to Glasgow.

Let us know how cycling up there goes.

Look forward to hearing about it,

Murray

My Latest Route: Jul 2008 Great Glen Cycleway

adam 28 Jun 13:53  

Bike:

My Profile
great price for the ticket that a big differance from the car. i went into halfords and they are selling a 3 man tent for £12 and its very light weight ideal for a rucksack.
Here is another question.
What would be the most important things to buy for the bike (i.e. puncture outfit, first aid) and anything else you can recommend?

Murray Barnes 28 Jun 15:02  

Bike:

My Profile
I've only done one longer distance route, so don't take my advice as gospel.

When we did the route from Glasgow to Inverness, we used panniers, rather than rucksacks. They do make it a lot easier to cycle, because your back doesn't get all sweaty, and it lets you carry a lot more easily. Though, repairing a rear puncture with panniers is a bit more hassle.

Definitely need puncture repair kits, and tools to get wheels off the bike, whether that's a spanner or if your bike is fancy enough to have quick release, then just get along with that. Allan keys and whatnot, for adjusting are also handy.

We didn't take a first aid kit, but we were only going for a few days, and we just completely forgot one. I think next time, I would definitely take one. I've had a few accidents while cycling, and I would feel a lot more confident taking one along.

My main reccomendation is that you get a decent set of panniers, as they do make things a lot easier. Supplementing them with a rucksack is ok as well, though it can be quite easily left behind, and your wallet is in it, and you have a 15 mile sprint to go and get it back so you can eat tonight. Not that that happened of course...

My Latest Route: Jul 2008 Great Glen Cycleway

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.