We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Close

Road Bike

geeka 25 Jan 09:29  

Bike:

My Profile
Hi Guys,
I've already got a hybrid and a full sus mountain bike but now im thinking of getting a road bike but there are afew things that put me off:

- flat tyres all the time
- falling off
- not feeling safe

Any suggestions as I cycle to and from work alot and 70% of the time im on the road and its taking me ages to get home and i know you can go much faster on a road bike.

Tim

robray100 25 Jan 14:28  

Bike:

Tim I have a Viking, and love it never had a flat in 12 months since i got it fallen off once my fault lol got mine from www.winstanley.co.uk take a look they do some pretty decent deals, mine is heavy but i need it fpr panniers and camping gear etc.

skiad1 27 Jan 16:01  

Bike:

My Profile
Mainly ride a roadbike....23 or 25 clinchers....Pro3's, ultra race's, maxxis columbiere's & detonators for touring. Very few flats during the 10k miles of the past year. Don't own a car anymore so ride year round, and have done for past 3 yrs. Have fallen off a few times in last 10 years(black ice mainly but would've done same regardless of ride). Have felt perfectly safe and at ease amongst my fellow road users(arses exist amongst all road users) for years and years and years(also whilst touring lots in Europe, fleeing down cols, & crawling up them).......You will go much faster on a roadbike, all things being equal, and though the ride may be less comfortable, the increased speed/reduced journey time will more than make up for it. Who knows, you might even be tempted, once the lighter/milder evenings arrive, to take the 'scenic' route home. Just because it's so much more enjoyable on the road on a roadbike :)

swalld 01 Feb 07:39  

Bike:

My Profile
I have a specialized road touring bike so can fit pannier to it and commute to work. Have winter tyres on which i think helps reducing punctures. Rarely get a puncture - keep tyres pumped up. I tend to go for comfort (touring bike) rather than reduced weight/speed of a racing bike as to be honest I would speed up more by losing 1/2 stone than reducing my bike weight by a few grammes!

STID 01 Feb 13:45  

Bike:

My Profile
Looking at your list of concerns, you are better off sticking to the hybrid and mountain bike because on a road bike;

- you will get flat tyres
- you will fall off
- you will feel unsafe at times.

Stick to off road and cycle paths which are safer but you will always be prone to flat tyres.

My Latest Route: Aug 2009 Abingdon to Long Crendon and Long Hanborough Loop.

madferret 02 Feb 11:32  

Bike:

hi tim, i was in the same position as you, two years ago, riding a mountain bike to work, ect, i bought a viking milano 24 spd, and have never looked back, now use viking on road, which is SO much faster, and mountain bike on, mountains.
as to your concerns,
every bike gets punctures, i detest them, fit good tyres,i now use contntal gatorskins, but there are a lot available with puncture protection,
you will NOT faLL OFF a road bike, more than a mountain bike, just get used to it in quiet area, and enjoy secnic route home, as you will get there much quicker,

enjoy, mf

Announcement

Find the latest cycle gear and who sells them within the UK. Share the experience you have with a product with others to help them make an informed choice.