We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

garmin edge 800 for touring

tourdescotland 10 Jun 14:58  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi
Was thinking of getting this instead of a bunch of maps to cycle from nice to milan over the alps pf france, switzerland and italy.. Does anyone reccommend. Would probably have to get some knid of battery backup as ill be camping and will find it hard to charge..

mullinsm1962 11 Jun 07:44  

Bike:

I bought the Edge 800 for my recent LeJog and have found it to be pretty good as long as you take the time to practice with it before using it in anger. Like any GPS, it's only as good as the mapping software you use to plan the route ( I use MapMyRide which will throw in bridle paths etc, so always check that the route exists on a road map before loading it to the Garmin) so I would recommend taking a road atlas with you as well. On the battery front, I get about 12 hours from a charge and bought a TeckNet external battery off Amazon for £25 that would charge it about 3 times (also charged my phone)
Mike.

PS Enjoy the ride.

MichaelDonnelly@hotmail.co.uk 20 Jun 17:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi question to anybody? Has anybody used an app and toured through Spain or Portugal? If so how did it go . Thanks mike

MichaelDonnelly@hotmail.co.uk 20 Jun 17:43  

Bike:

My Profile
With an iPhone for navigation that is sorry mike

txbnet 23 Jun 06:28  

Bike:

My Profile
If you were to use the iphone sparingly (e.g. turn it on when you're lost) you may get away with it. Unfortunately, the battery life on an iphone is not conducive to leaving your Navigation app for very long. The advantage of the Garmin Edge is the battery will run all day (even two days on my Lejog between charges) but I would have to agree the Edge map is not a patch on the Mapping software of an android or an iphone.

I used an Edge for a Spain and France tour and my Android on lunch and refreshment stops to get a much better picture of the towns, roads and terrain ahead.

My Latest Route: Jan 2011 Whitley Bay to Bellingham

MichaelDonnelly@hotmail.co.uk 24 Jun 07:23  

Bike:

My Profile
Thanks for the advice. I've looked at the garmin edge and may probably get one if forced only thing is the price. Do you or anybody know much about solar powering an iPhone? I've seen some solo iPhone chargers on amazon! Has any1 used 1?

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.