We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Value Road bike

mark1989 28 Nov 13:36  

Bike:

My Profile
As my commute is mainly on tracks and through fields my 6 year old Cluad Bulter should manage as a winter bike for a while but it is nowhere near what I need for going around the rolling country roads of Northamptonshire, and I'm planning and lands end to John O'groats next summer, but my budget can really only stretch to not much more than £500.

I know this isn't a lot at all but is thier any road (or maybe touring) bikes worth buying for that little?

Cheers

Mark1989

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Burton Latimer to Desborough Loop
mark1989 28 Nov 13:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Could the free ads in cycling weekly be worth a punt?

krazykayaker 29 Nov 08:28  

Bike:

My Profile
You could get a decent used bike for that budget easily

My Latest Route: Jan 2010 Corley Circular via Fillongley and Ash Green

mattk 02 Dec 11:34  

Bike:

My Profile
For the £500 mark you'll be able to get yourself a mediokre new single speed bike (Charge make some pretty good value single speed bikes) or like Krazykayaker said... a pretty good second hand one. I know what I'd go for!

My Latest Route: Feb 2010 National Cycle Network 15 NCN

dudley 07 Dec 09:56  

Bike:

My Profile
i bought a second hand bike from someone on Ebay that i subsequently met when i picked it up.

old-ish, but good frame, and fantastic components. Not latest generation by any stretch, but in a fanastic state of repair. His living room (or should i say workshop) were testament to that.

so £250 got me a machine hat would have cost me at least £850 to replace new.

if you are not in a hurry, there is gold out there in the second hand market

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

mark1989 07 Dec 12:52  

Bike:

My Profile
Yeah I'm not in a rush will just keep an eye open in cyclying weekly and ebay.

Lets hope people get a nice shiney bike for Christmas and sell thier old ones in Jan.

Mark1989

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.