We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Showering at work yes or no

Andrea67 01 Sep 15:32  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi all
this may seem like an odd question but.....

does everyone who rides to work, have a shower when they arrive & what do you do with your hair ?
helmet head & all that ...

I'm think of riding to work but we only have showers for our lorry drives (male only) & these are apparently really nasty old things.

Is it bad to ride to work & not shower.....obviously I'd shower every day in the evening at home.

what do you think ?

My Latest Route: Sep 2010 Scarcroft to Thorner and Collingham Loop
sonny walkman 01 Sep 16:24  

Bike:

My Profile
I used to cycle to work to a place that didn't have showers and became very adept at washing hair and freshening up other important areas by use of a reasonable sized wash basin and a plastic jug.

Never had any issues with colleagues not wanting to come near me during the working day afterwards. In saying that I would personally have preferred to shower.

On a slightly different issue, if they provide showers for male lorry drivers, what facilities would they provide if they employed a female lorry driver?

Andrea67 01 Sep 16:40  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Sonny
yeah I know what you mean, Im going to see HR, to ask what they are going to provide female cycling employees...especially as they run the "Bike to work" scheme.

Still a bit worried about the helmet head look....can't sit in the office with hair going mental.
Maybe I'll just have to take hair dryer.

happy 01 Sep 16:57  

Bike: Orange P7 with Rock Shox, Michelin Wildgripper Lites, XTR Chainset

My Profile
I've worked at places where there has been a shower and without.

Without, I would just make sure I had a towel to dry myself down. Then try and freshen up as best as I can using the sink. It wasn't too long a ride in which I think made a difference.

Having the shower was much better, but I did tend to find that I would start to skip it occasionally when the ride got more routine.

As for helmet hair, what about wearing some sort of light hat under your helmet? or would that be worse lol?

My Latest Route: Oct 2010 Livingston to Ayr Avoiding A71

dudley 01 Sep 17:35  

Bike:

My Profile
no shower where i work

it really is OK.

my cycle is 13 miles each way.

1 - make sure i'm well hydrated the night before
2 - have a shower in the morning before cycling
3 - wear clean cycle gear
4 - cool off for 15 minutes in the office before changing into suit, and have a quick go with a flannel, bar of soap and a towel.

works fine, and no smell. hydration seems to be a key here.
Yellow pee seems to equate to stinky sweat.

haven't washed my hair for about 8 years - it is short - i cut it myself every time it even thinks about needing to be brushed! doesn't smell, isn't greasy - no problem - try it!

there's nothing worse than smelling like a tart's bourdoir after a Glasgow shower (spray on deoderant) so i avoid all that crap like the plague.

My Latest Route: Nov 2009 Forth Estuary Circular

Andrea67 06 Sep 07:19  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi

thanks for the replies so far

Great advice but not sure about the "short hair" one.... lol!

dudley 06 Sep 07:40  

Bike:

My Profile
clearly from the male perspective, that one!

I wouldn't support all female cyclists going bald either!

mr.mole 06 Sep 14:28  

Bike:

My Profile
We only have a small area for me to get ready for work in, But I manage to get a good wash in the sink. Luckily being the only bloke in the building, I can totally strip off and get ready. Helmut hair? Im with the other blokes here and I shave my hair very short, so its never a problem.

Provene 11 Sep 15:08  

Bike:

My Profile
Andrea from a female point of view (and I don't know how long your hair is) try combing it through with water, that will solve the helmet hair problem. Sweat doesn't smell, it's the bacteria that lives on it, so provided you can wipe it off with plenty of water relatively quickly it shouldn't be a problem. I used to run from work in my lunch hour and I found that washing off the relevant areas with water and soap straight after was not a problem.

I have been cycling into work over the summer holidays and although they do have showers I haven't washed my hair when I get it, I just rinse it. I wash it every night and didn't want to be washing it twice a day. Seemed to work well - so use a brush to get it wet and comb it through. Sorted! :)

My Latest Route: Apr 2010 Waltham Chase to Kilmeston Loop

sallyann 13 Sep 16:42  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Andrea
My suggestion on the hair issue would be to buy some 'dry' shampoo, it's brilliant. The best i've tried is Charles Worthington.

splits 15 Sep 10:41  

Bike:

My Profile
Just sweat it out during the work day, it seems pointless to get showered then 8 hours later get sweaty again riding home. Mind you I have never been a smelly sweaty person, just give yourself a few puffs of deodorant and don't worry.

dudley 15 Sep 14:08  

Bike:

My Profile
agreed - but a quick rinse and a wash at the sink rather than deoderant.
A hideous evil we're told we need by marketing types.

splits 16 Sep 02:23  

Bike:

My Profile
You soon get used to that sticky clothes feeling anyway ;-)

Andrea67 16 Sep 15:03  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi everyone
well ive cycled to work (Tues & Wed, 17 miles each day) for the first time
And I decided to just get a shower in the, now unisex shower!

Thankfully the door has a bolt on it.

Ive overcome the "helmet hair" issue, Ive had my hair cut really short, blade 3
so now there isnt a problem.

Only joking!!!

I wash my hair, then use the hand dryer...it works a treat.
And I look quite respectable!

When I get home, I just rinse it through, as suggested, rather than washing it again.

So everything is sorted, Im really enjoying it & Im looking forward to next week.

All I need now, are the nights to stay light ......

flacohandsome 11 Aug 02:46  

Bike:

My Profile
Still a bit worried about the helmet head look....can't sit in the office with hair going mental.
Maybe I'll just have to take hair dryer.

Somehow I agree with you, but still I prefer taking shower at work, first of all because of the feeling of cleanliness. As for the hair care, products from lange are irreplaceable and very helpful in my case.

seomind 27 Feb 06:53  

Bike:

My Profile
I think this is a standout amongst the most critical data for me. What"s more, i"m happy perusing your article. Be that as it may, ought to comment on some broad things Best Credit Card Affiliate Programs

seomind 27 Feb 07:00  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi, I log on to your new stuff like every week. Your humoristic style is witty, keep it up Best Credit Card Affiliate Programs

seomind 27 Feb 07:14  

Bike:

My Profile
It has fully emerged to crown Singapore's southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that. Best Credit Card Affiliate Programs

seomind 27 Feb 07:18  

Bike:

My Profile
You actually make it look so easy with your performance but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never comprehend. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it! Cashpoint ATM Reviews

seomind 27 Feb 07:22  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi, I log on to your new stuff like every week. Your humoristic style is witty, keep it up Cashpoint ATM Reviews

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.