We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

advice on getting more speed from hybrid

chipmunk 21 Dec 17:21  

Bike:

My Profile
hi Im 63- bin riding since july on a hybrid (merida crossway 100)at home in wales & also in surrey i use a hybrid because i have compressed discs in my neck which make using a road bike more difficult (being bent forward more)and vibrations on bad surfaces are a nightmare - i have fitted road tyres & lost over 2 stone - got really hooked on cycling but need more speed to be able to go out with other riders any advice?

rustyspoke 22 Dec 06:23  

Bike:

My Profile
Well I would i remember the advice of a coach from my racing days you can have the best bike in the world but its down to how its ridden.
Things like pedal cadance and knowing how to keep this high in the various gears.
Postioning and so many other factors.
Cross train if you can to build stamina gym /cycling and other things.
Also as regards the bike run tyres at max pressure and de clutter to save weight and reduce any drag.
Also dont ride with the chain gang if you dont enjoy it you wount get anything out of cycling ride with someone near to your level and if you feel able to move up do so.
I ride on my own because i prefer to i set my own distance and pace and i can do 35-50 miles on a sunday ride also i dont stop at all i feed on the move and carry enough drink to last me,
In summer months i take the mileage up to around 70 and above but i enjoy the cycling
rather than going for the speed,
But what suits one wount suit all
Good luck

chipmunk 22 Dec 16:18  

Bike:

My Profile
hi rusty yeh i take on board what you say about training etc - i have a running machine at home and now have a turbo trainer for the bike and have joined a bike club -i do enjoy riding solo as i have a problem getting drink on board whilst riding due to the neck problem but i usually stop for a few secs to do so , i do about 30-40 on a sunday - im not a fair weather rider so not bothered if i get wet!!!! -ha ha living in Wales- i used to ride racing scooters in the 60s and then motorcycles so love 2 wheels( im a speedway nut) i have been experimenting with different foodstuffs/drinks prior to during & after riding -I am also getting out in the evenings and find that excillerating as its pretty dark around here(got good lights)best regards enjoy your cycling

winnersh cyclist 06 Jan 17:16  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi I am 53 and started the same a few years ago I too was wanting faster and faster mph however even though I tried I couldnt get past 14MPH average .
I then joined a gym and with spin classes and bike specific training like squats got to 17mph average and 21mph for flat sections I hate winter riding so no doubt will be slow coming back next few months.
I have an indoor trainer but even though its a Video based one the TACX Fortius its boring. .
I would recommend specialized Roubaix pro tyres they are 23/25 meaning they behave like 23c but give you a comfier ride .
If you have a smart phone get Endomondo or similar to edge you on as you can analyse where you are slower etc on a map worth getting a Zepyr HXM hrm to keep tabs on your Heart rate as you dont want to be over doing it .
Lastly clipless shoes help get efficiency in your pedaling

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.