We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

building a bike could save you pounds

Ride2win 07 Aug 04:12  

Bike:

My Profile

Hello all

thought I would start this a a tread of its own, Over the last feww weeks I have been looking a getting a new bike, I was unable to find what I wanted for my budget, so have decided to fit out my current frame, and replace that for a carbon one at a latter date if needed. On looking at this I noticed that on the higher spec bikes it can work out better to build it yourself and you could save £££s. thsi is not the case with low end bike , the highr the spec the more you can save.

This is an example I have pasted from my other post.

Example giant advanced 1 cost £3330 new
Build
Tcr frame £1500
mavic wheel set £500
Sram force group set £500
finishing kit £200 max
Total £2700 a saving of £600
Also if you bought the tcr frame as a bike on the advance 4 as it is the same frame at a cost of £1400 you save an extra £100 and you could sell the rest of the bike on ebay, wheels groupset, would get £450 easy that is another saving totaling the cost to around £2250 saving of £ 1050 :-))

I have looked at this with other bikes too and works out same as, It is my thoughts that these bikes are so over priced, least this way you can get what you want with reason and save some £££ at the same time, and enjoy building it..

All your thoughts wellcome ? you would have to shop around to get some good prices, like I did. I managed to save £200ish of the rrp , with sale items.

Andy . .

My Latest Route: Jul 2010 Strood to Gravesend Loop

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.