We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

advice on a road bike

qwiksilver 17 May 09:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi,
So i have a mountain bike and go out on a regular basis with some friends down different trails a few of them are planning to go C2C on the trans pennine trail this summer on a long weekend and talk started about using road bikes which a few of the lads already have so is it worth getting myself a road bike?

i use my current bike to ride round on the roads so maybe i should pick up a road bike anyway and since it would be a first one i dont want to spend a ton of money on it 200-300 say ,i have started looking at them and came across these on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIKING-GIRO-DITALIA-ROAD-RACING-BIKE-NEW-/330539455484?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&var=&hash=item7dbc69da4c

Has anyone got any advice or do you have one of these vikings are they worth the money?

any advice would be much appreciated
thx in advance

Qwik

ozzie51 17 May 17:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Qwik,

I have not seen a bike with gear change not on the handlebars, very cheap and basic.
The upmodle is 100% better the Viking Torino.
Talk to your mates about the bikes they ride.

John

qwiksilver 18 May 07:19  

Bike:

My Profile
thx John ,i have already orderd this bike now as i spoke to a couple of the lads yesterday after i sent one an email of that bike he did some ringing round then called me to say he can get us both 1 for the weekend for £170(each) if we both buy one so im gonna call the shop he orderd em from today and see if they will throw in some sti shifters(and anything else i would need) as another guy who we ride with recomended,

the shifters are on the downtube not the handle bars guess that description was wrong but may try to convert it myself and at that price i cant complain if it turns into a project bike, we have done this sort of on the qt as they have a 60 mile round trip planned up to southport and further i think at the weekend getting ready for this summer so we are gonna just turn up on 2 sparklin new road bikes lol i know they aint trek or any high end bikes but should be fun to see a few jaws drop.

sdwalker 19 May 05:51  

Bike:

My Profile
i know you have already ordered the bike but just to let you know i have a viking single speeder bit tough up hill but really fun down the other side frame is holding out well so far quite light as it is alli based so not the strongest bike in the world and i am sure over time i will be upgrading to something more substantial which will come with a higher price tag good luck with your riding if you are a mtn bike rider you will notice your back pics up a lot of strain in the lower riding position of the hadlebar but you get used to it after a few outings.

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

qwiksilver 24 May 09:06  

Bike:

My Profile
well sdwalker i have found my back is up to the job and so is the bike but my seat leaves alot to be desired i took it out on saturday for a test ride and after 8 miles my backside was in agony,so on sunday for the big ride it was already half numb b4 we started.

I think i will be keeping the road bike bug i have gotten ,mountain biking is awsome but
it's totaly different to road riding and i am enjoying it way to much even though my seat is awful, the downtube shifters are ok for now as my priorities now lie with finding a nice slim seat thats still comfortable as i am 14 stone and then some altho i will deffinatly be upgrading the shifters in the futre and probably the frame if i keep enjoying it as much as i am at the moment, but for a first road bike i cannot fault it, it really has a sturdy feel to the build quality i personally think i have bagged a bargin for the price i paid.

Qwik

sdwalker 24 May 12:02  

Bike:

My Profile
I forgot to mention that part my saddle felt horrible for the 1st few outings, but i have got used to it now. Is the seat you have a vader? If so give it a couple more rides as mine has warn in well

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

qwiksilver 24 May 12:42  

Bike:

My Profile
No, it's a Viking road saddle i have quite a wide seat on my MTB and the last time i had a racer was in the late 80's a gold raliegh 5 or 6 speed so it has been a long time since i have sat on anything like this saddle, i have my saddles tilted forward ever so slightly and found this to be the most comfortable position for me but this one is far too small for my sit bones my sit bones hang over both sides i deffinatly need a wiser one. lol bit to graphic maybe but how else can ya put it

ozzie51 24 May 16:59  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Qwik,

Great to hear u r having a great time on the new racer.
I found with my racer it took a few rides to get the seat to work, To help I found when the pain started I got off the seat and had a 10sec sprint, this got the blood circulating and soon revives the affected area, but after 2 or 3 weeks if the problem persists it may be a new seat.
Good luck.
John

moonwalker 29 May 15:04  

Bike:

Hi Qwik,

I have a new 'Viking Torino' its light, fast and a real eye-catcher,but inportant to me,its around £300.00 pounds to buy which suited my budget.

See Ebay for outlets but I would advise all interested to buy a bike from a cycle dealer,that way your bike will be set up to your fit.

I found 'Cycle King' very helpful and because I was able to tell them I had found the same priced bike with another outlet they gave me a futher discount.

I picked my bike from there Oxford store but they have branches in other parts of the UK.
(see their Webb Site)

albion 29 May 16:17  

Bike:

My Profile
I'm not quite impressed that there is no weight quoted whatsoever.

My Latest Route: Feb 2012 Bowes Railway Path Start to End

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.