We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Triple or dual Chain sets

moonwalker 30 Jul 15:28  

Bike:

I have a new buget road bike with a Shimano 16 speed. The chain set is dual speed.

I also have a mountain bike with a triple.

Getting on in years, I find it harder to climbe the hills with the road bike.

Should I be better off with a triple on the road bike and would that mean changing the cassette as well.

mr.mole 31 Jul 16:25  

Bike:

My Profile
I have 2 mountainsd bike which obvioulsy both have triples on. I have thought about getting a road bike, and worried about only having a dual. You can get road bikes with triples on, and i really dont know about changing the cassette, you would have to talk to someone in a shop. I persoanlly would always want a bike with a triple on

dudley 01 Aug 03:05  

Bike:

My Profile
you will probably need to change the forward derailleur and shifter.
You may need a new chain
you may need a new rear derailleur with longer arm (to deal with additional chain slack)
you may need to change the whole crank set to get a triple in.

i think

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

sdwalker 01 Aug 03:48  

Bike:

My Profile
If I can manage a 12% incline on a single speeder (going very slow I might add) a double front will be set to deal with most hills except maybe mount Everest.

To put tat in a bit more perspective I am 25 17st and until 3 months ago did little to know excercise what so ever. I now ride 4 days a week to and from work 7miles each way.

my advice would be plan your route so your comfortable with any hills and prepare for them in advance by dropping down a few gears early and let tyhe momentum of the bike carry you to the point ware yopur legs are turning at the same rate of the cog.

Hope that helps happy riding

My Latest Route: Mar 2012 Bedgebury Forest Red Route

BusterG 01 Aug 05:59  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Moonwalker
You would need to change the whole lot to achieve the number of gears you want so that (presumably) you can "spin" your legs up hills.

My Latest Route: Oct 2013 Liss

dawes-rider 01 Aug 17:23  

Bike:

My Profile
i have a tourer with a triple chainset, but only use the middle one most of the time ,
only seem to use top when i realy want top go for it or the bottom ring when the hills are realy tough.
as you said your getting on in years like most of us , when i come across a good hill and am carring some panniers i get off and walk, though did cycle up a 25% 1-4 on the last tour near Egton yorkshire only cos there was a group of mountain bikes behind!
not that ive got any thing against them if you want to cycle the hard way all the best to you.

My Latest Route: May 2013 Newark Route 64

adenough 12 Aug 14:11  

Bike:

Easiest and cheapest thing to change is the rear cassette or freewheel. If the rear is a freewheel you can buy a 34 megarange freewheel and rear deraillieur for about £20 all in from e-bay. You will notice a huge difference with this. You may need to put a couple of extra links in your chain but that is no big deal. Ten minute job in the shop. You should not need to change the chain if it is not that old or worn. The next big step, if you need to could be to change the front chainrings for a compact double which will give you even lower gears. You do not need a triple! Triples are heavier and more complicated/fickle than doubles. Don't listen to those who boast about how they can climb hills with high gears. You cycle at your own pace.

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.