We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

What is a cycle route

Dancer 10 Jun 12:24  

Bike:

Does any one know what constitutes an offical cycle route and how they should be marked.
The police have told me that some cycle routes are put in place by councils and are not enforcible in law.

I.E. Cars can not be stopped from parking in tne cycle lane

bubbajones 10 Jun 18:51  

Bike:

My Profile
I wouldn't mind betting there are probably many aparaent cycle routes that are a token gesture due to councils either getting financial incentives for putting cycle routes and/or using the money to repair the roads. This will explain why routes appear to be along roads that aren't wide enough to accommodate both a cycle lane and road traffic and why you will find parked cars on them too.

More info here...

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/transport/traffic/traffic_management/cycle_lane_road_markings.htm

My Latest Route: Mar 2010 Wendover to Long Crendon Loop

dudley 11 Jun 02:57  

Bike:

My Profile
City of Edinburgh Council LOVE marking out a cycle lane, and allowing cars to park on it
Muppets of the highest order.
It is a truly ridiculous waste of white paint.

That said, most of them are worth avoiding, as as soon as the white line goes down ,the surface deteriorates and they are happy for all the detritus of the day, grit, gravel and cr*p to gather there. Oh, and it's a handy place to stick all the road works.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Demon 15 Jun 10:30  

Bike:

My Profile
I don't know who marks out these routes around area, but it certainly isn't a cyclist. Some of them are just useless and some are positively dangerous. And, why do they mark a cycle lane down the side of the road only to have it stop after about 10 yards? But I do agree with Dudley, avoid them like the plague, that is where you will find all the right ingredients for puncture after puncture.

Regards
Demon

My Latest Route: May 2010 Circular round Isle Of Anglesey

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.